Breakthrough likely in ISI-CIA talks

ejazr

Ambassador
http://www.dawn.com/2011/03/15/breakthrough-likely-in-isi-cia-talks.html

ISLAMABAD: The Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) are close to a reset in their knotty relations, with behind-the-scene negotiations reportedly making progress.

A breakthrough is likely in days ahead.

An end to the feud will not only help resolve the dispute over immunity for jailed CIA operative Raymond Davis but also help both countries overcome the hard patch in their ties.

"There are some positive developments in ongoing negotiations," a security official told Dawn on Monday without specifying how much ground the two sides had covered.

He, however, said both sides were 'grudgingly accommodating each other' to save the overall bilateral relationship.

Though there are hardly any evident markers to judge progress in dialogue on affairs of spy agencies, US Embassy's reaction to the Lahore High Court (LHC) avoiding a ruling on immunity for Davis was quite telling.

US Embassy Spokesman Alberto Rodriguez, in a very brief comment, said: "US position is well known and we are working with Pakistani authorities to resolve the issue."

His reaction definitely contrasted that of Ambassador Cameron Munter after the previous hearing in the case by the LHC (Feb 17), when he said: "The United States is disappointed that the government of Pakistan did not certify that Raymond Davis has diplomatic immunity".

The immunity dispute quite expectedly remained unresolved in the LHC because Davis is no more central to this controversy, which has been overtaken by other matters pertaining to the problematic Pakistan-US security cooperation whose bedrock is the collaboration between ISI and CIA.

The Davis episode was just the latest manifestation of the disquiet in the relations between the agencies that had been going on for some time and had found varying expressions, be it the frequent CIA allegations of Pakistanis patronising jihadi groups and being insincere in fight against extremists or filing of a law suit in a New York court by relatives of Mumbai carnage against ISI chief or blowing the cover of CIA's Islamabad station head Jonathan Banks, leading to his recall.

Notwithstanding what face this friction in ties got from time to time, US officials confirm that there had been divergences over strategic interests and timing of anti-militancy operations—a reference to Pakistan military's reluctance to go after the North Waziristan-based Haqqani network.

As the situation reached the tipping point and both the agencies engaged in an ugly public spat, ISI sought a redefinition of its terms of engagement with CIA.

ISI's litany of complaints against CIA included the American agency developing its own network of undeclared spies and disregarding ISI as an institution and sacrifices of its personnel.

The progress in negotiations achieved so far, a source said, was made possible because of cool heads on both sides, who realised that keeping the ISI-CIA relationship intact was in the interest of both the agencies.

Analysts believe the outcome of the dialogue was crucial for settling the row over immunity for Davis.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pakistan must be prised for taking the stand against usa on Raymond davis case.They showed spine and allowed pakistani courts to decide the case unlike indian govt who quietly set free warren anderson of bhopal gas tragedy fame under usa pressure or the same indian govt which set free the culprits of purulia arms drop case under intense russian and british pressure and like the indian govt which had allowed the Ottavio Quattrocchi to flee easily.

pankaj nema

Country flag
The ongoing agitation in West Asia is the only reason why Raymond Davis is behind bars so far

Drone strikes are OK for Pakistanis but since they can physically see Mr Davis the people especially right wingers are making a huge noise

If US imposes sanctions today Mr Davis will be a free man but the Taliban will March towards GHQ rawalpindi

USA does nt want Anti American sentiment in Pakistan , which is already high , increase even further

So Mr Davis will remain in prison and then released after a few million dollars are handed over to PA ISI

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Pakistan must be prised for taking the stand against usa on Raymond davis case.They showed spine and allowed pakistani courts to decide the case unlike indian govt who quietly set free warren anderson of bhopal gas tragedy fame under usa pressure or the same indian govt which set free the culprits of purulia arms drop case under intense russian and british pressure and like the indian govt which had allowed the Ottavio Quattrocchi to flee easily.
And since his arrest dozens of pakistanis have been bombed by the yanks...i suggest you take residence near the afghan border to personally witness it :D

and dont worry he will soon be released also.

Last edited:

Tronic

ajtr, you cannot possibly compare the two. Pakistan has had uncountable Quattrocchi's, and going by the title of this thread and Pakistan's history, Raymond Davis will most likely be just another one.

Tronic

And since his arrest dozens of pakistanis have been bombed by the yanks...i suggest you take residence near the afghan border to personally witness it :D

and dont worry he will soon be released also.
Common Ernesto, in every thread ajtr plays you guys like little dolls. Mature up.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
ajtr, you cannot possibly compare the two. Pakistan has had uncountable Quattrocchi's, and going by the title of this thread and Pakistan's history, Raymond Davis will most likely be just another one.
Even if Pakistan has uncountable Quattrocchi's pakistan was always able to extract its pound of flesh from usa.even if davis gets free pakistan this time also gets its own concessions from usa.

Common Ernesto, in every thread ajtr plays you guys like little dolls. Mature up.
Its wrong that you blame me for this.I'm not playing anyone.

Last edited:

anoop_mig25

Country flag
so whats the deal. what pak army is getting for its forces. or recent talk of new f-16 is what pakistan is getting

Country flag
Even if Pakistan has uncountable Quattrocchi's pakistan was always able to extract its pound of flesh from usa.even if davis gets free pakistan this time also gets its own concessions from usa.
For 3 years drone attacks have not stopped but increased. This is the pound of flesh Pakistan has extracted??

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
For 3 years drone attacks have not stopped but increased. This is the pound of flesh Pakistan has extracted??
did the death of common Pakistanis was a ever matter to pakistani military and ruling elites?

Pound of flesh is for them not for the common pakistanis.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
If it means US losing their influence it won't be anytime soon.
No.This means USA covertly allowing china to provide pakistan with nuke reactors as it did in 1980s when china was providing pakistan nuke bombs in full knowledge of of usa.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
LF, As we are discussing china-pak nuke deal..it now transpires that PMO never opposed the deal.Leave aside usa, india itself is not interested in opposing the deal,if there is any truth in following article......Seems like these days india's foreign policies wrt to pakistan are there days made in washington DC instead of new delhi.

In US footsteps

India shockingly passed up an opportunity in the IAEA to confront the China-Pak nuclear deal, says N.V.Subramanian.

11 March 2011: Looking for direction from the United States on the China-Pak nuclear deal, India dug its own grave in the IAEA days ago. The IAEA board of which India is member unanimously passed the safeguards agreement between China and Pakistan for the Chinese sale of two nuclear reactors to Pakistan.
At least one Asian power historically opposed to nuclear weapons/ proliferation and which is threatened by China in East Asia was prepared to resist the China-Pakistan safeguards agreement provided India took the initiative at the IAEA. After some initial hesitation on the part of prime minister Manmohan Singh, India had taken to agitating against the Pak-China deal especially with the United States and other Nuclear Supplier Group (NSG) countries.
The US that refused a nuclear deal like that with India to Pakistan because of its scandalous proliferation record at first vetoed Chinese reactor exports to Pakistan. China says its present exports are grandfathered from its nuclear deal with Pakistan before it joined the NSG. But this is untrue and nobody believes it.
After making preliminary objections, the US has gone soft to mum in NSG meetings/ public pronouncements about the China-Pak deal. Other NSG states have shown opposition. But it is the US that really counts. The US needs China to revive its economy, contain Iran and rein in North Korea. America is also dependent on Pakistan for waging the war in Afghanistan. Plus, China has used the Indo-US deal to demand similar concessions for its pact with Pakistan.
The trouble is that Pakistan is an aggressive nuclear power and congenital proliferator. Its cache of weapons exceeds one hundred and is growing according to independent estimates. It has used its deterrent to prosecute a low-intensity terror war against India. Just one year after becoming a formal nuclear power, Pakistan launched a "limited war" in Kargil.
And Pakistan singlehandedly has blocked progress on a verifiable FMCT.
Certainly, several/ most of these postures/ developments/ denouements are outside the control of India. It is also true that the Indo-US nuclear deal is becoming an albatross around the neck that some strategists and this writer warned off and which is delivering less than it promised.
But for that reason, the nuclear deal cannot be undone.
Nations sometimes have to live with the blunders they make.
And yet, nothing justifies India's silence during the IAEA meeting on the Pak-China safeguards agreement. It is nonsense to suggest, as it is beginning to be proposed, that the real opposition has to come in the NSG, which unanimously has to approve the Chinese reactor exports to Pakistan.
As described in the earlier paragraphs, the real heavyweight in the NSG, the US, will not stand in the way of the Pak-China deal. European/ Scandinavian opposition, if at all, counts for less. Kicking China out of the NSG if it goes ahead with the deal does not enamour the US at all.
So if the deal is a fait accompli of sorts, was it worth opposing it in the IAEA, to begin with?
Yes.

A country has to mark its position, whether or not it wins.
The Pak-China nuclear deal is against India's interest. If India won't oppose it, why should others? Indeed, the outrage at India's silence was most felt by the Asian power mentioned earlier. It was entirely prepared to come to India's assistance in the IAEA. It wields extraordinary moral traction against nuclear weapons/ proliferation.
But India's silence left it shocked and stunned.

It now transpires that the foreign ministry alerted the prime minister's office about the IAEA meeting. The foreign ministry was fully prepared to oppose the deal in the IAEA. But it needed the PMO go-ahead.
In PMO internal discussions, a view crystallized to support the foreign-ministry position. Insiders say even an order was issued to oppose the China-Pak deal in the IAEA.
And then, inexplicably, the order never reached the Indian side at the IAEA, despite foreign-ministry reminders. India's calamitous silence on a matter central to its national security was noted all over the world.

The angry view within a section of administration is that the Manmohan Singh government decided not to take a stand in the IAEA to remain on the right side of the US. Given the slavish pro-Americanism of the prime minister, who shoved the Indo-US nuclear deal down the throat of an unwilling county, that should come as no surprise.
It appears we have lost the capacity to negotiate the world without American guidance.
N.V.Subramanian is Editor, www.NewsInsight.net, and writes internationally on strategic affairs. He has authored two novels, University of Love (Writers Workshop, Calcutta) and Courtesan of Storms (Har-Anand, Delhi). Email: [email protected].

Tronic

I wouldn't exactly say that, looking at how openly corrupt the Pak government is, there are surely many hands being greased. We all are aware of the 5 star treatment, which includes having his own chef, Raymond gets in jail. It is American money in the swiss bank accounts of Pakistani leaders which makes things the way they are. Ofcourse this time it is a little different since it turned out to be an act of espionage, which ofcourse ISI would want to dig into as much as they can, before they let Raymonds off. Otherwise, Raymond is still getting a luxurious treatment which is only available to Pakistan's American masters. If that was an Indian spy, you can imagine. ;)

Its wrong that you blame me for this.I'm not playing anyone.
You misunderstood, I'm not blaming you. You're smart enough not to get pulled into their immature attacks, which I see them carry out in every single thread against you, so I'm actually commending you. Maybe you 'playing them' was a wrong selection of words.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You misunderstood, I'm not blaming you. You're smart enough not to get pulled into their immature attacks, which I see them carry out in every single thread against you, so I'm actually commending you. Maybe you 'playing them' was a wrong selection of words.
Because that is what a troll does...spout rubbish and dont respond when you get called out.

There is nothing commendable in that...everyone can do it on a rivals forum.

Tronic

Because that is what a troll does...spout rubbish and dont respond when you get called out.
Ernesto, I admit I am not acquainted that well with everyone here since I'm relatively new to most members but the time I've been here, reading ajtr's posts, it seems as if she always managed to post her views on issues, but in return, rather than attempting to contradict her points where people feel she is wrong, they just go on a tangent trying to bash her. It only leads someone, like me for example, to come to the conclusion that no one actually has answers to her posts, so they resort to personal attacks on her.

If you don't agree with her, than share with us why you do not agree with the point she makes. Bashing her doesn't make her points less credible.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ernesto, I admit I am not acquainted that well with everyone here since I'm relatively new to most members but the time I've been here, reading ajtr's posts, it seems as if she always managed to post her views on issues, but in return, rather than attempting to contradict her points where people feel she is wrong, they just go on a tangent trying to bash her. It only leads someone, like me for example, to come to the conclusion that no one actually has answers to her posts, so they resort to personal attacks on her.

If you don't agree with her, than share with us why you do not agree with the point she makes. Bashing her doesn't make her points less credible.
She has been banned in the past for trolling and constant anti-India rhetoric in almost every thread.

Most know her game and know replying with a sane post will fall on deaf ears because it has happened before also.

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Court frees CIA contractor accused of murder: Rana Sanaullah

ISLAMABAD: A Pakistan court on Wednesday freed CIA contractor Raymond Davis, who was accused of murdering two men in Lahore, after blood money was paid in accordance with sharia law, the Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said.

"The family members of the slain men appeared in the court and independently verified they had pardoned him (Davis)," provincial law minister Rana Sanaullah told a private television.

"He has been released from jail. Now it is up to him. He can go wherever he wants," he added.

The lawyer representing the victims, Asad Manzoor Butt, said he was not allowed to appear for the hearing. The lawyer alleged that Davis possibly escaped from the prison with the consent of the authorities, DawnNews reported.

The lawyer further claimed that he was kept in unlawful confinement, according to DawnNews.

PML-N spokesman Pervez Rasheed the Punjab government was not involved in the release of Davis, DawnNews reported.

The January shooting sparked a diplomatic row with the United States, who persistently claimed Davis was an embassy employee and enjoyed diplomatic immunity, particularly after it emerged he was working for the CIA.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles