China it's own worst enemy because of emotional burts

JayATL

In 2007 Both Japan and Vietnam refused to have a trilateral pacts with the US ( military) because they feared it would look like an encircling of China policy. But 3 -4 years later, how the attitudes have changed. This is solely the fault of the Chinese who have driven several asian countries into the the US arms. The reason behind it is the naive emotional foreign policy outbursts coming out of bejing.

China will never win hearts and minds

China's soft power gap. China will undoubtedly evolve into an economic superpower. Its economy, within decades, will become the world's largest. Per capita disposable income will be constrained but aggregate spending power will be massive. China's industrial tentacles will be felt everywhere; traditional Chinese medicine will become more popular; and university students will learn Mandarin.

But China will not easily capture hearts and minds. The Chinese are ethnocentric. In large ways and small, an instinct to narrowly defend interests can be off putting:

First, the country maintains a chip on its shoulder regarding indignities suffered at the hands of foreigners between the Opium War and the establishment of Communist China in 1949. Strident outrage erupts whenever any country "hurts the feelings of the Chinese people."

Second, in a pinch, the government lapses into bullyboy petulance, throwing economic and military weight around the region. Diplomatic relationships with Japan and India are tetchy, largely because China remains brittle and insecure. Decades-long territorial disputes are unresolved.

Third, although Chinese society is more civil than a few years ago, daily life is still dog-eat-dog. Charity organizations are underdeveloped due to the party's reluctance to grant authority to any entity not under its direct control. Families, unprotected by rule of law, fend for themselves at the expense of individuals outside the clan. Anyone who fails to conform to convention -- for example, the handicapped or mentally ill, homosexuals, and AIDS patients -- is socially ostracized. Spitting and burping in public is commonplace. In crowded elevators and airplanes, mobile phone users lack volume control.

Fourth, Chinese, a language in which written and spoken forms are completely unrelated, remains a temple of linguistic exclusivity, a walled garden, frustratingly off limits to everyone but the most disciplined and determined foreigners. Every character requires memorization; every sentence must conform to structural imperatives.

When in Rome? Despite fascination with the world, the Chinese do not assimilate easily. China tries hard to be open -- road signs are bilingual, English is a passion, trade links are robust, macroeconomic policies during financial crises were constructive -- but, emotionally, the nation stands apart. Information is controlled. Defensive instincts militate against free and easy exchange of ideas. Until trust is established, foreigners are treated with polite suspicion. Manufacturers that acquire Western companies have difficulty integrating domestic and international management teams. The global footprint of China's state-controlled English-language news outlets is growing, but broadcasts are so dull international viewers tune out. The opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, impressive in scale and moving in ambition, lapsed into mawkish cliché when gears shifted from celebrating China's glory to preaching "One World, One Dream."

China's ability to leverage the assets of other cultures is peerless. Its superhighways are modeled after America's and major web portals are copycats of Western sites, tweaked for local users. The Party has also integrated itself into the fabric of the global trading system as a check against domestic weaknesses (for example, poor corporate governance, pliable standards of financial transparency). But, unless deemed "safe," foreigners are still confronted with awkward silences and robotic smiles. Bonding at the national level is a long ways off.

China will be an economic superpower only. There will be more than one tiger on the mountain

Tom Doctoroff: A Chinese Century? Not Quite

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It's in Chinese culture. They're not known for compassion, not even towards each other. What they are known though are for self-centered pursuit of wealth (resources to get more wealth) and status. Hence, the African complaints about Chinese credit for allegedly African infra but in reality are intended primarily for ease of operations for Chinese mining and oil companies, contracted to Chinese contractors who are employing Chinese workers. In the ASEAN region China is aggressively grabbing oil rich territories for its own consumption.

It did not help that the West has poured too much adulation to China too early (I think intentionally) that made the latter drunk with a false sense of invincibility. This sense of invincibility or all-encompassing importance and regional advantage had misled it to thinking that its smaller neighbors are pushover nobodies... It could never be more wrong.

kickok1975

One of the greatest weaknesses of the Chinese and China is that we are unwilling to take criticism, mainly because we are a society that does not value opposing views and freedom of speech. Most criticism will be viewed as intentional, conspiracy and losing face, not constructive at all. Chinese and Chinese societies are in severe deficit of trust. There is little trust on government; people don't trust each other, there are traps and deceptions everywhere so protect self and stay away from trouble is many people's No.1 priority.

However, China would be a fool to trust any western country.

Last edited:
Reactions: jat

redragon

Country flag
One of the greatest weaknesses of the Chinese and China is that they are unwilling to take criticism, mainly because they are a society that does not value opposing views and freedom of speech. Most criticism will be viewed as intentional and conspiracy, not constructive. Chinese and Chinese societies are in severe deficit of trust. There is little trust on government; people don't trust each other, there are traps and deceptions everywhere so protect self and stay away from trouble is many people's No.1 priority.
Typical JY thinking, can't wait to draw a line between yourselves and the Chinese culture you thought you understand, simply laughable.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Typical JY thinking, can't wait to draw a line between yourselves and the Chinese culture you thought you understand, simply laughable.

I guess he's a blue bloodied Chinese, right kikock1975? :lol:

kickok1975

I'm merely telling the truth. Don't tell me you trust you neighbor, you probably never know who they are. In many Chinese cities we don't even know our neighbor, we are very much alert right after we walk out of the door.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I'm merely telling the truth. Don't tell me you trust you neighbor, you probably never know who they are. In many Chinese cities we don't even know our neighbor, we are very much alert right after we walk out of the door.

Not to mention nobody even wanted to help a baby girl sprawled dying on a public street... :tsk:

redragon

Country flag
And you think this is something belongs to china only? I won't take my words back, you really need to check your loser mindset, and to enlarge your vision by reading and listening more, those will be good for you.

redragon

Country flag
Not to mention nobody even wanted to help a baby girl sprawled dying on a public street... :tsk:
similiar cases happened in Japan, USA and CANADA as well, just no one bother to propaganda it.
Don't ask me to provide links, I don't have time to help you enlarge your vision.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
similiar cases happened in Japan, USA and CANADA as well, just no one bother to propaganda it.
Don't ask me to provide links, I don't have time to help you enlarge your vision.

Oh well, deflection. I understand, please feel comfortable on the couch. What else can you say about it? :laugh:

kickok1975

And you think this is something belongs to china only? I won't take my words back, you really need to check your loser mindset, and to enlarge your vision by reading and listening more, those will be good for you.
I believe selfishness and indifference people exist in every country. But if you rank whose moral declined most in last 30 years, I think if Chinese claimed No.2, no one can say they are No.1. This article indeed has some merits. We could be a better nation if we accept different ideals and some time uncomfortable criticism

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I believe selfishness and indifference people exist in every country. But if you rank whose moral declined most in last 30 years, I think if Chinese claimed No.2, no one can say they are No.1

How about Somalia? Haiti? Sudan?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
BTW, redragon please don't report kickok1979's to your CCP supervisor. This forum should only be among ourselves. I promise I will not tell anybody about his comments either...:namaste:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What's your point?
Since you don't like to supply the No. 1 spot for the steepest moral decline in countries, I offered several alternatives...and I almost forgot one good contender, Pakistan. (I got ur sarcasm) :laugh:

Last edited:

kickok1975

BTW, redragon please don't report kickok1979's to your CCP supervisor. This forum should only be among ourselves. I promise I will not tell anybody about his comments either...:namaste:
Don't bother. This English forum has close to zero influence to Chinese society. In China there are thousands blogs, post that bring much harsh criticism to Chinese authority daily. It's overwhelming to CCP web control.

Pope Benedict XVI

Don't bother. This English forum has close to zero influence to Chinese society. In China there are thousands blogs, post that bring much harsh criticism to Chinese authority daily. It's overwhelming to CCP web control.
e
its looks like you are one of the nice chinese poster... :wave:

Pope Benedict XVI

I'm not necessary the nicer one. I believe most of my fellow Chinese posters are nice guy in life. Maybe they are more patriotic than me and got offended regardless China was criticized fairly or unfairly.
agree, but once in a while one need to swallow bitter pills and bear truth. but healthy talk is must. one should not troll just because they are losing a debate or being finger pointed.

kickok1975

agree, but once in a while one need to swallow bitter pills and bear truth. but healthy talk is must. one should not troll just because they are losing a debate or being finger pointed.
I agree. Let's leave personal attack away from forum.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles