Dhanush the Indian Bofors

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
@Pulkit, I think the production will be stepped up in yearly increments, it is not uniform. The OFB works in a different manner compared PSUs. The GOI does not have to disclose the indents. So the actual number in the indents will not be known unless GOI publishes it.
Thanks for the info.

You took my query wrongly .

Why they need 3 years to build 114 was my query.

If they need that much time time what i stated was true.

What do you think is the max production rate it can attain?

@Kunal Biswas is 30-35 optimum production rate?

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

Well @Pulkit, it is a big item, with each gun costing like 18 crores. The number per year will be limited by BOTH production capacity and money. I think eventual production capacity will be much higher than current capacity. You have seen the budgetary capital allocation to OFB. The indicators are that big funds are given to OFB for expansion.

Pulkit

Country flag
Well @Pulkit, it is a big item, with each gun costing like 18 crores. The number per year will be limited by BOTH production capacity and money.
I am looking for a optimum rate.
To understand if IA places bulk order how long will it be taken to deliver it.
Say close to 400+

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is said 18 howitzers in this financial year, followed by 50 in the next, and 100 per year thereafter," said the official. Based on the current production plan, it will take around 6 years (2020) to produce all 414 Dhanush guns. As of June 2014 ..

Order size is still low ... need to get more of these. What worries me is 114 initial order to be delivered in 3 years .That make it 30-35 per year that appears to be low. we will be needing close to 400 + that too as early as possible.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Back in Defexpo 2014, I talked to person in charge of OFB SPGH, He told me as the ban is lifted out their are process to revive Bhim ..

They are looking for a suitable gun ..

@Kunal Biswas
Sir, any good news about Bhim SPG.Now Denel is free to do business in Indian defence anyway.

Pulkit

Country flag
It is said 18 howitzers in this financial year, followed by 50 in the next, and 100 per year thereafter," said the official. Based on the current production plan, it will take around 6 years (2020) to produce all 414 Dhanush guns. As of June 2014 ..
Kunal is the order confirmed .
Can you share the source or further information.

Pulkit

Country flag
They are but they will arrive in batches as most of the sources indicate so ..
That is the requirement 414
Is our IA Top elite ok with this arrangement.

They always feel like to interrupt when something is going great.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanks to Ex Gen V.K Singh and many unknown warriors, This thing is going forward ..

More likely term to be called is Lobby Cult within Army ..

That is the requirement 414,Is our IA Top elite ok with this arrangement.

They always feel like to interrupt when something is going great.

Pulkit

Country flag
Thanks to Ex Gen V.K Singh and many unknown warriors, This thing is going forward ..

More likely term to be called is Lobby Cult within Army ..
this lobby is too powerful and source of power is the top elite.

In army you can name one or two, but I doubt we can name even one from the past for IAF.

Zebra

Country flag
Back in Defexpo 2014, I talked to person in charge of OFB SPGH, He told me as the ban is lifted out their are process to revive Bhim ..

They are looking for a suitable gun ..
:shocked: :confused: :scared2:

Why?

G-6 is good enough for anti artillery missions.

And T-6 is based on G-6. If I am not wrong.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Casper, It is not known why, But OFB has its own gun now in 45cal and many other in Pvt.co`s 52 cal too ..

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Six prototypes of artillery gun 'Dhanush' have been produced till date: Rao Inderjit Singh

NEW DELHI: Six prototypes of the artillery gun 'Dhanush' have been produced till date, said Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh in a written reply to Lok Sabha on Friday. Dhanush is currently undergoing confirmatory trials and evaluation. Bulk production of the gun shall commence after successful completion of the trials and evaluation. Technical sanction for the production of the gun i.e. bulk production clearance is awaited from Army headquarters. The sanction is dependent on the results of confirmatory trials and evaluation. Infrastructure at Gun Carriage Factory, Jabalpur is under augmentation for increasing the production, the Ministry of Defence release said. Dhanush is one 'Make in India' defence project that is now finally booming. The desi howitzer can outgun the original Swedish Bofors 155mm artillery gun in range, accuracy, reliability, angle of fire and shoot-and-scoot capabilities. The Army is now getting set to induct the first battery of six Dhanush guns, which will be the first 155mm howitzers to be acquired by the force since the infamous Bofors scandal torpedoed all its artillery modernisation plans in the mid-1980s. The Army wants 414 such guns. They have been upgraded to 45- calibre from the original 39- calibre to give the new howitzer a 38-km range compared to the 30- km of the original Bofors gun.

Six prototypes of artillery gun 'Dhanush' have been produced till date: Rao Inderjit Singh

Killswitch

Country flag
My father and uncle were the middleman who originally brought Bofors to the tender. Eventually they got muscled out by some friends of one of the Ghandi kids (Sanjay I think). They eventually worked the American bid unsuccessfully. My dad was happy when I told him the army would finally get 155mm artillery after 30 years of waiting.

aliyah

My father and uncle were the middleman who originally brought Bofors to the tender. Eventually they got muscled out by some friends of one of the Ghandi kids (Sanjay I think). They eventually worked the American bid unsuccessfully. My dad was happy when I told him the army would finally get 155mm artillery after 30 years of waiting.
sanjay gandhi died much before that

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Thanks for the info.

You took my query wrongly .

Why they need 3 years to build 114 was my query.

If they need that much time time what i stated was true.

What do you think is the max production rate it can attain?

@Kunal Biswas is 30-35 optimum production rate?
right now the production facility producer 3 dhanush a month means 36 a year which will later be increased to 100 a year.

Pulkit

Country flag
right now the production facility producer 3 dhanush a month means 36 a year which will later be increased to 100 a year.
Friend you are telling what i know tell me what i am not aware of..
Like: When will it be 100 per year?
if the order is 414 then also there is no way they will produce 100 a year .
to ramp up the production they will need to make huge investment and will like to slip some money in there own pockets which will not be feasible with just 414 more to order if and only if the order is made....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If you check rest of the thread, You will find sources and your answer as well ..

Bharat forge might have the capability to manufacture one barrel a day, but OFB has the facilities to produce one barrel an hour. The speed of the supply chain is governed by the slowest process, which for a new product lies in quality control checks and low rate of initial production to iron out any production issues.
Friend you are telling what i know tell me what i am not aware of..
Like: When will it be 100 per year?
if the order is 414 then also there is no way they will produce 100 a year .
to ramp up the production they will need to make huge investment and will like to slip some money in there own pockets which will not be feasible with just 414 more to order if and only if the order is made....

Pulkit

Country flag
If you check rest of the thread, You will find sources and your answer as well ..

When will it be 100 per year?
is the question I have asked twice and no one has answered it yet.

we are looking at a number of 414 that too not yet to be confirmed.

so when a factory is not having good orders why will it put in money investment to ramp up the production rate?

Even if the order size is 414 then also the org will not ramp it beyond a certain limit and 100 will definitely not be there target.

so which is the optimum rate of production if the order is 414? keeping in mind this will be a one time order and no foreign nation has shown interest in acquiring Dhanush as of now.
the number of artillery req is huge but that wont be getting filled by dhanush only and once the order is complete
If we assume 100 per year in 4 years then the assembly will be shut for decades before the new req comes.

Please share the post which answers these questions. I have been through the thread ....
post 228 229 did not entirely answer my query if you were referring to them....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles