China proposes $15bn Indus dam scheme

ganesh177

Country flag
China proposes $15bn Indus dam scheme
By William MacNamara in London

Published: June 7 2011 23:20 | Last updated: June 7 2011 23:20

Indus-River-kashmir-146116-148081-184696-640x480.jpg

China's Three Gorges Project Corporation has proposed a $15bn hydropower scheme to Pakistan to dam the Indus river valley at several points, in a project aimed at controlling floods and tackling electricity shortages, Pakistan's natural resources minister said on Tuesday.

The deal, pitched by the builders of the Yangtze River dam, the world's largest, is the latest example of Chinese interest in Pakistan, as the latter tries to develop natural gas, oil, coal and hydropower resources to boost its flagging economy.

Asim Hussain, Pakistan's minister for petroleum and natural resources, told the Financial Times that Three Gorges had met with the government and proposed a $15bn hydroelectric master plan for the Indus, and to fund a $50m survey to lay the groundwork.

Devastating floods last year highlighted the benefits of dams on the Indus. The country's electricity shortage and need for irrigation are also behind Pakistan's focus on hydroelectric power, which the opposition party also supports.

Last year Pakistan and China agreed to an investment deal to build the Bunji dam. The $15bn proposal would cover Bunji and other sites on the upper and lower Indus including Kohala and Dashu, a government representative confirmed.

Mr Hussain was meeting in London with potential investors in Pakistan's oil and gas sector, ahead of new round of oil block auctions. Recent growth in estimates of its natural gas reserves – composed mostly of unconventional shale and tight gas – has led Pakistan to seek investment from partners such as BP and Shell. "We did not know where our coffers were, but now we do," he said, referring to oil and gas.

Chinese companies have taken a lead on natural resources investment. In December 2010 BP sold its Pakistan oil and gas assets to United Energy Group, a Hong Kong-based investor, for $775m. Metallurgical Corporation of China is mining copper, zinc and lead in remote Baluchistan province. But a copper-mining joint venture between Canada's Barrick Gold and Chile's Antofagasta has struggled to gain official approval in Baluchistan.

A Pakistan government representative said "both sides are working on the details and priorities" of the $15bn hydropower deal for Pakistan. Three Gorges was not available for comment.

Additional reporting by Farhan Bokhari

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/15385b38-9133-11...l#axzz1OfZ0I7vI

ganesh177

Country flag
Originating in the Tibetan plateau of western China in the vicinity of Lake Mansarovar in Tibet Autonomous Region, the river runs a course through the Ladakh district of Jammu and Kashmir Province of Indian and then enters Pakistan via the Northern Areas (Gilgit-Baltistan), flowing through the North in a southerly direction along the entire length of Pakistan, to merge into the Arabian Sea near the port city of Karachi in Sindh. The total length of the river is 3,180 kilometers (1,976 miles) and it is Pakistan's longest river.
Can we not make any use of it while it flows from ladakh ?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I think we should dam the Indus at the head waters itself so the water does not reach Pakistan in the first place. They can then park the JF-17 joint failure in the empty dam to put it to good use.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I think we should dam the Indus at the head waters itself so the water does not reach Pakistan in the first place. They can then park the JF-17 joint failure in the empty dam to put it to good use.
this is another provocation authored by the dragon testing the testies of the goi - gotta play careful and smart - no room for goofs . i agree that with godless to dam it at ladakh or other points to assert ...

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
That is oracle and my kind of approach.

sukhish

That is oracle and my kind of approach.
can't agree more on this one. first of all I don't even thing it will come that. TTP will make that there is no development is pakistan for another 10 years. Indus is the life line for pakistan and India controls all the levers as far as indus is concerned.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
this is another provocation authored by the dragon testing the testies of the goi - gotta play careful and smart - no room for goofs . i agree that with godless to dam it at ladakh or other points to assert ...
Does GoI have the balls to stand up to China?

Tianshan

Dams take long to build, they should have start this many years before.

Country flag
This can be a good reason to take back the Indus waters and starting damming at key points in India,since all the water originates from India.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This will be a declaration of war.

Dark_Prince

This will be a declaration of war.
Then be it...................It's time failed state pakistan and its demented terrorist awam is sent to stone-age from the barbaric medieval-ages they live in...trust me theses illiterate pathetic islamic
(wannabe arab) pakistanis will be thankful!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
In short, another disaster in making, Chinese have messed up with building the three Georges dam, now they will repeat it

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Are they looking to interpret India's possible strategic reaction to such development?

satish007

Guys, Human need water, why you stop their water, that action same as nuke them. be kind, boys.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Guys, Human need water, why you stop their water, that action same as nuke them. be kind, boys.
What kind of nonsense is this, where and when we stopped the water

satish007

naa thappu, one guy just want to change a little bit the river direction to let them have room to part more planes. get it. understood, no that bad

ganesh177

Country flag
naa thappu, one guy just want to change a little bit the river direction to let them have room to part more planes. get it. understood, no that bad

And if stopping water is not wise, then arming a terror hungry state with nuclear infrastructure is unwise as well. So spare your lecture for your govt.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Pakistan should heed the problems that the Three Gorges Dam is wrecking in China. To me it does not inspire confidence that the same company which has build the disaster is being invited to Dam the Indus.

China confronts problems at Three Gorges Dam

SHANGHAI (AP) — China is acknowledging serious troubles with its showcase Three Gorges Dam project, citing an urgent need to curb pollution and do a better job with relocations and disaster management related to the world's biggest hydroelectric project.

A government statement released Thursday outlines a blueprint for a cleaner, safer and more sustainable future for the Three Gorges, a scenic section of the Yangtze River that was dammed to create a 410-mile (660-kilometer) -long reservoir.

With shipping stalled by drought both upstream and downstream from the dam, authorities are scrambling to address a raft of problems connected with the $ 23 billion project.
China admits problems with Three Gorges Dam
China has finally admitted that all is not rosy with its Three Gorges Dam, the world's largest hydroelectric power project. The dam is plagued by problems that need to be resolved urgently, the State Council — China's cabinet — said last Wednesday.

The statement was made after a high-level meeting presided over by Premier Wen Jiabao, and highlights issues such as pollution, silt accumulation, ecological deterioration and geological hazards near the dam. It also points out the project's adverse effects on irrigation, water supply and shipping in downstream regions, which affect an area of 633,000 square kilometres over eight provinces. These problems should be addressed through more research and monitoring, and more efficient dam operation, the statement says.

"It's difficult to say whether the dam has exacerbated this year's drought in central and eastern China, or, if so, to what extent," says Zheng Chunmiao, a hydrologist at Peking University in Beijing. "But dams and reservoirs can certainly impact the hydrological cycle of the river basin." In particular, they can lower groundwater levels, potentially worsening the situation when a drought strikes.

satish007

"And if stopping water is not wise, then arming a terror hungry state with nuclear infrastructure is unwise as well. So spare your lecture for your govt. "
bilkul, I will talk to them.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles