Cricket Thread!

Tronic

Dhoni's luck is finally running out ?
Wouldn't call it all luck. Dhoni is a good leader and strategist, but he seems to have simply exhausted out of options. Indian team lacks a bowling attack, yet despite that Dhoni managed the team well for so many years. Won't blame him for being exhausted out of options, especially with such a diluted and weaker team. Zaheer, Sehwag and Gambhir do make a world of a difference. Kohli should also have been given a chance. Open with Dravid and Sachin if you have to, but Kohli should have been there, otherwise India is going into every innings with only 9 wickets. Mukund has shown his wicket doesn't really count for much lol.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Typical Indian cricket fans..tomorrow he will screw the hell out and you will be back saying captain courageous and what not. Get outta here.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
its the way media plays with the emotions, TRPs are such a tripe and then there would be enough who would have felt offended with dhoni during his high for he would not give them their share of exclusive content and now its an even stevens on play and these people are having a field day.

if media makes, they break as well, reputations that is, guess tendulkar a few years back was facing all the heat and now its dhoni's turn.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Wouldn't call it all luck. Dhoni is a good leader and strategist, but he seems to have simply exhausted out of options. Indian team lacks a bowling attack, yet despite that Dhoni managed the team well for so many years. Won't blame him for being exhausted out of options, especially with such a diluted and weaker team. Zaheer, Sehwag and Gambhir do make a world of a difference. Kohli should also have been given a chance. Open with Dravid and Sachin if you have to, but Kohli should have been there, otherwise India is going into every innings with only 9 wickets. Mukund has shown his wicket doesn't really count for much lol.
It is beyond doubt that Dhoni sucks as a batsmen and a wicketkeeper. I believe it was actually Kirsten's brilliance in which Dhoni was basking.

I believe this ancient Spartan quote is highly relevant, "Any army may win while it still has its legs under it; the real test comes when all strength is fled and the men must produce victory on will alone"

While it is good to see India play with a full lineup but to say that because of Sehwag and Zak's absence we were routed is disingenuous.

Typical Indian cricket fans..tomorrow he will screw the hell out and you will be back saying captain courageous and what not. Get outta here.
I was never a fan of Dhoni as a cricketer. He sucks as a batsman and as a wicketkeeper. And unfortunately post WC his work ethic is flailing which spells doom for all of us.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Dhoni the batsman who sucks has the highest average in ODI and his test record is not all that bad. He is not a brilliant keeper but effective enough.

Let us put it this way, Fletcher as a coach may be the problem. From a young 40 something coach with new ideas we have a 60 something coach who is probably old school and the bunch is now confused.

That said, india was in a position to win both the tests if they had grabbed their ops. In the first we had them on the mat at 65/6. We should have bundled them out for less than 150 but prior and broad were allowed to get away. It would have been an easy chase if the earlier good work by the bowlers had kept up. Probably this is where harbhajan is to be blamed as he has completely failed.

Second test too we should have finished them off under 150 when we had them at 120/8. And then the batting collapse which followed.

But England held their nerves at crucial stages and came out on top.

We miss the Sehwag/Gambhir opening combo and offcourse Zak. I don't think the other pacers have not done too badly.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Stopped watching cricket since the last test in WI when the guys decided against chasing down around 150 or something in more than 40 overs.... I felt that was end of the climb... (That's why I am too much engrossed in Indian football nowadays....follow my advice...be a football fan...in coming days you will get more opportunity to be proud of)

Tronic

It is beyond doubt that Dhoni sucks as a batsmen and a wicketkeeper. I believe it was actually Kirsten's brilliance in which Dhoni was basking.

I believe this ancient Spartan quote is highly relevant, "Any army may win while it still has its legs under it; the real test comes when all strength is fled and the men must produce victory on will alone"

While it is good to see India play with a full lineup but to say that because of Sehwag and Zak's absence we were routed is disingenuous.

I was never a fan of Dhoni as a cricketer. He sucks as a batsman and as a wicketkeeper. And unfortunately post WC his work ethic is flailing which spells doom for all of us.
Ok mate, that is a painfully short memory. Dhoni has for years held that team together, saved many games and won countless series. Infact, India is probably the only team which have been able to sit at the top of ranking tables without a proper cemented bowling attack! His batting too has been the saving grace many a times; yet, it is true, that a players form sees ups and downs, and right now Dhoni's form has been on the down. It happens with every single player out there (maybe excepting the Don). The Indian team as a whole however has been woeful. I mean give me a name, you believe can better captain this diluted Indian team at the moment? Tendulkar? Dravid? Laxman?

Tronic

Stopped watching cricket since the last test in WI when the guys decided against chasing down around 150 or something in more than 40 overs.... I felt that was end of the climb... (That's why I am too much engrossed in Indian football nowadays....follow my advice...be a football fan...in coming days you will get more opportunity to be proud of)
The closure of JCT put a huge dent in my domestic football following. Sucks bad as hell, Punjab need another major club like that otherwise at least one region's interest in football will slowly wane.

That said, well played match by India against the UAE.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
There is only one player i admire in Indian team and he is Sehwag.

You can put a gun to his head and tell him to defend and he'll still hit you over point for a four.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag

I'm actually with tronic on this one. Dhoni may be an unpredictable batsman and an average keeper, but he undoubtedly possesses a gift for leadership which he has displayed in the IPL as well.

India has traditionally had a weak bowling unit, and although Praveen Kumar and Ishant have done well (Sre Santh being his usual sporadic self) the bowling unit as a whole lacks the dominating quality required to consistently take 10 wickets.

The bottom line here is the absolute lack of preparation. The party most responsible for this is the BCCI who has decided to repeatedly pack the schedules to unhealthy levels for short term gains. It is virtually impossible for the Indian team to implement rigorous training camps for specific tours, which is exactly what is needed. This is also why I don't think the return of Gambhir, Sehwag and Zak will make a definitive impact. Neither one of these guys has undergone the necessary training and you can't really expect them to just step in and change the equation.

Having said all this one must credit the English team for clearly being the superior outfit. They possess a batting line up that can get the job done and a bowling unit which can consistently take 10 wickets.

plugwater

Bump :D

3 - 0!!

Where are the cricket fans ? frigging glory hunters :pound:

Someoneforyou

India in disbelief over loss of No. 1 ranking
India - 14 August 2011

NEW DELHI —India's loss of the world No. 1 test ranking to England was met with disbelief at home on Sunday, with one major newspaper calling it a "humiliation."

England routed India by an innings and 242 runs in the third test at Edgbaston on Saturday, giving the home side a 3-0 lead in the four-test series and allowing it to claim the top ranking.

England will jump from No. 3 to No. 1 for the first time since 1979 at the end of the series when the list is updated. India will drop to No. 2 or 3 below South Africa depending on the result of next week's last test at The Oval.

India has been No. 1 for more than 20 months, reaching the top ranking on Dec. 7, 2009, when it defeated Sri Lanka by an innings and 24 runs at Mumbai on the fifth day of their third and final test, winning the series 2-0.

On Sunday, The Times of India ran a headline reading "RIP. World's No. 1 test team," while the Indian Express said the team's "humiliation is complete."

Former Australia captain Ian Chappell, as well as India greats Sunil Gavaskar and Anil Kumble, were among those who weighed in on the Indian side's descent after 20 months at the top.

Chappell blamed India's national selectors for not planning ahead.

"The selectors' failure to address issues like an aging batting lineup, a declining off-spinner and substandard fielding in the five-day game, has finally come home to roost," Chappell wrote in the Hindustan Times.

"(Off-spinner) Harbhajan Singh has long been a better defensive bowler than an attacking weapon. And while Amit Mishra is a steady leg-spinner who has some value in Australia, he needs the faster bowlers taking early wickets to be effective."

Gavaskar criticized captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni's field placements in an interview with the NDTV 24x7 news channel and lamented the lack of athleticism among players in a column in The Times of India.

"The English batsmen have converted ones into twos and twos into threes quite comfortably and the athleticism has also been a big difference between the two teams," Gavaskar wrote in the column.

Kumble also noted the team's lack of fitness and said injuries to frontline players Zaheer Khan, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh in recent months had disrupted the team's chemistry.

"There is something very Indian about lack of fitness—not too many players are keen on the hard work and the sacrifices that go towards keeping them at their peak in crucial series," he wrote in a column in The Hindu newspaper.

Former India allrounder Mohinder Amarnath said he felt a No. 1 team could not justify such a shoddy performance in the series and the selectors had cause for concern after the batting lineup failed to reach the 300-run mark.

"Even at the end of their careers, we expect the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman to bail us out and when they don't, we see the results. I feel this is a genuine concern for Indian cricket," he wrote in The Times of India.

Meanwhile, the Indian cricket board has promised to look into the reasons for the poor performance.

"We are very concerned with the performance of the Indian test team," Rajiv Shukla, vice president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, was quoted as saying in The Times of India. "We will sit down and analyze what went wrong before taking corrective measures."

Source: The Associated Press

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Indian team no more has foreign physical trainer. I dont doubt the credential of Indian guys with the team but it is hard for them to force our star players to do anything. No wonder injuries are on rise.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I miss Gary and his team :-(. Fletcher is a Panhauti.

plugwater

England raped Indian team!! :D

Even though it is late to post this its totally worth it :)

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
India vs England 1st ODI: India win by 126 runs

India won the 1st One Day International match against England by 126 runs at Rajiv Gandhi International stadium in Hyderabad on Friday.

India vs England 1st ODI: India win by 126 runs

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
England is going to start to crib about the pitches and also their Delhi Bellies!!

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
England is going to start to crib about the pitches and also their Delhi Bellies!!
They'll blame the low bounce for sure, this is how they roll.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles