China forces woman into abortion

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
China forces woman into abortion at EIGHT months for breaching one-child policy

By Peter Simpson

An eight-months pregnant woman was dragged from her home and forced to have an abortion because she had broken China's one-child-per-family law.

Twelve government officials entered Xiao Aiying's house where they hit and kicked her in the stomach, before taking her kicking and screaming to hospital.

There, the 36-year-old was restrained as doctors injected her with a drug to kill the unborn baby.

Xiao Aiying allowed cameras to film her in the hospital. The bruise on her arm is from the alleged beating she received before offficials injected her baby. She may require surgery to remove pieces of placenta still in her uterus

Her husband Luo Yanquan, a construction worker, yesterday described the moment officials burst into his family home.

'They held her hands behind her back and pushed her head against the wall and kicked her in the stomach,' he said. 'I don't know if they were trying to give her a miscarriage.

'Our ten-year-old daughter has been excited about having a little brother or sister but I don't know how I can explain to her what has happened.'
Construction worker Luo Yanquan told Al Jazeera how excited his nine-year-old daughter was for her new sibling, only to have the baby lethally injected when his wife was eight months pregnant

Construction worker Luo Yanquan told Al Jazeera how excited his ten-year-old daughter was for her new sibling, only to have the baby lethally injected when his wife was eight months pregnant

He recalled how a month before the child was due to be born officials told the couple they weren't allowed to have another baby because they already have a daughter.

His wife, who was filmed in hospital with large bruises on her arms and her dead child still inside her, said: 'I have had this baby, feeling it moving around and around my belly. Can you imagine how I feel now.'

Her harrowing experience in Siming, near the city of Xiamen, south-west China, on October 10, comes a month after the government in Beijing said there would be no relaxation in strict family planning laws.

Most Chinese families are allowed only one child to reduce the 1.3 billion-plus population and cut unsustainable demand on resources.

The policy leads to an estimated 13 million abortions every year, with many of those ordered by local authorities. Infanticide is also widespread in many rural areas.

Those who violate the one child law can be fined up to £25,000.
Locator map for Siming

The incident took place in Siming on China's east coast

But two decades of economic boom mean many middle class parents now earn enough to pay the fine to expand their family.

For those without cash and connections like the Luos, gruesome summary justice is meted out.

Forced abortions are banned under Chinese law, but this doesn't prohibit or define late-term abortions.

An official with the Siming district family planning commission said the procedure on Mrs Luo was undertaken voluntarily and that Mr Luo had approved it - a claim he denies.

The couple fear official retribution after making their ordeal public on a blog.

Ordinary Chinese have expressed disgust at the Luos' ordeal, labelling the family planning officials 'cruel' and 'inhuman'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-policy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz136FjV2Db

SHASH2K2

I would love to see reaction of our Chinese members of the Forum. Forcing abortion of 8 month old baby is equivalent to attempt to murder .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If I remember correctly, one of our Chinese posters had mentioned that if one has more than one child, then one has to just pay a hefty fine and that is all.

What is the sum of the fine and who all can afford to pay it?

To abort an 8 month baby under orders and that too in such a barbaric way is inhuman, because apart from being medically dangerous, is also a little weird since in a normal country, one cannot order these type of murderous activities with a clear moral conscience as it is uncivilised!

To be fair, the Chinese posters here, by and large, have been very steady and I don't think that they would applaud these type of actions in the same manner as we would not condone the ills of our country.

Last edited:

miqi

it is shameful and cruel to abort a 8- month infant. i donot want to believe this took place in modern china . but according to my experiences, our official could commit such a ugly deed.

pmaitra

It indeed is cruel. I was told by a few Chinese friends that you can pay a hefty fine and you should be fine. Moreover, I was also told that this one-child policy is not applicable in the remote countryside. Was this unfortunate woman and the father of the foetus given an option to relocate to some distant countryside? I wonder, but then, in PRC, there is no reliable source of genuine news.

Indeed, very sad. Let us all pray for the hapless couple.

Iamanidiot

It indeed is cruel. I was told by a few Chinese friends that you can pay a hefty fine and you should be fine. Moreover, I was also told that this one-child policy is not applicable in the remote countryside. Was this unfortunate woman and the father of the foetus given an option to relocate to some distant countryside? I wonder, but then, in PRC, there is no reliable source of genuine news.

Indeed, very sad. Let us all pray for the hapless couple.
Might be that the bloody provincial official was under pressure to show a certain number of abortions have to be shown on paper.So he might have done forced abortion .The Law of Rule very much prevails in the provincial level governments in China .If any chinese poster comes across this arse hole I request you to kill him

Pintu

it is shameful and cruel to abort a 8- month infant. i donot want to believe this took place in modern china . but according to my experiences, our official could commit such a ugly deed.
Miqi, neither indeed it was cruel , but inhuman and barbaric too, yes killing of Human embryo is going on for the centuries and our country is not exceptional nor the other including developed world, but in the cases, these heinous crime is committed only to save one's honour (read the persons involved in premarital sex ) or by the illiterate ones who still sees a division between 'son' and 'daughter' while sharing love, but this is quite surprising that this act has State-backing.

Regards

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
If I remember correctly, one of our Chinese posters had mentioned that if one has more than one child, then one has to just pay a hefty fine and that is all.

What is the sum of the fine and who all can afford to pay it?
Sir,
I had heard the same. The poster was Yang. Unfortunately she's not active anymore.

Here's something I came across : (Looks credible)

Article 55 of the Regulations of Guangdong Province on Population and Family Planning prescribes that: Urban residents who give birth to a second child, shall pay a lump social child-raising fee that ranges between 3 and 6 times of their last year's income. This fee shall be collected based on the last year per capita disposable income of the urban residents of the local counties (cities or districts). Those who earn more than the above mentioned income shall pay a higher social child-raising fee, ranging between one and two times of the sum exceeding the average income.

The Guangdong law stipulates a formula to calculate the fines for rich violators of one-child policy. For example, the per capita disposal income of the Tianhe District in Guangzhou last year was about 200,000 yuan. If one private enterprise boss in this district earned 200,000 yuan last year, he would pay a maximum social child-raising fee of: 20,000×6+(200,000-20,000)×2=480,000 yuan (about US$63,763) and a minimum 20,000×3+(200,000-20,000)×1=240,000 yuan (US$31,884). This is only the fine for one of the couple. The fines for both members of the couple would be much more. And for those who have more than two children the fines will be doubled.
http://www.china.org.cn/english/government/224913.htm

badguy2000

Respected Member
such a case might take place in CHina, as CHinese babus's masterpieces.

that is why Chinese local government always find themselves always the complaint stock among people.

BTW,such a case is not "politically right" in China, either.

So, if such a case were not exposed,then everything would be fine to the local babus.

But now, since it is already exposed by medias, Beijing would simply fire those babus as usual,whether those babus in charge are scapegoats or not. Beijing is never ready to sacrifice any reputation for the wrongdoings of such low-rank babus

so, the career life of the Chinese babus in charge must be over too!

Unlike India babaus, CHinese babus hardly find any effective laws as shied against center government ,once Beijing want to punish them.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
One of my cousins paid 8000 RMB fine to the local government to get his second son registered in 2009.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
One of my cousins paid 8000 RMB fine to the local government to get his second son registered in 2009.
That is several months salary for most Chinese, a small price to pay for the gift of life.

amoy

Her harrowing experience in Siming, near the city of Xiamen, south-west China, on October 10, comes a month after the government in Beijing said there would be no relaxation in strict family planning laws.
wait a moment!

this could have been a sensational product from a 'rumour mill' or 'fool-ya agency'.

a very OBVIOUS mistake - Siming is the downtown district of Xiamen, not anything 'nearby' http://www.google.com.hk/imglanding...isch:1&start=15#tbnid=nVrRgSXp3Iq0uM&start=19.
in relatively 'wealthy' cities such crimes are unthinkable. people here just give birth and only at the time of 'hukou' registry a 'fine' has to be paid equivalent to a certain period of income.

An official with the Siming district family planning commission said the procedure on Mrs Luo was undertaken voluntarily and that Mr Luo had approved it - a claim he denies.
this case is more complex than 'forced' abortion, I speak by intuition.

but inhuman and barbaric too, yes killing of Human embryo
when it comes to individual choice (not forced) abortion is a 'human right' among others

SHASH2K2

this case is more complex than 'forced' abortion, I speak by intuition.
Forcing abortion of 8 month baby should count for one murder and one attempt to murder . This is what my intuition says.

mayfair

We may criticise China's one child policy, but let's not forget it helped them stave off at least 400 million births and avoid a population catastrophe. I believe there are lots of aspects to this policy than a blanket one-child rule..some of them being (Chinese members please correct me if I am wrong)

1. If the two parents are both single children, they are permitted to have two children
2. In the rural areas, if the first child is a girl, the parents are permitted to have another child
3. One-child policy does not apply to non-Han ethnicities such as Tibetans, Uighurs and others
4. Among the recent reforms there's a proposal to permit couples to have two children as long as at least parent is a single child.

We may harp on the cruelty or barbaric or draconian nature of this rule, but we cannot deny that unchecked population growth in South Asia is a huge problem not only for us, but for the west as well since they too face the brunt of illegal immigration much like we do with illegals from Bangladesh.

amoy

I'd rather call it 'Family Planning' than that over-simplified 'One-child' policy for obvious reasons.

New generations are individualistic. Who wants to ruin fun by having many children? especially with broad awareness of contraception and 'safe' sex

Money talks. The same is true in China. In addition to 'exceptions' u mentioned, many in fact flood to Hong Kong to give birth so that their babies are 'immune' to 'one-child' rule with Hong Kong 'green card'. Even in elevators such ads are visible that famous HK hospitals offer 'one-stop service' ranging from birth to applying for HK permanent residence for the child at a dear sum. Many who acquire foreign citizenship (Canada, Australia or Singapore...) are certainly not bound by that rule, at least in my 'neighborhood'.

The world gets flattened. People here are less and less different from poeple there.

Back to the 'forced' abortion case, officials who're alleged to have 'forced' all that are more likely to be thrown into prison than getting credits for relentless enforcement of 'One-child'

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles