Conceptualizing "God"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tronic

Re: God is a Lie!

Who is the father of lies?

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
John 6:44
Calling skeptics liars or devil-worshipers doesn't push forward your argument. It is this type of thought which plants the seeds of intolerance. I am a believer in the almighty, and he surely does not preach intolerance; even against skeptics. There are evil traits which are attributed to an evil figure and intolerance is surely one such trait. If you start slandering or libeling against others by associating them with hatred (the Devil), than you surely must re-assess your own beliefs as you surely can't be on the path of god.

As for the Skeptics, the message is quite clear:

"The faithless cynic wanders around, deluded by doubt. He churns water, and after wasting his life away, he dies."

SGGS - Chapter 15 - Page 739

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

It's better to spend an entire lifetime wondering about the things you don't know rather than believe in fantasies just to hide under a veil of certainty.

--Me

Tronic

It's better to spend an entire lifetime wondering about the things you don't know rather than believe in fantasies just to hide under a veil of certainty.

--Me
What's better and what's not is not for you to judge. Why do you get irked by people who are completely content with their beliefs? Is it the fact that you are not content with your own?

Reactions: KS

KS

Bye bye DFI

Faith is a gift...and not all are given that ;)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

What's better and what's not is not for you to judge. Why do you get irked by people who are completely content with their beliefs? Is it the fact that you are not content with your own?
If all of us were to suddenly become unjudgemental, human society would collapse. Government policies, laws, education, culture, societal organization is all based on judgement. So of course all of us MUST judge other people's beliefs and those beliefs which are judged to be inferior based on objective, evidence based assessment MUST be discarded. What people believe drives human civilization, hence it is imperative for men and women of science to spread the process of rational, logical, thinking as far and as wide as possible to debunk and destroy religious superstition wherever it obstructs the social, economic or scientific progress of mankind.

The future of human civilization should be fundamentally based on science and the search for truth, not "belief" in myths or superstitions as a cover to hide one's ignorance.

Tronic

If all of us were to suddenly become unjudgemental, human society would collapse. Government policies, laws, education, culture, societal organization is all based on judgement. So of course all of us MUST judge other people's beliefs and those beliefs which are judged to be inferior based on objective, evidence based assessment MUST be discarded. What people believe drives human civilization, hence it is imperative for men and women of science to spread the process of rational, logical, thinking as far and as wide as possible to debunk and destroy religious superstition wherever it obstructs the social, economic or scientific progress of mankind.

The future of human civilization should be fundamentally based on science and the search for truth, not "belief" in myths or superstitions as a cover to hide one's ignorance.
It is the bigotry which you portray against other beliefs which collapses societal functioning, not the beliefs themselves! Theism or atheism itself is not the problem, rather, it's the intolerant bigots on both sides which are the problem. The reason for this is that rather than trying to study the world as it is, you exude your energy into bashing other people's beliefs. I wouldn't call that a path to human progress.

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

It is the bigotry which you portray against other beliefs which collapses societal functioning, not the beliefs themselves! Theism or atheism itself is not the problem, rather, it's the intolerant bigots on both sides which are the problem.
I partly agree. Intolerant theists are indeed a problem! :)

At the heart of the debate is the question of whether you believe religion is a force for good or not, and I am firmly in the "not" camp. In the 21st century, religion is not just unnecessary, it is harmful, the cause of numerous conflicts worldwide and the main cause of social backwardness in many countries. Due to its insistence on the supremacy of "faith" over reason, religion churns out braindead adherents who then create mayhem in society to force their stone-age beliefs down the throats of other people.

Educated people, rationalists, atheists, agnostics MUST become extremist in their insistence that religion be either wiped out or relegated to the fringes of society so that a new era can dawn which values reason and logic over nonsensical superstition which stymies the progress of mankind.

The reason for this is that rather than trying to study the world as it is, you exude your energy into bashing other people's beliefs. I wouldn't call that a path to human progress.
Of course primitive beliefs MUST be bashed! Let me offer an example. If tomorrow a group of 100 people got together and created a belief system which incorporated cannibalism, polygamy, ritual sacrifice and misogyny as the core tenets of its faith, would you be just as vehement in your objections?

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
re: Conceptualizing "God"

I think Micheal and Sam won the debate. Deepak and Jean made ZERO positive point or proof or argument for their side.

And Deepak is a neurophysician or something, so he claimed:facepalm:. Watch the entire video . He is hopelessly using straw mans and ad hominems and logical fallacies to make him right.

the problem ,as Sam noted in the very beginning of the debate ,- is that, both Deepak and Jean were trying to prove their point with some metaphysical and quantum physical jibberish used out of context at wrong places , and then try to universalise it to their deities- Namely Yehwah , Allah and the likes.

Sam called for the debate to be on the God of the present faiths-Christianity/Islam instead of the metaphorical interpretation of God the opposite team was making. But sadly, neither of the two from God side was ready for that and both were going way off topic regarding women's rights, cultural preservation, love inside mankind(Never mind the fact that all of these stuff would have been way better if not for religions and God), materialism(why is materialism bad any way?:rolleyes:) and other such non-sequitors

Anyway,good find @OP
Yeah Michael and Sam made valid, sensible points and I think Deepak just embarrassed himself. Also Deepak's argumentative style is, well lets just say, distasteful.

Tronic

I partly agree. Intolerant theists are indeed a problem! :)

At the heart of the debate is the question of whether you believe religion is a force for good or not, and I am firmly in the "not" camp. In the 21st century, religion is not just unnecessary, it is harmful, the cause of numerous conflicts worldwide and the main cause of social backwardness in many countries. Due to its insistence on the supremacy of "faith" over reason, religion churns out braindead adherents who then create mayhem in society to force their stone-age beliefs down the throats of other people.
And you are coming across no different than them as you yourself are parked in the same line trying to force your ideology down the throats of other people.

Educated people, rationalists, atheists, agnostics MUST become extremist in their insistence that religion be either wiped out or relegated to the fringes of society so that a new era can dawn which values reason and logic over nonsensical superstition which stymies the progress of mankind.
Do not put all "educated people, rationalists and agnostics" in the same league as yourself as they are not. Theism is a spiritual connection which need not contradict science, and there are countless "educated people, rationalists and agnostics" who do not take your bigoted approach to reason.

Here is one example:
Pluralistic Rationalism
in contrast to self-proclaimed rationalist organizations that ban those who espouse religious or liberal beliefs,[5][6][7][8] pluralistic rationalist organizations[9] are inclusive, encouraging communal commitment to practice reason in worldly affairs irrespective of one's current religious or political creed.
So now what? Off with the heads off those pluralistic rationalists? :rolleyes:

Of course primitive beliefs MUST be bashed! Let me offer an example. If tomorrow a group of 100 people got together and created a belief system which incorporated cannibalism, polygamy, ritual sacrifice and misogyny as the core tenets of its faith, would you be just as vehement in your objections?
Objections to the practices you have mentioned? Ofcourse. Since when did atheists become the sole saviors of human rights?

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

Do not put all "educated people, rationalists and agnostics" in the same league as yourself as they are not. Theism is a spiritual connection which need not contradict science, and there are countless "educated people, rationalists and agnostics" who do not take your bigoted approach to reason.

Here is one example:

So now what? Off with the heads off those pluralistic rationalists? :rolleyes:
Yea, and how many people specifically identify themselves as "pluralistic rationalists"? Do you know any?

You can of course put forth all sorts of obscure organizations, you can argue that there are "countless" "spiritual theists" whose beliefs do not contradict science, but for the majority of humanity which follows the Abrahamic faiths, your arguments will not apply. We're not talking about the belief system of 30 million Sikhs, but of those 3.5 billion followers of Abrahamic faiths many of whom despite industrialization cling to age old nonsense.

If your beliefs don't contradict science, wonderful! Maybe you can join those "pluralistic rationalists" you mentioned. But for people like myself who are "evangelical" rationalists (for lack of a better term), it is not enough to let the ignorant and superstitious wallow in their faiths because it diminishes humanity as a whole and stymies the progress of mankind. Call it the Rational Man's Burden if you will. :)

Objections to the practices you have mentioned? Ofcourse. Since when did atheists become the sole saviors of human rights?
So now what happened to not bashing other people's beliefs? :whistle:

Last edited:

Tronic

Yea, and how many people specifically identify themselves as "pluralistic rationalists"? Do you know any?

You can of course put forth all sorts of obscure organizations, you can argue that there are "countless" "spiritual theists" whose beliefs do not contradict science, but for the majority of humanity which follows the Abrahamic faiths, your arguments will not apply. We're not talking about the belief system of 30 million Sikhs, but of those 3.5 billion followers of Abrahamic faiths many of whom despite industrialization cling to age old nonsense.
On the contrary, despite their "age old nonsense", they are home to the world's sole superpower and the most developed nations, so clearly your argument against them falters in this department. ;)

If your beliefs don't contradict science, wonderful! Maybe you can join those "pluralistic rationalists" you mentioned. But for people like myself who are "evangelical" rationalists (for lack of a better term), it is not enough to let the ignorant and superstitious wallow in their faiths because it diminishes humanity as a whole and stymies the progress of mankind. Call it the Rational Man's Burden if you will. :)
You have to be powerful to really matter. At the moment, your ideology is nothing but a nuisance, and if we leave you at it, you can spend your whole life banging your head against your peers, the religious nutcases, while the rest of the world moves on.

So now what happened to not bashing other people's beliefs? :whistle:
There's a line where those beliefs should not cross over and harm other people or encroach on other people's lives. So the examples you gave, the religious bigots, the atheist bigots, anyone who encroaches upon other people's rights clearly does not deserve to have his own rights respected. It's a mutual understanding.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

My atheist stance is wavering and I'll probably turn into a "believer" in a few years :sad:

First you must define what "God" is, for others to debate whether it is a lie or not. There could be zillions of interpretations, ranging from a kind old man in the sky who hears your prayers and sometimes answers them (Christianity) to 330 million different Gods all working in different ways (Hinduism).
God like an anthropomorphic character is an old idea.
Now mostly educated people don't believe in it or if they do then they don't have any strong inclination but upanishadic concept of brahman may be on the rise in the future
Concept of "God" is Hinduism is very abstract. The individual devatas, bhagwan etc is an attempt to simplify it

Edit: Threads merged

Iamanidiot

The idea of God is more important than the existence of God.Buddha was Agnostic.Jains are atheists but that does not make them evil.

God and Theism has wrecked havoc on this planet

Iamanidiot

I do not know about the existence of God.But there are certainly human beings however imperfect they are who have done deeds which keep gods to Shame.Mahavira,Buddha,Jesus(if he is a historical figure),guru gobind Singh,Abraham Lincoln,Mahatma Gandhi,Ambedhkar they have done deeds and miracles which can put gods to shame.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Calling skeptics liars or devil-worshipers doesn't push forward your argument. It is this type of thought which plants the seeds of intolerance. I am a believer in the almighty, and he surely does not preach intolerance; even against skeptics. There are evil traits which are attributed to an evil figure and intolerance is surely one such trait. If you start slandering or libeling against others by associating them with hatred (the Devil), than you surely must re-assess your own beliefs as you surely can't be on the path of god.

The scripture I quoted is saying that skeptics (those who deny God) have accepted the lies of Satan, not that skeptics are liars.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

On the contrary, despite their "age old nonsense", they are home to the world's sole superpower and the most developed nations, so clearly your argument against them falters in this department. ;)
I don't see how that matters. Despite being the "sole superpower", they are so backward that they don't allow gay marriages, make abortions extremely difficult, criminalize euthanasia, and collectively, misuse their belief system to ensure that a non-faith, single, non-white man or woman, no matter how great of a leader, will never become President. Militarily strong, socially still very third-world.

You have to be powerful to really matter. At the moment, your ideology is nothing but a nuisance, and if we leave you at it, you can spend your whole life banging your head against your peers, the religious nutcases, while the rest of the world moves on.
That will only happen if my "peers" or others here on this forum are closed-minded. The very fact that we like to participate and engage in discussions about various topics means that we not only want to propagate our own views, but also learn from the views of others.

There's a line where those beliefs should not cross over and harm other people or encroach on other people's lives. So the examples you gave, the religious bigots, the atheist bigots, anyone who encroaches upon other people's rights clearly does not deserve to have his own rights respected. It's a mutual understanding.
You haven't thought this through enough. It is inevitable that the dominant beliefs of society will always encroach upon the "lives" of those who are in a minority. Not only will they encroach upon them, but they will seek to control them. For example, as a Sikh, you are entitled to be free to practice your religion in Canada. So the Canadian government not declaring a holiday for Guru Nanak Gurpurab or Diwali-does that not encroach upon your "life"?

What if you have a relative in a terminally ill condition with an incurable disease? Does the government's criminalization of assisted suicide not encroach upon your relative's right to end his life in a non-painful, dignified way?

Similarly, and more on topic, research on stem cells, cloning, chimeras and human-animal hybrids has either been banned or severely restricted in many parts of the world just to satisfy religious fanatics who see it as a threat to their faith. Is this not an example of theists' beliefs encroaching upon the right-to-life of millions of humans in medical need worldwide?

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

My atheist stance is wavering and I'll probably turn into a "believer" in a few years :sad:

Concept of "God" is Hinduism is very abstract. The individual devatas, bhagwan etc is an attempt to simplify it

Edit: Threads merged
If its anything like what Deepak Chopra believes, just check out the video earlier in this thread where he got his ass handed to him by the agnostics on the opposing side. :D

Tronic

The scripture I quoted is saying that skeptics (those who deny God) have accepted the lies of Satan, not that skeptics are liars.
I still don't believe it's a strong argument. If they don't believe in God, than why would they believe in Satan?

Tronic

I don't see how that matters. Despite being the "sole superpower", they are so backward that they don't allow gay marriages, make abortions extremely difficult, criminalize euthanasia, and collectively, misuse their belief system to ensure that a non-faith, single, non-white man or woman, no matter how great of a leader, will never become President. Militarily strong, socially still very third-world.
You're totally off. There are plenty of countries in the Western world which make everything you have written false. Heck, even in the staunchly religious Latin America you find countries with legalized gay marriages, abortions, euthanasia and yes, even a non-Native PM. Take Peru for example, they actually made a Japanese man, Alberto Fujimori, their leader. So your entire argument falls through in the face of this.

That will only happen if my "peers" or others here on this forum are closed-minded. The very fact that we like to participate and engage in discussions about various topics means that we not only want to propagate our own views, but also learn from the views of others.
If you weren't closed-minded, you would not be calling for the eradication of other people's beliefs and we would not be having this discussion.

You haven't thought this through enough. It is inevitable that the dominant beliefs of society will always encroach upon the "lives" of those who are in a minority. Not only will they encroach upon them, but they will seek to control them. For example, as a Sikh, you are entitled to be free to practice your religion in Canada. So the Canadian government not declaring a holiday for Guru Nanak Gurpurab or Diwali-does that not encroach upon your "life"?
No, it does not encroach upon my way of life!! It's ridiculous to think that! I live in Canada so if I had to actually sit down and convince myself by "thinking it through" that I'm being discriminated, than obviously, I'm not being discriminated!! Who said that on Diwali and Gurpurab you should not work? Sikhism's main concept is to work hard and keep striving for betterment (Kirat Karo). Canada is a Christian majority country and I have no problem at all sitting at home and getting paid doing nothing or going to work and getting paid double the money on Christian holidays! That's a gift in itself! :lol:

And this is the point I keep raising about intolerant theists and atheists. You think on the exact same lines as your divisive peers!

What if you have a relative in a terminally ill condition with an incurable disease? Does the government's criminalization of assisted suicide not encroach upon your relative's right to end his life in a non-painful, dignified way?
Don't connect that with this topic since euthanasia is a separate topic in itself. In atheist China, euthanasia is still illegal, while in Christian conservative country like Mexico, it is legal. So again, your argument doesn't add up.

Similarly, and more on topic, research on stem cells, cloning, chimeras and human-animal hybrids has either been banned or severely restricted in many parts of the world just to satisfy religious fanatics who see it as a threat to their faith. Is this not an example of theists' beliefs encroaching upon the right-to-life of millions of humans in medical need worldwide?
You have got to be kidding me!!! Firstly, you are making things very vague and stem cell research or even cloning is not banned! However, when we come to a point where we involve humans, than there are very clear ethical issues involved!! It's as I said before, human rights should be respected above all else, and you can also join that line! It is the topic of cloning humans, or pulling cells out of human embryos which are a clear ethical issue! I don't have to be religious or even a theist to oppose human-animal hybrids!!! :shocked:

And with that, clearly, we should not only be vary of theist fanatics but also unethical atheist fanatics!! Your assertions of human-animal hybrids are absurd man! Straight out of some Dr. Evil movie!

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

You're totally off. There are plenty of countries in the Western world which make everything you have written false. Heck, even in the staunchly religious Latin America you find countries with legalized gay marriages, abortions, euthanasia and yes, even a non-Native PM. Take Peru for example, they actually made a Japanese man, Alberto Fujimori, their leader. So your entire argument falls through in the face of this.
Now you're selectively cherry-picking examples to advance your point. You were the one who brought up the "sole superpower" argument, so I countered it with examples of religious backwardness stymieing social progress . Now you're talking about Peru and other countries. We can go there if you want, as long as you don't jump to another country yet again:

Religion in Peru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although the Constitution states that there is freedom of religion, the law mandates that all schools, public and private, impart religious education as part of the curriculum throughout the education process (primary and secondary).[3] Catholicism is the only religion taught in public schools. In addition, Catholic religious symbols are found in all government buildings and public places.

If you weren't closed-minded, you would not be calling for the eradication of other people's beliefs and we would not be having this discussion.
It's called "education" and "societal enlightenment", and its very purpose is eradication of primitive beliefs. I hope you never get into a position where you have to direct state policy, because if you do, your "let people believe what they want" attitude isn't going to be conducive to policy making.

No, it does not encroach upon my way of life!! It's ridiculous to think that! I live in Canada so if I had to actually sit down and convince myself by "thinking it through" that I'm being discriminated, than obviously, I'm not being discriminated!! Who said that on Diwali and Gurpurab you should not work? Sikhism's main concept is to work hard and keep striving for betterment (Kirat Karo). Canada is a Christian majority country and I have no problem at all sitting at home and getting paid doing nothing or going to work and getting paid double the money on Christian holidays! That's a gift in itself! :lol:

And this is the point I keep raising about intolerant theists and atheists. You think on the exact same lines as your divisive peers!

So the fact that you're being subject to religious discrimination by the state funding faith based holidays of one particular group but not another doesn't matter? In a truly secular state, why should the state give preference to one religious group over another? How about the fact that some Canadian provinces fund Catholic schools from the public purse, but refuse to similarly support schools of other denominations?

What about atheists/agnostics who have to pay taxes for these religious schools or holidays? Why should they be forced to do so?

My point is that you're taking a very simplistic and "Indian" view, which is somewhat idealistic and does not apply in real life. We can't just let people believe what they want because the results of those beliefs then ripple out across the entire society. A small group of religious fundamentalists can cause changes in the law which would then negatively impact the rest of the population.

Did you hear about the recent case of a German Jew who filed a lawsuit against his parents for circumcising him as a child? The court ruled in his favour, judging that his parents had no right to mutilate his genitals for the sake of their religious beliefs, and that circumcision should be an individual's personal decision when he reaches the age of majority. An eminently sensible ruling, but it was overturned by a law brought soon after that made such lawsuits impermissible.

The point in all this is that if theism was limited to a spiritual belief and did not extend beyond that, everyone would be fine with it. But in the vast majority of cases, the type of brain that produces a theist is also the type of brain that is closed to reason, logic, and rational thinking on a universal scale. By definition, a theist "believes" vehemently in something that cannot be proven to be true through any logical, rational or deductive argument. This pattern of thought process also makes the theist vulnerable to belief in other things which are not supported by evidence, whether it be superstitions related to his/her faith as in the circumcision case above or in terms of imposing his beliefs on society when it comes to laws that are modelled on religious beliefs.

Don't connect that with this topic since euthanasia is a separate topic in itself. In atheist China, euthanasia is still illegal, while in Christian conservative country like Mexico, it is legal. So again, your argument doesn't add up.
Again you are cherry picking examples to suit your thesis. In Mexico, only "passive euthanasia" is legal. This is not euthanasia at all, because the patient's only choice is to refuse medication, which will slowly, and in many cases, painfully cause death after many weeks or months of suffering. The whole purpose of euthanasia is to avoid this suffering and allow the patient to choose a quick, speedy and painless death. This is still not allowed due to theists asserting their right to make life and death choices for people they have no relation to:

Euthanasia in Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legislation on euthanasia in Mexico distinguishes between passive and active euthanasia. Since 7 January 2008 the law allows the terminally ill —or closest relatives, if unconscious— to refuse medication or further medical treatment that may extend life (known as passive euthanasia) in Mexico City,[1] in the state of Aguascalientes (since 6 April 2009)[2] and, since 1 September 2009, in the state of Michoacán.[3]

While the exact procedure may vary, the regional laws dealing with living wills —usually called leyes de Voluntad Anticipada— generally require a notary public to witness the instructions left by the patient.

As for active euthanasia, the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) and the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) have introduced bills to decriminalize it in both the Senate (2007)[4] and the Legislative Assembly of the Federal District (2009),[5] but have failed to change the Article 166 bis 21 of the General Health Law, which still defines euthanasia as mercy homicide.[6] In addition, as of December 2010, 18 out of 31 states have modified their constitution under pressure from the dominant Catholic Church to protect the right to life "from the moment of conception until natural death",[7] effectively discarding any initiative contemplating active euthanasia within state borders.
In general, only societies which are socially liberal and mostly irreligious are the ones who have any sort of euthanasia legislation.

There is a strong correlation between lack of religious belief and compassion for others especially in cases of terminal illnesses:

Voluntary euthanasia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of 2009, some forms of voluntary euthanasia are legal in Belgium,[1] Luxembourg,[2] the Netherlands,[1] Switzerland,[1] and the US states of Oregon[3] and Washington.[4]

You have got to be kidding me!!! Firstly, you are making things very vague and stem cell research or even cloning is not banned! However, when we come to a point where we involve humans, than there are very clear ethical issues involved!! It's as I said before, human rights should be respected above all else, and you can also join that line! It is the topic of cloning humans, or pulling cells out of human embryos which are a clear ethical issue! I don't have to be religious or even a theist to oppose human-animal hybrids!!! :shocked:

And with that, clearly, we should not only be vary of theist fanatics but also unethical atheist fanatics!! Your assertions of human-animal hybrids are absurd man! Straight out of some Dr. Evil movie!
Maybe you don't read the news. Stem cell research was banned until last year in the US:

Stem Cell Research Ban Overturned By U.S. Appeals Court

Human cloning is banned as well:

On December 13, 2001, the United Nations General Assembly began elaborating an international convention against the reproductive cloning of humans. A broad coalition of States, including Spain, Italy, the Philippines, the United States, Costa Rica and the Holy See sought to extend the debate to ban all forms of human cloning, noting that, in their view, therapeutic human cloning violates human dignity. Costa Rica proposed the adoption of an international convention to ban all forms of human cloning. Unable to reach a consensus on a binding convention, in March 2005 a non-binding United Nations Declaration on Human Cloning calling for the ban of all forms of Human Cloning contrary to human dignity, was adopted.[14]
Remember, human cloning does not necessarily have to lead to cloned babies, as "Therapeutic cloning" is only for the purposes of organ transplants.

Besides, you're the one who was vague with statements like "There's a line where those beliefs should not cross over and harm other people or encroach on other people's lives. So the examples you gave, the religious bigots, the atheist bigots, anyone who encroaches upon other people's rights clearly does not deserve to have his own rights respected."

This is the height of simplicity and vagueness. I was merely providing specific examples to demonstrate how you cannot just allow people to have whatever beliefs they want beyond a point, because their beliefs shape society and will eventually, affect you personally as well.

As for stem cell research, cloning etc, I don't see *what* the ethical issues are. The problem with theists is that they like to hide behind "ethics" without specifying what exactly they mean by that word, because if they were to explain their reasoning, it would become clear that what they were talking about was "morality", which is quite separate from ethics. Morality is not universal, and it springs from the specific theistic beliefs that people hold, hence to hide behind "ethics", which is a more acceptable word is a cop-out, nothing more.

What if a doctor told you that stem cell research could save the lives of millions of human beings who die every year due to lack of organ donors? Same applies to human-animal hybrids, which could provide an abundant source for organ and blood transplants. This is a very real problem that results in avoidable deaths worldwide, so what could be "ethically wrong" in preventing it?

Did you ever stop to think why only cloning and stem cell research has suffered so much backlash whereas the development of the A-bomb or all kinds of advanced weapons research never gets the same kind of attention? I can't for the life of me see how one can oppose research that will save the lives of millions in need while condoning research that will kill millions.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the dominant religions of the world never prohibited killing other tribes of human beings, but issued clear judgements for how their followers should lead their own lives?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles