Chaos rocks Metallica concert

Country flag
Chaos rocks Metallica concert - The Times of India

The Metallica concert stood up to expectations of a different sort. Not the one that India was finally to see a live act by one of the big daddies of thrash metal, but that this region can never host successful concerts.

After the Bryan Adams debacle, the Akon concert had taken place breaking the curse of the no-show, but now it seems that the curse is back again.

Concert organisers DNA Networks and Metallica's drummer Lars Ulrich sent a joint statement at 1am saying, "Metallica arrived in Delhi on Friday very excited and ready to play their first show ever in India at the F1 Rocks concert. However, immediately at the end of their afternoon press conference at a hotel near the venue, the band was notified that there was a serious question as to whether the show could proceed with regard to the safety of the concert audience. Metallica's first and foremost concern is always for the safety of their concert fans. Once the promoters of the show, DNA Networks, and Metallica determined that there was a failure of a security barricade in front of the stage that could not be adequately repaired, they reluctantly announced the postponement of the show until Saturday. Unfortunately, on such short notice the promoters were unable to secure a permit for a show on Saturday, therefore DNA announced that Metallica would not be able to play in Delhi. Within the next 24 hours a notification will be issued by DNA Networks regarding the process for full refunds. Metallica is deeply disappointed with this news and will continue to send updates as additional details are determined and confirmed."
Technical glitch, overcapacity at the venue, bad arrangement by the organisers, NOC issues, rowdy crowd, Metallica not happy with the backstage arrangements - every reason that you could think of, was cited for the cancellation - as soon as a representative from the organisers came on the stage and announced, "Due to some technical problems we are postponing the Metallica concert. Come tomorrow."

But this was no flimsy issue, as any die-hard Metallica fan would tell you. "I especially came from Gujarat for this concert. I had saved up money for the flight tickets, concert tickets, took 10-day leave from office, and not to mention my love for this band. Now they tell me a 'slight technical glitch' is the problem? Who the hell is going to believe that?" questioned Suneet Baboria, 24, adding, "There were around 26,000 people at the concert - that's what the people at the ticketing counter told me, and to send all those people back, is a shame. And if they didn't expect violence after that then..." What followed the announcement of the postponement of what was to be one of the biggest metal concerts in India - was violence and vandalism. "Four to five people got on stage and started burning the big Metallica poster that was tacked up, and the cops just looked away. This was followed by a breaking of barricades, stalls, and not to forget the hooting and screaming. Whenever someone would start it, 10-20 more fans would join in. It was absolute chaos," said DU student Vartika Modi, 23.

And that's not all that got damaged. "Guitars and drum sets worth thousands of rupees which were arranged on the stage were smashed to bits. Ticketing stalls, posters, parts of the stage were vandalised," said Yash Tripathi, 20, adding, "It was due to the disappointment. After the announcement was made, many metal fans started crying. Some fell on the ground and were howling. They kept looking at the stage for someone to come in and tell them otherwise. A lady came up to me crying, and asked, 'I came all the way from Finland for this, why they have to cancel?'"

After the announcement, a sea of youngsters in black T-shirts made their way out, and many of them camped at the IFFCO Chowk Metro Station in Gurgaon for quite some time. Spotted there were 16-year-olds Akshay Singh and his friend Kunal Jain, who had travelled from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon six hours before the concert time (6pm) to get hold of the tickets. "We're dead tired, but more than that so sad. We were there six hours before the concert, and informing fans 15 minutes before the concert that 'come tomorrow' is no way, we'd travelled half the city man!" Some fans said they knew better and had a back-up ready - the Bangalore concert.

"I'll be flying to Bangalore tomorrow - a city which you can count on when it comes to organising big concerts. Delhi is never ready, and I don't know when it will be," said Ananya Agrawal, 24. That concludes it for Delhi, it seems.

It'll be explosive, they had said

Before the ill-fated concert scheduled in Delhi on October 28, the American thrash heavyweights did turn up at a pre-concert press conference where they spoke about how they plan to celebrate their upcoming 30-year anniversary in a big way when they head home. "We're playing in San Francisco to celebrate our 30th anniversary. It's going to be one great week, where celebrities are going to come and join us, and we'll do all the legendary stuff together," said founding member of Metallica, drummer Lars Ulrich.

Thirty successful years in a field where bands fight to stay relevant, one had to ask their success mantra. The band members insist that they realised that "Metallica is worth taking care of". "We care about each other. The bond we share with each other is another important thing that has kept us together. Metallica is a gift," said co-founder and lead vocalist, James Hetfield, adding, "We wouldn't think twice about how hard it is. Even back in the 80s, we were simply glad... Get a tour bus and win a bagel. We were outsiders - at least that felt like it when we started out. It's been surreal. If we got invited to play music in a sweaty garage in Southern California, it wouldn't matter. It's just that now we have the bonus of being famous."

About playing for the first time on Indian soil, the band looked optimistic about it just a few hours before it was to begin. "That should be interesting, playing at a place we never thought in our wildest dreams we'd go to play," Robert Trujillo, the bassist of the band said. "A lot of explosive passion - that's what we're bringing to our concerts," Ulrich added. "We want to thank our Indian fans for playing our music for all these years for us since we couldn't be here to do it for you." The band, though they haven't heard any Indian heavy metal yet, admitted that "India has some of the best musicians of the world. Two years ago we saw Zakir Hussain play the tabla, and man! He was like Slayer on steroids!" said Trujillo. Will they take back notes from here? "It is quite possible we take back a few things as influence - a reflection of India which could be used for future work," said Hetfield.

Lead guitarist Kirk Hammett, who seems to have a taste for spices, says, "I want to have a nice curry in Goa. When prompted which one, he replied, "Vindaloo."

Going on the touchy topic of Megadeth founder Dave Mustaine, an ex-member of Metallica who was famous for his drug and alcohol abuse and aggressive behaviour, who is now spilling all the beans in an autobiography, they said, "We're somewhat used to Dave selling stuff," joked Hetfield, adding, "He's excited about his own work, so we'd love for him to go out and go for it." Any regrets that he left and founded a rival band? "He left due to a sickness within... And he had to get rid of that, but we're glad that he's doing his own thing."
Talking about their album "Lulu" with The Velvet Underground's Lou Reed, that got a mixed response - some hated it and some loved it, Hetfield joked, "I love it... And hate it!" He was joined in by the other members, "We love it and hate it too! We expected it. It's not for everyone, but we had a lot of fun while making it. People focus on what the album is not. Don't judge this album by heavy metal standards and you'll understand it better," said Hetfield.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This is already talked about in the Metallica thread.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Is that how they over sell tickets in India?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
They oversell tickets because space is limited and at a premium, not because people are dying to go to a Metallica concert. 99% of Indians have never heard of Metallica.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Is there a single Indian rock band that has sold more albums?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I didn't say in India, I said have they sold more albums than Metallica.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
They haven't sold more albums in India, ergo, Indians don't care about Metallica.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The comment was, it's a crap band. It must not be so crappy when it is the best selling metal band with over 200 million albums sold and most of those came from overseas sales.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
"Crap" is subjective. It is "crap" from the POV of Indian tastes, it may not be as crap according to foreigners. And if you're looking at sales records only, then Bollywood music far outsells Metallica worldwide.

Reactions: nrj

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It's crap to Indian tastes yet they riot when they don't get to hear them. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

SPIEZ

Country flag
I remember going to a "Lamb Of God" concert in Banglore with my cousin from the US. Man I was just drunk and doped that day, loved the mosh pit though.

My cousin told all rock concerts in the US were like that!

Even the lead singer asked us to form a pit :hippie:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Relax Unknown Hitler, I would tear that shit up too if I had been waiting all day to hear them play.

p2prada

Metallica waked onto the stage, they saw a massive crowd, checked the equipment, said they didn't like it and walked off the stage.

The organizers then came up on the stage and said the show is canceled.

Fans became angry because a lot of them had bought tickets at high prices including in black.

I wonder who was wrong.

p2prada

Is there a single Indian rock band that has sold more albums?
Rock band, no. But when it comes to other genres A R Rahman has sold over 400million as of 2 years ago. He must be over 500million now and there is no saying what's the actual amount when you include piracy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles