Bengal Famine - Churchill deliberately let millions of Indians starve to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
He is the man India would have happily lived without him, He was never supportive to India also i heard he treated Indians like more or less slaves only.

And lol when the congress govt not provide the rotting grains for poor and rather let it go waste even after SC crack down i can understand the situation that fagot who is a foreigner any way may have been :p

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes, it was the infamous Bengal Famine!

panduranghari

What's wrong with seeing them as "valued friends" now? Not that I think they are that valued - but what is the point of constantly harping on the past? It is already 70+ years. If you keep grudges from pre-WW2 days, there will be a million things to crib about, by many nations.

I always believe that it is silly to punish (or hold responsible) people's descendants for the crimes their ancestors may have committed. It is like a so-called "lower caste person" who achieves a high position in corporate India, and then begins raging at present-day so-called "higher castes" for the crimes the latter's distant ancestors may have committed against the former's distant ancestors!!

The UK is fine, I am more worried about the pappi-jhappi with Pakis that we seem to be seeing nowadays. That is something that we should stay well away from.
You are correct. However, just for the record I wrote to the Churchill museum in London 3 years ago or thereabouts and asked them why does this episode does not find any mention. They did not reply.

Brits are 2 faced creatures. There are not many people who love going to war as much as the Brits. Of course, they call it protecting interests.

If its of any solace, if you ask kids today who is Churchill, they will say he is the dog in the insurance advert.

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I'm not sure that the Japanese ever intended to invade India. And war priorities don't imply starving people to death, if that were the case France should've faced similar famines before it was occupied. It wasn't our war in the first place.
I don't know either if Japan intended to invade India. I just know that China suffered incredible brutality under the Japanese. Certainly the Japanese considered Indians no better than Chinese?

Son of Govinda

I don't know either if Japan intended to invade India. I just know that China suffered incredible brutality under the Japanese. Certainly the Japanese considered Indians no better than Chinese?
Azad Hind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Japanese had every intention of freeing India from British colonial rule and establishing Azad Hind just like Germany. Japan's imperial program was meant strictly for east Asia. A strong and powerful ally in southern Asia would only solidify Japanese hegemony over eastern Asia, so it wouldn't make sense to try and colonize India. It was perfectly clear that the only way to prevent all out civil war in India was independence, and the Japanese were well aware of it.

LalTopi

Around Millions Indians Died due to starvation..

Its our past, we should learn from it rather forget it as a bad memory..
If I recall correctly Mudhushree's best estimate was 3 million. And no, one must never forget. In Britain, on November 11, each year we have remembrance day, and I make it a point to also remember the Indian fallen - soldiers and civilians.

In terms of lessons learned, I think that the main lesson is that disunity results in a terrible price that your children and grandchildren have to face under a foreign yoke.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
this is merely a "clinical" reply ............ from your post above, i can immediately tell you are no indian ( earlier i had though you might have been ) ....and this is nothing about any kind of comparison

Country flag
The British Indian regiments in Burma and the Northeast defeated the Japanese in Burma.
Something China could not do until the allies came to their rescue including Indians.

http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=59

Invasion of Burma

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4C2B25FC-2E6C-45F9-B785-8A75139E9A0A/0/ww2_kohima.pdf

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/worldwarii/p/World-War-Ii-Battle-Of-Singapore.htm

Battle of Singapore

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...8-chinese-troops-being-trained-india-ww2.html

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
War priorities. Would more Indians have died had the Japanese overrun India?
which history book have you been reading man ? what is your appreciation of what had been read ? where is the understanding of the polarisation of the forces of that day ?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
which history book have you been reading man ? what is your appreciation of what had been read ? where is the understanding of the polarisation of the forces of that day ?
You answer my one question with three of your own. You win.

arkem8

Country flag
To understand properly the British mindset one must understand a simple point--"in order to justify the loot, rape and genocide of a native culture and people, it must be thoroughly demonised and denigrated first".....

Even today the tranquility in British pysche is inextricably and inversely linked to the demonization of the "other" that is India, for years after independence the narrative of India under the charge of the British and their pliant collaborators in the Indian intellectual class(who consider themselves to be internationalist or western rather than indic).

Today in the digital age of widespread dissemination of information, the British strategy is slowly but irreversibly becoming unravelled as the real magnitude of their heinous crimes is becoming more and more apparent. This is the same "noble and humane Anglo Saxon" Britain that fought aginst the "demonic hordes of the Germanic Nazis"--only to do very similar things to the Indians as the Germans did the Jews, Slavs and Gypsies...

Mark my words if Churchill and the British ruling elites could see the future of India 50-60 years hence(circa 2005)-- with nuclear weapons, space programme, long range missiles, trillion dollar economy etc-etc--they would never have left, and instead would probably have killed half the population in an "unfortunate famine". Churchill's famous "the idea of Indian nationhood is no more than the idea of the equator" underlines and betrays the prevailing mentality of the British system till this day.

I hope the following examples will serve to illustrate the points I have made above:-
1. British attitude towards Space Programme
2. Outrage at outcome of MMRCA /Eurofighter rejection
3. Persistant Image of aid, NGO's, slums, poverty(the undesirable other)
4. Outrage in '98 after nuclear tests
5. Trying to apply pressure for a premature ceasefire in 71 and 65 via diplomatic channels
6. Doing equal=equal wrt Pakistan (this point is very important to understand the Western mindset in general)
7. Support to fifth columnists like maoists, kashmiri and Khalistani terrorists, missionaries, "human rights activists", certain politicians...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Churchill was a Charlie!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
You answer my one question with three of your own. You win.
ok ok also i was a bit high on bordeaux wines ( wee hours of the morning ) - sober now - ! but i just felt it was being read rather incorrectly - the japs would have done a lot to free india and win her friendship - wresting india away from brit-Am influence and control ......they wouldnt have taken india for themselves

Blackwater

we are doing the same now .we are making lot of goras deprive of NHS service,social benefits, jobs in UK:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
ok ok also i was a bit high on bordeaux wines ( wee hours of the morning ) - sober now - ! but i just felt it was being read rather incorrectly - the japs would have done a lot to free india and win her friendship - wresting india away from brit-Am influence and control ......they wouldnt have taken india for themselves
That subject may deserve a thread of its own. Let me think about it. I am trying to think of a part of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere] that would have been autonomous.
The original concept was an idealistic wish to free Asia from colonizing powers, but soon, nationalists saw it as a way to gain resources to keep Japan a modern power, and militarists saw the same resources as raw materials for war.[3] Many Japanese were drawn to it as idealistic.[4] Many of them remained convinced, throughout the war, that the Sphere was idealistic, offering slogans in a newspaper competition, praising the sphere for constructive efforts and peace.[5]...The term "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" is remembered largely as a front for the Japanese control of occupied countries during World War II, in which puppet governments manipulated local populations and economies for the benefit of Imperial Japan.

Real members at dates formally formed the Sphere during maximal area of Japanese expansion:

Merchant flag of Japan (1870).svg Japan with governments-general
Manchukuo 27.09.1940–
Mengjiang (Outer Mongolia) 27.09.1940–
Republic of China 29.03.1941–
State of Burma 01.08.1943–
Republic of the Philippines: 1942–
Empire of Vietnam 11.03.1945—23.08.1945
Kingdom of Kampuchea 09.03.1945–15.04.1945
Kingdom of Laos 1944–1945
Azad Hind 1943–1945
Kingdom of Thailand 21.12.1941–
Republic of Singapore 15.02.1942– 1945
Malaya 15.02.1942– 1945
And this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azad_Hind

Ārzī Hukūmat-e-Āzād Hind (Hindi: आर्ज़ी हुक़ूमत-ए-आज़ाद हिन्द; Urdu: عارضی حکومت-ِ آزاد ہند; the Provisional Government of Free India), or, more simply, Free India[1][2] (Azad Hind), was an Indian provisional government established in Singapore in 1943.
Another interesting link:

East Asia Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
That subject may deserve a thread of its own. Let me think about it. I am trying to think of a part of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere] that would have been autonomous.

And this:

Azad Hind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another interesting link:

East Asia Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
doesnt take into account the fact that - IN THAT DAY - one cardinal aspect on which empires were built was - ETHNICITY ! russians took in only the slavic nations , nato was basically west-european , the japs were interested in an EAST-ASIAN ( mongolian type ) empire not SOUTH asian or even central asian .....INA was a collaborative effort in which the japs were helping Bose wrest india away from the brits

btw ...... most EAST asians do not consider south asian or even central asian to be ethnically or culturally related to them .......explains a lot of the enmity coming from the chicoms on this forum

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
doesnt take into account the fact that - IN THAT DAY - on cardinal aspect on which empires were built eas - ETHNICITY ! russians took in the slavic nations , nato was basically pan-european , the japs were interested in an ESAT-ASIAN ( mongolian type ) emipre not SOUTH asian or even central asian .....INA was a clooaborative effort in which the japs werer helping Bose wrest india away from the brits

btw most EAST asians do not consider south asian or even central asian to be relatred to them .......explains a lot of the enmity coming from the chicoms on ths forum
So if INA had been a success for the Japanese, what would have been the relationship between an India independent of Britain and the Japanese Empire? That is the key question. Would the Japanese consider India and its people to be equals?

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
So we forget all the old crimes?
You wanna say that hitler is biggest mass killer in the history but don't wanna acknowledge the one's happened in the past? 😵 This is a flawed logic.
Even in 1943 more than 3 million people died in india in Bengal because of human made famine.
Everyone have their fair share history of human rights abuse mass killing genocide and other things.
The only reason why i like Germany is they own the things which they did even tho that made their society RW phobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles