China to "cut army, boost air force, navy"

Martian

Respected Member
If I were running India, I wouldn't buy any aircraft carriers. The money that is saved will be invested in long-term R&D, such as KE ASAT.

It appears that the Chinese spent approximately 40 years of R&D on KE ASAT technology. There is a reason why only two countries on the planet have KE ASAT technology. This stuff isn't easy.

However, India will not do the rational thing as I have suggested above. It should be apparent that India can control the Indian Ocean with airpower from airforce bases on land. India does not need multibillion dollar aircraft carriers that can only carry a couple of dozen planes. Aircraft carriers are expensive to buy, equip, operate, maintain, repair, upgrade, and to train the crew.

In my opinion, politicians care more about their own pockets. The politicians will continue with these unnecessary multibillion-dollar foreign military purchases, because the kickbacks are enormous and virtually untraceable. No politician will invest money into a multi-decade KE ASAT project.

But, you protest, the CCP did it! Well, the CCP politburo is full of engineers. They're politicians too, but they have a strong engineering streak. I read somewhere that someone felt that the CCP was the best government that China has had in her 5,000 year history. Hey, sometimes you get lucky.

Vladimir79

Professional
Well Martian, let me explain the realities to you about what China did and where Russia is, starting with the basics. Picking up LEO satellites is something amateur astronomers due on a daily basis. The orbits of these space objects are well known and the future position of them are easily calculated. You can find the orbits and positions of most satellites online. Taking this into account, China knew exactly where and when that SAT was going to be at precisely the second they launched their interceptor. Chinese spent months getting the calculations just right and could only launch it at that specific time on that specific day to achieve intercept. China puts radio beacons on all their weather SATs so that getting an updated position for precise rocket telemetry for a KE kill was not that difficult.

Now the position of where Russia is; we have had a moratorium on ASAT weapons since before I was born. All those systems in the 70s that were operational are either in a museum or scrapped from old age. What Popovkin was referring to was the refit to our MiG-31s that carry ASAT missiles. It is state policy that we do not want the weaponisation of space but we must have some ability to respond if attacked. A MiG-31 can pop up its nose, scan space and launch on a target at a moments notice and we have had this capability for decades. China is only running basic telemetry kills with the same calculations used to launch payloads into space. While they do have better computers that were not available to us in the sixites, what they have done is still the same simple telemetry calculation with a bit of fine tuning for a KE kill. When China can shoot down a SAT on the fly like a MiG-31, you let me know. Right now we have S-400 who just successfully intercepted an SRBM, MRBM, and cruise missiles in the same test. If we want to rearm ICBMs to take out satellites the same way China did, it is only a matter of reprogramming the telemetry of which our supercomputers can be precise enough for a KE intercept.

nomadtg

During the cold war, US and Russia both spent many times of china's gpd on defense technology. and when Deng carry out the Opening up policy in 1978, they nearly cut off all the R&D in every aspects of china's defense, only keep bugeting the misslie project. china started to increase the defense budget or you can say started to invest in defense techology after the 90s. so you're not expecting china to catch up overnight.
Today the military nearly has unlimited resources to conduct their research, and more engineers are trained in the US and other western countries even Russia. and also a lot of ex-ussr engineers are now working in china, so I don't think they always don't have the know how!
One warning to Vladimir79, ignorance makes you blind , that's how great powers fall. we still admire the US cause they always keep their eye open.

Today, the western world are saying "china threat" instead of "Russia threat", that is the only proof we need to show people like Vladimir79 that they're still live under USSR superpower glory.

I think we only need 10 years or 20 years tops to persuade these people understand that things change and Hi-tech is not a myth as long as you have enough investment.

Koji

In another thread, I also pointed out that China has been working on a Mach 10 anti-ship ballistic missile for 13 years and experts believe that it will be operationally deployed in 2 years. The article stated that the "Russians couldn't do it."

YouTube - Lou Dobbs: Chinese missile poses threat to US carriers

good point Martian. I have only heard of this missile recently which can deny operating space of 1500 miles. This is an ability unique to China, as stated by Maj. Gen. Wilkerson.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
YouTube - Lou Dobbs: Chinese missile poses threat to US carriers

good point Martian. I have only heard of this missile recently which can deny operating space of 1500 miles. This is an ability unique to China, as stated by Maj. Gen. Wilkerson.
Has it (DF-21) been tested in the field even once? Till it has been tested successfully, stop bull-shitting.

To fire a missile at a carrier 1200 miles away, you have to find it, and how China do that??

BTW, we all know why US generals hype the China threat, its to get more funds, as Congress/Obama is trying to move from conventional military machine to an approach more suited for asymmetric/urban/counter-insurgency warfare.

Koji

Launch of the Jianbing-5/YaoGan-1 and Jianbing-6/YaoGan-2 satellites would give the Chinese targeting information from SAR and visual imaging respectively. The upgrades would allow China to employ the missile to destroy US Navy aircraft carriers.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Launch of the Jianbing-5/YaoGan-1 and Jianbing-6/YaoGan-2 satellites would give the Chinese targeting information from SAR and visual imaging respectively. The upgrades would allow China to employ the missile to destroy US Navy aircraft carriers.
Yeah right. And the US would let Chinese satellites use SAR to track their carriers during hostilities. And the first time you ever fire it would be in a real war, without ever testing it. :rolleyes:

BTW, any attack on a US CBG is treated as an attack on the United States homeland and the US can respond with all means at its disposal in that case. I wouldn't want to have Beijing and Shanghai turned to glass just for a botched attempt to target a US carrier.

Koji

It's a deterrent to prevent a CBG from interferring in an event of a Taiwan takeover. China is betting probably that the US won't want to risk its carriers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles