BrahMos - Submarine launched version

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Re: India Test Fires Underwater Version of Brahmos Missile

Guys, this underwater Brahmos is great achievement, plus it also validates that India now has credible underwater missile launching capability.

Russians didnt help us in underwater launch, tech was taken from K15, Since underwater missile launch capabilities can be used to launch nuke SLBM, this tech was not shared with us.

Now looking forward to K4 and A5 container cold launch.
Yeah saya, people are not understanding this fact. We already have Brahmos, and Brahmos SLCM isn't a completely different tech, people are missing the point that DRDO can now convert any missile for the underwater launching platforms and for that DRDO is not making any huge efforts or time hence it's not bad to have an SLCM even if we don't have subs to launch them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

:truestory: plus if you follow the relative development the k-15 look alike (externally) fire alike (same philosophy) now we have under water launch capabilities :humble:
Yeah but i think they want to keep testing the cold launch to be absolutely sure. We really don't want to lose a boat

lookieloo

@Bheeshma
@Payeng

Thanks. Will there be any VLS retrofits? I don't know of any SSK designs that incorporate vertical tubes right now (too bad Chakra doesn't have it either).

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Yusuf underwater cold start is safe we dont know how drdo does it. But long time back i saw how us did it. They push the missile out or submarine using steam from nuke reactor, this makes the missile exit the tube out to surface, sensor then kick start the engine and stage sepration.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

@AC strange part is that it is mostly tech guys who dont understand. Plus paid media aand corrupt sarkari guys.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

@AC strange part is that it is mostly tech guys who dont understand. Plus paid media aand corrupt sarkari guys.
Saya yeah, due to paid media and corrupt babus our generation is being misguided which ultimately gives a setback to our indigenous developments.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Sir, VLS in an attack sub is not just desirable but imperative. The advantages of vertical launch, safety aside, is the fact that we can have a larger number of active missiles. This test does not mean we are going to fit a first gen brahmos into a kilo or scorpene class (not even possible). Neither should our approach be to fit them in torpedo tubes as it would mean developing an entirely new system, which at the end of the day is a much slower delivery mechanism considering only 2 active missiles at any point.

please remember, that our future SSN's - the ones we intend to build ourselves must and will have VLS. They must and will be armed with supersonic attack missiles. thats what hunter killer subs do. those future SSN's will have bramhos 2 or 3 or a separate variant altogether but that work has to start now. and this test is just a part of that work.

a single SSN with 64 Bramhos 2 in 2025 can take out the entire scs fleet and reduce hainan base to rubble.
Sir, Indian Navy disagrees with you.

There will be VLS in new subs but it will be featuring SAMs. I am not saying that subs should not have VLS. Of course there will be VLS (of different size than current) but brahmos is not to be used there.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Nrj you have no idea, how much our forces want this missile, they even pre-deposited missile cost for the old version of the test. Reason no other weapon system is like Brahmos, simply because enemy wont even see it coming, when it strike.
Saya this is old issue & discussed before. Different forces have different stratergy. There is no thumb rule. Brahmos is not holy mary.

Issue has been there since last naval chief & consequent officials have adopted the same thinking. We discussed this in past like year before or more in P75 A/B thread.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

lookieloo

I checked to see if it would fit in the Tomahawk's footprint for use on our SSN boats, but it's too long. Bummer, I was hoping for LRASM-B substitute. :(

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I wonder if Shivathanu Pillai is acting independently or was there a plan to make submarine launched Brahmos in the first place. Quite confused.

tharikiran

Country flag
I wonder if Shivathanu Pillai is acting independently or was there a plan to make submarine launched Brahmos in the first place. Quite confused.
I don't think without Govt. backing our institutions will develop anything on their own.Even though Brahmos Aerospace is a Public-Private partnership, without pointers and requirements from navy..I am not sure they would have developed this.

Bheeshma

As Saya had mentioned once the Arihant class can possibly carry 4 Brahmos per tube. I would assume Arihant can be used for testing purpose after firing K-15's.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
They are acting independently. Navy has not submitted any requirement.

Pillai is targeting VLS on new line of submarines. And new subs are to be designed on navy's specifications that VLS won't be used for attack missiles. He should try fitting brahmos in tubes.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I don't think without Govt. backing our institutions will develop anything on their own.Even though Brahmos Aerospace is a Public-Private partnership, without pointers and requirements from navy..I am not sure they would have developed this.
If true, its a great development. Something that should be encouraged especially involving private sector. I remember there was one other missile that came as a surprise. Shaurya I think.

Good development this. Except that they should make it tube launched as well for current subs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles