China blocks Egypt searches

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
We have so many patriotic chinese members on DFI that I thought this would be a good opportunity to invite you guys to tell us indian guys why your government does not want you to know about Egypt. here is the article below.

Can you chinese help us understand why the superpower like China is so afraid of its own people. Egypt is 5 thousand miles away from China and you are still running like a scared rat ??

Maybe after the J20 becomes operational, then China will open up its internet ??

China blocks "Egypt" searches on micro-blogs

BEIJING | Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42pm IST
(Reuters) - China blocked the word "Egypt" from micro-blog searches in a sign that the Chinese government is concerned that protests calling for political reform in the country could spill into China's internet space.

Searches on Sunday for "Egypt" on micro-blog functions of Chinese web portals such as Sina.com and Sohu.com -- sites comparable to Twitter -- showed phrases saying search results could not be found or could not be displayed in accordance with regulations.

More than 100 people have been killed in Egypt in five days of unprecedented protests that have rocked the Arab world.

On Sunday, more than 1,000 protesters gathered in central Cairo, demanding President Hosni Mubarak step down and dismissing his appointment of a vice president.

China issued a warning to its citizens in Egypt on Sunday, urging Chinese travellers to reconsider their plans or seek assistance from the Chinese government in Egypt.

Chinese state media has reported on the unrest, including coverage of the scores of deaths and Mubarak's first appointment of the vice-president, an announcement that may be a nod toward a political successor.

On Friday, China's official Xinhua news agency reported that cell phone and internet access were cut in Cairo.

But China's censorship of its micro-blogs appears to be aimed at preventing events in Egypt from setting an example of political opposition at home.

China says the Internet is free and open for its 450 million users, but the government blocks numerous social networking sites like Twitter, Flickr, Facebook and YouTube, which have been used to mobilize protests around the world.

It also routinely closes sites or scrubs content considered harmful to China's security or in breach of the Chinese law.

The Global Times, a popular tabloid published by China's Communist Party, said in a commentary on Sunday that democracy was not compatible with conditions in Egypt or Tunisia, and that "colour revolutions" could not achieve real democracy.

Colour revolutions, a term first coined to describe democracy protests in former Soviets states, lead to "street-level clamour" in African and Asian emerging democracies, the Global Times said.

Protesters in Tunisia's "Jasmine Revolution" forced President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali into exile in mid-January.

"Democracy is still far away in Tunisia and Egypt. The success of democracy takes concrete foundations in economy, education and social issues," the Global Times said.

"But when it comes to political systems, the Western model is only one of a few options," the paper said.

(Reporting by Michael Martina and Sabrina Mao; Editing by Yoko Nishikawa)

WORLD

pmaitra

PRC really didn't need to do that. They have their tanks ready to mow into protesting crowds, just like Tienanmen Square. I wonder if people will muster up enough courage to protest. Nevertheless, it does show that PRC is paranoid.

amoy

why do u guys love to indulge in such faked 'news'?only becoz it suits your taste that China is unhappy abt the fall of an "autocracy" (though Egypt has been certified as an ally by the US)

Chinese are well informed of Egypt thing. What blocking?

chex3009

Country flag
Maybe CCP is fearing that Chinese revolution is coming sooner than expected by hearing all about Egypt and Tunisia.

So they are doing what they are best at, cutting off people from the world.

luke

ps:on the bottom of the page is the '相关搜索'(don't know how to translate it,maybe it's hot search about the title),no.1 is "Egyptian riot"ï¼Œno.2 is"The reasons for riots in Egypt".

redragon

Country flag
I have told Indian Members a thousand times: the medias you trust are brain washing you.
and ours are doing the same to us.
so it's important to research and analysis by ourselves, obviously, # of Chinese who can speak english is way more than # of foreigners who can speak Chinese, so I would say Chinese has advantage in terms of collecting information from both sources.

Last edited:

JayATL

Guys, my Chinese posters. read the article again. It is about micro blogging sites being blocked. You are right china is allowing you to read about Egypt- but they have blocked social networking sites from allowing people to discuss it. You see what I mean? they don't want Chinese people discussing it on sites like twitter were social networking interaction takes place .

Searches on Sunday for "Egypt" on micro-blog functions of Chinese web portals such as Sina.com and Sohu.com -- sites comparable to Twitter -- showed phrases saying search results could not be found or could not be displayed in accordance with regulations.

Chinese people have the highest IQ in the world yet the govt blocks skype and other information and that baffles me. Does it not trust you guys reading about Tienanmen square? I mean why ask Google and other search engines to block a whole lot of stuff- what does the govt think would happen if you guys read it? Would everybody go crazy? you can all media crazy now and then BUT you can't deny that information and news is highly controlled by the govt. why?

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
"Blocking" micro-blogs on Egypt unrest will only make give it more hype, and make even more people in China take interest in it.

The reason micro-blogging is censored and not news is that news can be interpreted before being presented to the public in any form by the state. But micro-blogs depend on people's interpretations.

JayATL

FREEDOM !!!!!!

PS. sorry, felt good to say :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese, in general, prefer owing to their psyche honed throughout their history, a disciplined and orderly life.

To that extent, it is not unusual to observe that the Chinese Govt does not favour any upheavals or news about such negative events.

Likewise, the Chinese people are not too interested in news of upheavals unless it shows Chinese philosophy in favourable light.

The news of the Egypt uprising has had bland reportage. The rationale behind the uprising has been tweaked. The Chinese media has mentioned that the people of Egypt have 'requested' Hosni Mubarak to quit because of lack of jobs. Note: the word used is 'requested'. Very loaded and pleasant way of describing the events so as to not cause any upheavals within China itself.

The Global Times has mentioned the foment, but has emphasised the issue of radical Islam and how it affects stability, an indirect allusion to the Xinjiang problem and cautioning the people.

I have mentioned the details in the thread 'Egypt Falls'.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Red Dragon.

The Chinese media maybe brainwashing you.

I will not quibble on that.

As far as us being brainwashed by our media, Indian media is privately run and commerce based. Each newspaper/ magazine is controlled by a individual interest group and not a common interest group. Hence, there is no unanimity of view and that puts paid to the brainwash of Indians as claimed by you.

I believe the Govt controls the media in China. Therefore, the deviation in views would be marginal and not so contrast as in India.

Further, we also have access to international news through the international print and electronic media. Thus, we are not brainwashed, but befuddled actually, with an overdose of news, with an overdose of contrasting views!

Last edited:

Vladimir79

Professional

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Sorry,I search '埃及' with baidu,it has many information about it,as for the micro-blog ,I'm not interesting in it.But I dont think our government block it.Over!
here is the linkhttp://www.baidu.com/s?wd=%B0%A3%BC%B0&word=%B0%A3%BC%B0&tn=sitehao123
ps:埃及=Egypt .
We all know how media brainwashes people but that is not the topic here, we are discussing why China has blocked out the Egypt upraising? Are you going to argue that the entires worlds media is lieing and only Chinese media is right about nothing happening in Egypt. We are not talking of unofficial news on some blog, we are asking why Chinese state media does not report it?

JayATL

godless kafir. he is right, in that, they can see pictures and read news articles about the uprising. also, his media is not saying quote" nothing happening in Egypt". They are showing tons of pictures of the crowd, the protesters and have news articles written about it- maybe nuanced but they do have plenty of news articles about it.

But that was NOT what was contested in the original article posted here. They said and as I have pointed out earlier_ that micro blogging is being blocked. In short they don't want their people to discuss it on twitter like social networks, where hundreds of thousands can get together to discuss their opinions.

Last edited:

luke

We all know how media brainwashes people but that is not the topic here, we are discussing why China has blocked out the Egypt upraising? Are you going to argue that the entires worlds media is lieing and only Chinese media is right about nothing happening in Egypt. We are not talking of unofficial news on some blog, we are asking why Chinese state media does not report it?
Hey,guys,the article is about micro-blogs.I've been told that I'm not interested in micro-blogs,so I just can tell you that the news about it not been blocked.That's what i can tell you guys.As for why Chinese state media does not report it,I don't read or watch the report from Chinese state media ,so I can't answer this question.But can you prove that Chinese state media don't report it?The article is about China government block the micro-blogs,not China state media don't report Egypt upraising.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The western media is proving it.

There is no rejoinder from China.

luke

But that was NOT what was contested in the original article posted here. They said and as I have pointed out earlier_ that micro blogging is being blocked. In short they don't want their people to discuss it on twitter like social networks, where hundreds of thousands can get together to discuss their opinions.
There're many posts about the Egypt upraising on forum,if the government want to stop people from discussing it,I don't know why it don't block it on the forum.I usually get the information from the forum,and I think the forum have more influence than micro-blogs.Of course ,maybe I'm wrong.I don't play micro-blogs,so I don't know what happened.

Last edited:

JayATL

There're many posts about the Egypt upraising on forum,if the government want to stop people from discussing it,I don't know why it don't block it on the forum.I usually get the information from the forum,and I think the forum have more influence than micro-blogs.Of course ,maybe I'm wrong.I don't play micro-blogs,so I don't know what happened.
statistically you are wrong.... social networking sites like twitter, face book etc have more traffic . hence it makes sense.

redragon

Country flag
statistically you are wrong.... social networking sites like twitter, face book etc have more traffic . hence it makes sense.
That is not the case in China, in China, forums are the most popular place

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles