Boxing authorities call for female fighters to wear skirts

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Boxing authorities call for female fighters to wear skirts

Top female boxers are outraged after being asked to start wearing miniskirts during bouts.

After years of campaigning, women's boxing finally won the right to become part of the Olympics next year.

But the Amateur International Boxing Association has set their cause for equality back by asking women boxers to start wearing short skirts rather than shorts.

The skirts, which were trialled by Polish and Romanian fighters taking part in the recent European Championships, have left many top stars of the women's sport furious.

"I don't even wear miniskirts on a night out, so I definitely won't be wearing miniskirts in the ring," blasted Ireland's three-times world champion Katie Taylor. "It's a disgrace."

English fighter Nicola Adams echoed Taylor's thoughts.

"Boxing has always been in shorts. I don't see why it should change to skirts just because you're a female," she said.

AIBA president Dr Ching-Kuo Wu has defended the decision, which was announced at the recent World Championships in Barbados.

"I have heard many times, people say, 'We can't tell the difference between the men and the women,' especially on TV, since they're in the same uniforms and are wearing headgear," he told the Times Union.

Wu added that while the new clothing is currently optional, it may be made compulsory "after we hear about its comfort and how easy it is to compete in the uniform."

And while the likes of Taylor and Adams are furious, some fighters welcomed the change.

"By wearing skirts, in my opinion, it gives a good impression, a womanly impression," said Polish women's boxing coach Leszek Piotrowski.

"Wearing shorts is not a good way for women boxers to dress."

Boxing authorities call for female fighters to wear skirts - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
Great, what?

Or is it a stupid idea?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Whatever will provide most viewing pleasure is good.

Learned experts, please post your views. :namaste:

Param

Yay!

But what's the point some would continue to wear shorts under the skirts.

Phenom

Two things that guys like most; mini-skirts and cat fights, if the boxing authorities could somehow make sure that jello is thrown at the contestants then these will surely be the most watched boxing matches ever.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Maybe, this is how boxing is brought back to the limelight with MMA being on top now.

Nice! Clever thinking

mayfair

Waiting for the kickboxing authorities to follow the lead. Now that would be interesting!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
RAY wrote
Great, what?

Or is it a stupid idea?
Oh, it's a great idea. Now they need to make jello wrestling an Olympic sport.:lol:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Outrageous. How come it's always these East Asian board heads demanding that women athletes wear miniskirts? Earlier, a few months ago, the badminton federation made a similar ruling, and now this. This sort of rule is extremely sexist, degrading and debasing. It is also devoid of all logic. It's an attempt by PERVERTED MEN to turn the female version of the sport into a gawk fest, where males can go to hoot, whistle and catch a glimpse of underskirt rather than to enjoy the sport for what it is.

I hope the women athletes sue the boxing board for this decision, and I wish the media hounds the board members for every personal detail of their sexual history.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Outrageous. How come it's always these East Asian board heads demanding that women athletes wear miniskirts? Earlier, a few months ago, the badminton federation made a similar ruling, and now this. This sort of rule is extremely sexist, degrading and debasing. It is also devoid of all logic. It's an attempt by PERVERTED MEN to turn the female version of the sport into a gawk fest, where males can go to hoot, whistle and catch a glimpse of underskirt rather than to enjoy the sport for what it is.

I hope the women athletes sue the boxing board for this decision, and I wish the media hounds the board members for every personal detail of their sexual history.
No jello wrestling, then.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles