Daily life of the average Indian and Chinese?

badguy2000

Respected Member
A very informative and a good thread.

Thanks, Badguy.

well, you have got the right maps....
Ganzhou consists of 18 county-level units....is as large as Taiwan or Neitherland.
Its population is 9M. the population of its main urban area is 0.7M

t_co

guys, I am now more interested on the daily life of common people than political and internatinal news......so

can u please post the cost of the following in India so that we can get an idea about the amount of pay weeks requried to purchase these cosumer good in your country. Please qoute the cost in rupee

1. Condo or apartment cost per square feet
2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds
3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter
4. Schoole fees per kid in a good private school per month
5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use
6. Domestic help cost per month
7. DTV or cable TV charges per month
8. Ticket prices for movies
9. Ticket prices for public transport
10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride
I lived in Beijing from Jan 2010 to Sep 2010--a bit north of Guomao (the Beijing CBD), just west of the Hujialou subway station. The exchange rate I am using is 1 RMB to 8.74 Rs. (Source: Convert Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY) and Indian Rupees (INR): Currency Exchange Rate Conversion Calculator)

1. Condo or apartment cost per square meter: 40000 - 50000 RMB (350000 - 437000 Rs) -- I rented a studio apartment and paid approximately 6000 RMB (50000 Rs) per month
2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds: 0.49 RMB (4.3 Rs)
3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter: Did not drive
4. School fees per kid in a good private school per month: depends on the school; 40000-100000 RMB per school year (350000 - 874000 Rs)
5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use: 200 RMB (1750 Rs)
6. Domestic help cost per month: 2000 RMB (17500 Rs)
7. DTV or cable TV charges per month: 30 RMB (260 Rs)
8. Ticket prices for movies: 60-120 RMB (500-1000 Rs)
9. Ticket prices for public transport: heavily subsidized; 2 RMB (17.5 Rs)
10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride: 25-30 RMB (220-260 Rs)

aragorn

1. Condo or apartment cost per square meter : I live in my own house. but the rental in my area is around 12000 INR for around 100+ SQ YD
2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds : 4000-5000 PM
3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter : 72.50 Per Liter
4. Schoole fees per kid in a good private school per month: 36000 Per Annum + 25000 Donation + 5000-7500 other fees
5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use : Land Line 1000, 2 Mobile 1200
6. Domestic help cost per month: 3000
7. DTV or cable TV charges per month : 2 Cable Connections 500 + 250
8. Ticket prices for movies : 180-260 Per Ticket depending upon theatre/movie
9. Ticket prices for public transport: in AMTS 7 Rs is min charge. in BRTS dont know min. charges
10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride about : No taxis in Ahmedabad. Autowallas charge as per their mood and convenience :D

amoy

in CHina,Private schools ,incluidng private higher education ,are usually less prestigous than their governmental counterparts
@badguy for kindergarten, junior/senior high school, private ones (in fact many are spin-offs of public ones) seem more prestigious - I refer to the capital of FJ

Ash

Country flag
Just to drill down a bit further into daily expense in South Africa ;
A loaf of sliced sandwich bread, using Indian Rupee=INR 74.50, although you can get cheaper unsliced sandwhich bread probably around INR 49.6
A 10kg bag of rice ( brand name like Specko or tastic, unsure if these brands are available in India but they are good brands) INR 471.
Meat : The only red meat I eat is lamb - for a bulk pack 3kg and upward you can get it at about INR 527/kg, but if you buy per kg then it can cost around INR 651/kg. Beef and pork are about 75% of this price. Fish(line fish at afish market) fresh+= +- INR 496/kg.

Rage

DFI TEAM
by any measure, electricity in India costs much more than here.

elctricity for resident is 0.1$ /KWH and electricity for industry is 0.15$,tarrif included.
And Ganzhou is never a manufacturing hub,but a undeveloped inland tier 3 city.

in CHina,Private schools ,incluidng private higher education ,are usually less prestigous than their governmental counterparts

public transport in Ganzhou mainly rely on buses and taxi.....subways will not be built in forseeable future....
I don't think you are getting the point of the Mumbai-Ganzhou distinction.

Mumbai is a Tier I city, hence electricity costs are expected to be higher than in Ganzhou. Nevertheless, as seen from the compilation of tariffs, if electricity for residents is $0.10 per KWH in Ganzhou flat; and $0.06 per KWH for 100 KWH and $0.11 per KWH for 101-300 KWH, then electricity costs in Mumbai are actually cheaper in the 100 KWH bracket and comparable in the 101-300 KWH bracket, within which most household consumption lies, with Ganzhou.

Also, electricity costs in Pune, which is comparable size-of-city wise to Ganzhou, is cheaper than in Ganzhou. Now, Pune is not a manufacturing hub, it simply has a larger manufacturing footprint than Mumbai. SEZ's and true manufacturing hubs in most states have subsidized electricity.

An important point to remember about some of the better private schools in India is that they are often owned and run by large trusts: the SVKM Int'l trust, for example, that runs the prestigious Jamnabai Narsee and Gujarati-medium Utpal Sanghvi schools in Mumbai, also runs several degree law, engineering, hotel management, commerce, technology and polytechnic universities not only in the country, but also abroad, apart from several other schools and pre-primary nurseries.

shiphone

Country flag
Guangzhou is the ceter city of South China... of course it is a a Tier I city...normally we call 北上广 (Beijing --Shanghai-- Guangzhou),the typical three Tire one megacities...

I live in Shanghai ...and the Electricity Price is the same as GuangZhou ..

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Electricity costs in India vary from state to state as well as city to city. Many states subsidize electri city while in Bangalore we pay actual price plus profit for the supply company. farmers tend to get very cheap or sometimes free electricity. Theft of electricity is rampant, Distribution/transmission losses are staggering.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
In Kolkata.... Tier 1A.

1. Condo or apartment cost per square feet : My duplex house cost: 2200000 for 2800sqft
2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds : Rs 2.40 for the first 100, 3.94 for the next 200 and 4.16 for the remainder
3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter : approx 77/ltr
4. School fees per kid in a good private school per month: private schools... mine was 150/m in the 80s, my bro's 350/m in the 90's... currently 900/m. Except "designer" schools @ 5000/m
5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use : 1500/m with 3G, unlimited blackberry & the works
6. Domestic help cost per month : Part timer 800/m for 120hrs, cook 1200/m for 120hrs, full timer 2500/m 24x7, babysitter 4000/m for 12hrs per day
7. DTV or cable TV charges per month : 300/m for 2 connections (digital cable)
8. Ticket prices for movies : rs95-350
9. Ticket prices for public transport : State/Public bus rs6 for the first 2km, rs1 increment per 1.5km thereafter. AC Volvo rs20 for the first 2km, rs3 increment per 1.5km thereafter. Metro Rs4 for the first 5km, rs2 increment per 5km thereafter.
10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride : Rs 25 for the first 2km, rs2.40 increment per 200m thereafter.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
Guangzhou is the ceter city of South China... of course it is a a Tier I city...normally we call 北上广 (Beijing --Shanghai-- Guangzhou),the typical three Tire one megacities...

I live in Shanghai ...and the Electricity Price is the same as GuangZhou ..
guy, Ganzhou(赣州) is different from Guangzhou(广州).

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Electricity costs in India vary from state to state as well as city to city. Many states subsidize electri city while in Bangalore we pay actual price plus profit for the supply company. farmers tend to get very cheap or sometimes free electricity. Theft of electricity is rampant, Distribution/transmission losses are staggering.
The price slabs of homes/electricity etc also depends on the locality.

In Delhi there are categories of homes ie Category A-H where A is for ultra riches and H for ultra poor.

shiphone

Country flag
guy, Ganzhou(赣州) is different from Guangzhou(广州).
oh sorry.......but the price is the same..and the same as the City Suzhou which is 80 Kms away from Shanghai .

badguy2000

Respected Member

I just now ordered such one piece of KFC...its price is RMB29.5 plus 8 RMB diliver fee

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What s the cost of a car like Cherry?

t_co

I don't think you are getting the point of the Mumbai-Ganzhou distinction.

Mumbai is a Tier I city, hence electricity costs are expected to be higher than in Ganzhou. Nevertheless, as seen from the compilation of tariffs, if electricity for residents is $0.10 per KWH in Ganzhou flat; and $0.06 per KWH for 100 KWH and $0.11 per KWH for 101-300 KWH, then electricity costs in Mumbai are actually cheaper in the 100 KWH bracket and comparable in the 101-300 KWH bracket, within which most household consumption lies, with Ganzhou.

Also, electricity costs in Pune, which is comparable size-of-city wise to Ganzhou, is cheaper than in Ganzhou. Now, Pune is not a manufacturing hub, it simply has a larger manufacturing footprint than Mumbai. SEZ's and true manufacturing hubs in most states have subsidized electricity.

An important point to remember about some of the better private schools in India is that they are often owned and run by large trusts: the SVKM Int'l trust, for example, that runs the prestigious Jamnabai Narsee and Gujarati-medium Utpal Sanghvi schools in Mumbai, also runs several degree law, engineering, hotel management, commerce, technology and polytechnic universities not only in the country, but also abroad, apart from several other schools and pre-primary nurseries.
The issue is that electricity in Mumbai isn't reliable, whereas electricity in Ganzhou is...

average american

Some time ago I gave thought of moving to mexico after I read a book on how to live well on 800 month. Figured on 3 or 4 thousand month I could live like a king but it never happend

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles