Big New Chinese Order for Russian Fighter Engines

nimo_cn

Country flag
1>WS10 does exist and is being used.
2>WS10 is still not perfect and has a lot of defects that need to to be fixed.
3>In a foreseeable future, China is still gonna import engines from Russia. But the dependence on Russian engines is decreasing, WS10 is a start.

You guys can celebrate because China still needs Russian engines.
We can also celebrate because China is having our own engines.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Moot Point: Why brand-new J10s need russian engines?

nefory

You know J10A is design froze for more than 10 years, right?
You know what does that mean to modify an existing model to accommodate an entirely different engine, right?

modifying rear fuselage in order to accommodate a new engine is a huge thing, stupid thing to do when it is not necessary. As a J10 upgrade, J10B is already testing WS10B. No need to conduct an huge unnecessary project on the old J10 design.
As for the new J10B which are entering service in early 2012, they will still be using AL31FN. The reason is clear---CAC just started testing J10B with WS10A this July, after the order of J10B were taken.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
You know J10A is design froze for more than 10 years, right?
You know what does that mean to modify an existing model to accommodate an entirely different engine, right?
Exactly. But if china is already in capacity to produce very capable engines then going for Russian ones? They can replace old AL31 series with advanced chinese ones.

nimo_cn

Country flag
First, you can't prove Chinese are installing russian engines in new J10s.

Second, even if russian engines are used in new J10s, I am not suprised.

How much faith do you have in your first engines? I doubt you will take the risk of installing the unproved engines in all of your new planes.

My explanation to the purchase of Russian engines is
1> they are for the old J10s, or J11s.
2>Chinese want to play safe, it too risky to use WS10 in all of Chinese planes
3>Production of WS10 is low

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
First, you can't prove Chinese are installing russian engines in new J10s.

Second, even if russian engines are used in new J10s, I am not suprised.

How much faith do you have in your first engines? I doubt you will take the risk of installing the unproved engines in all of your new planes.
Maybe nothing but we are not talking about India here.

My explanation to the purchase of Russian engines is
1> they are for the old J10s, or J11s.
2>Chinese want to play safe, it too risky to use WS10 in all of Chinese planes
3>Production of WS10 is low
Well you said it yourself.

• WS-10 are not yet reliable.
  • China having low production capacity is BS. You & I know it very well. Your production capacity is probably many times higher than anyone.
The inference is WS-10 is yet not trustworthy.

There is nothing to be embarrassed of it. Such abilities are not acquired in short time. But lets put end to chest thumping of WS-10's success.

nefory

1>WS10 does exist and is being used.
2>WS10 is still not perfect and has a lot of defects that need to to be fixed.
3>In a foreseeable future, China is still gonna import engines from Russia. But the dependence on Russian engines is decreasing, WS10 is a start.

You guys can celebrate because China still needs Russian engines.
We can also celebrate because China is having our own engines.
WS10A won't be able to fit in old flankers and J10A.The cost of modifying 500+ Flankers and J10's fuselage just to accommodate WS10A would be a nightmare. Even WS10 are super engine, China still need to buy Russian engine to keep their fleet flying for the next 10 or so years until they retire.

nefory

Exactly. But if china is already in capacity to produce very capable engines then going for Russian ones? They can replace old AL31 series with advanced chinese ones.
How many times I have to repeat myself? WS10A can't fit in old Flankers' and J10As' fuselage. WS10A has a diameter of 950mm and AL31 has a diameter of 910mm. It would be a stupid costly nightmare to modify all 500+ flankers and J10A just to accommodate a equivalent engine.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How many times I have to repeat myself? WS10A can't fit in old Flankers' and J10As' fuselage. WS10A has a diameter of 950mm and AL31 has a diameter of 910mm. It would be a stupid costly nightmare to modify all 500+ flankers and J10A just to accommodate a equivalent engine.
Can you provide financial stats & engine specifications with reliable source on it.

Because I not looking for how affordable that affairs is, rather looking for authenticate source on WS-10s readability.

nefory

Can you provide financial stats & engine specifications with reliable source on it.

Because I not looking for how affordable that affairs is, rather looking for authenticate source on WS-10s readability.
You are asking for detail specs on latest Chinese military equipment? You do know which freaking country we are talking about, don't you? All I can tell you are these:

1. All newly built and equipped J11B/BS/J15 all powered by WS10A.
2. To this day, two regiment of J11B/BS are at service of PLAAF and PLANAF (you know Navy always have high requirement on reliability of engines)
3. J10B is testing WS10A (the WS10A on J10B has noticeable difference in terms of configuration)

I have both pictures and video to prove the above. No more than that

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
You are asking for detail specs on latest Chinese military equipment? You do know which freaking country we are talking about, don't you? All I can tell you are these:

1. All newly built and equipped J11B/BS/J15 all powered by WS10A.
2. To this day, two regiment of J11B/BS are at service of PLAAF and PLANAF (you know Navy always have high requirement on reliability of engines)
3. J10B is testing WS10A (the WS10A on J10B has noticeable difference in terms of configuration)

I have both pictures and video to prove the above. No more than that
So there is no documented source. Fair enough. Thank you.

Last edited:

nefory

So there is no documented source. Fair enough.
Even if there is any, you are talking as if you can read Chinese. And by the way, any document released by Chinese official wouldn't considered reliable, would they?

nefory

You know, we do need to consider if something is affordable of doing. Or we will end up spending billions of dollar for building something for decades and all we hear from the officials are "we are planing","are expected to",and "we will".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Aircraft engines has been one of China's technological headaches.

nefory

Aircraft engines has been one of China's technological headaches.
Yeah, this is something Chinese have to admit. Engines of any kinds are the the gem on the crown of industry. China are still struggling to provide domestic power plant.

redragon

Country flag

I am 100% sure Russian are lying, there is no new contract for the engines at all, if you think otherwise, could you please provide financial statements, a certified true copy of the contract and evidence of cable transfer? If you can't then I am right. I have pictures showing J-11B, J-11BS, J-15 and J-10B are using WS-10s. You have craps on crappy Russian paper.

SpArK

SORCERER
I am 100% sure Russian are lying, there is no new contract for the engines at all, if you think otherwise, could you please provide financial statements, a certified true copy of the contract and evidence of cable transfer? If you can't then I am right. I have pictures showing J-11B, J-11BS, J-15 and J-10B are using WS-10s. You have craps on crappy Russian paper.
Russians are yet to send the receipts and bills to DFI..

will request through mail to scan and send it ASAP

redragon

Country flag
Russians are yet to send the receipts and bills to DFI..

will request through mail to scan and send it ASAP
:lol:
Upon receiption of the above mentioned details I will disclose all top dirty secrets of Chinese military spending, stay tune and hold your breath

Global Defence

New threads

Articles