Can Sri Lanka Use Buddhism as a Soft Power Tool?

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by civfanatic, Dec 26, 2012.

1. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Interesting article.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/251220...ot-using-buddhism-as-a-soft-power-tool‏-oped/

@LurkerBaba @Known_Unknown @KS

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. civfanatic

Okay, I think this part might be plagiarized from my earlier article on Hard Power vs. Soft Power

Now that I think about it, the author might have obtained the whole idea of Buddhism as a soft power tool from DFI? :notsure:

hit&run likes this.
  4. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Does China battle aggressive marketing strategies on how to use Buddhism for Soft Power? Even Many Chinese ourselves equate Buddhism (as a religion) to superstition. Instead, now Chinese are aggressively promoting Instituto Conficio worldwide >> Confucius Institute Online

Hundreds of such institutes in collaboration with foreign colleges have been set up and young expatriates spreading their wings, everywhere, more still being needed to champion Chinese language, culture and values. The teachings of Kongfuzi and Menzi compass lots of problems up to date.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. civfanatic

I think Han Fei was a better scholar who better understood the human nature and need for government, though I also have great respect for Kung Fuzi and Menzi.

6. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Hanfeizi's "legalism" explores the "dark" side in full of human nature and advise rulers how to make use of it - " it is better to be feared than to be loved".

Kongfuzi, on the other hand puts emphasis on elevating the "bright" side and an "orderly" family and society at large as he envisages - "benevolence", "loyalty and forgiveness".

Like Yin-Yang the two schools are consistent with each other dialectically, hence both employed by most rulers in combination.

As for Mengzi (Mencius) he's recognized as Kongfuzi's follower. However unlike Kongfuzi's pursuit of "social order", Mengzi sounds rather "revoluntionary" and "subversive", pronouncing it's justified to overthrow the rulers if they breach the "social contract". That's why his theory was disliked and Ming Dynasty's founder even ordered removal of Mengzi from annual memorial ceremonies.

7. datguy79

datguy79 Regular Member

All nations which can be considered to wield soft power of any kind also back it up by sizable foreign aid handouts.

8. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

They have clearly plagiarized your article. We must take necessary steps

9. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

You must ask author to give your reference or at least make him aware that he is doing plagiarism.