Chinese hand grenade practice almost went wrong

ice berg

I admit i laughed at first until I realised how dangerouse that was. Salut to the drill officer.

Moment a Chinese soldier almost kills himself with fluffed hand grenade practice | Mail Online

Talk about butterfingers... Moment a Chinese soldier almost kills himself with fluffed hand grenade practice

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 12:54 AM on 25th December 2011
This is the hair-raising moment a Chinese soldier almost killed himself after fluffing hand grenade practice.
Footage of the army training exercise shows the soldier preparing the hand grenade to throw it under the watchful eye of his drill sergeant.
However, the new recruit fails miserably and throws it into a wall in front of him and it promptly bounces off and falls into the ditch where he's standing.Scroll down for video

Watch the video her
<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Arial">

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
During my active service we had a first lieutenant go downrange and pick up a 40mm practice grenade fired from an M203, and which had failed to explode. It exploded in his hand, and he lost three fingers from his right hand.

Later as barracks NCOIC I had to report to him when he came to inspect us. As we saluted each other I tried to avoid looking at his ruined hand.

Another time a different 1LT fired a grenade out of an M203 from behind a barricade such that the grenade launcher barrel was below the upper edge. Fortunately the grenade did not arm.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This is how you do it..

That stick Grenade is bit different in throw ..

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
That stick Grenade is bit different in throw .
True. I once threw an artillery simulator with approximately the same dimensions. It landed on the end of my boot. :-D

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
If civilian citizens of a nations act as our soldiers do than the we will have more peaceful society and progressive nations around the world.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Interesting way they do it in China.

The stand on a earth embankment and then throw.

In other countries, they take stand up to the sandbag and mud wall and get the cover behind the sandbag and mud wall and then throw, wherein the hand goes over the wall and then after the fall, all duck below the sandbag and mud wall.

Since the hand with the grenade will go over the 'wall' before being released, there is no chance of its falling into the grenade throwing bay.

The only way there can be an accident is if the thrower does not duck behind the wall. To ensure that the thrower is not mesmerised into inaction, the instructor keeps a hand behind the neck and pulls him down, once the grenade is thrown.

Notwithstanding, the Chinese instructor's presence of mind that saved the soldier misthrowing the grenade is commendable!

Last edited:

pmaitra

Now after seeing both the videos, I think the main problem is getting tensed and being too careful. I don't want to make this 'too' sound too metaphorical, but too much tension and too much caution causes the body and muscles to stiffen up and people end up screwing things up which they would otherwise have done with ease. [pardon me for using too many 'too's!]

I mean, c'mon, how difficult is to to throw a cricket ball the size or weight of the grenade? Even kids do it, with ease. However, if the kid, or even a grown man was told that it will explode in 3 seconds, he will get nervous. Also think about walking on the railway tracks. Even kids can walk on railway tracks and cover 20-30 yards balancing themselves and never falling. I wonder how well they'll perform if the same railway track was placed 100 feet above ground.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is a 4 sec fuse and indeed, those who are new to grenade throwing do get tensed up.

However, to get them to get used to grenade throwing, a whole lot of dummy grenade throwing practices are done over a quite many days before they are taking to the actual grenade firing range and put in the bay with an instructor.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
That stick Grenade is bit different in throw .
Model 24 grenade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Model 24 Stielhandgranate was the standard hand grenade of the German Army from the end of World War I until the end of World War II. The very distinctive appearance led to its being called a "stick grenade", or a "potato masher" in British Army slang, and is today one of the most easily recognized infantry weapons of the 20th century.

indian_sukhoi

Throwing away miss practice grenade is really ***** job to apply for!!

The instructors are well experience people, They always be on high alert and ready for worst case!!

True. I once threw an artillery simulator with approximately the same dimensions. It landed on the end of my boot. :-D
lol,..........The look on the Instructor face must be priceless!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Throwing away miss practice grenade is really ***** job to apply for!!

The instructors are well experience people, They always be on high alert and ready for worst case!!

lol,..........The look on the Instructor face must be priceless!!!
Actually, while it has its dangers, the grenade throwing practice is not really that scary.

But yes, with recruits or young soldiers (as newbies are called) one has to be doubly careful.

In any live firing of any weapon or grenade throwing, there are many safety measures taken so that the chances of accidents are less.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

To me its something to do with the deign too, Such small handle to throw..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles