Basic economy questions

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
That's why even the rickshaw puller updates his wages with inflation.

My arguments is the same, rickshaw pullar can do it but not all in unorganised labor sector ... if a domestic help does that .... he / she may not be as successful

But what we are discussing is that government intervention Vs Free exploration of labour.... and role of free market economy in that...

The question is : should it be left to free market ... in many cases then, the industry would close..

I say it is the government:playball: which keeps wages down !!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
My arguments is the same, rickshaw pullar can do it but not all in unorganised labor sector ... if a domestci help does that ....

But what we are discussing is that government intervention Vs Free exploration of labour.... and role of free market economy in that
If there is no forced labor like "bandhua majoor", some profession would take less time and others more to adjust. You are forgetting that low skilled people also change professions.

I do not know which unorganized worker you are talking about. Most people have increased their wages. The Biharis who work in my village, the construction worker, the bai in Delhi etc etc.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
If there is no forced labor like "bandhua majoor", some profession would take less time and others more to adjust. You are forgetting that low skilled people also change professions.

I do not know which unorganized worker you are talking about. Most people have increased their wages. The Biharis who work in my village, the construction worker, the bai in Delhi etc etc.
more than 70 per cent India's labour force are from unorganised labour sector . If that is not known or disputed then there is no use of discussion.

unorganised means which have on unions, associations etc and not capable of negations >> Like your rickshaw puller.. farm labour and majority of @MadIndian type labour

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
The only one sector and profession which is horribly managed and depends on political whims is farming. And all in the name of farmer benefit. The problem ranges from support price fixation to APMC act. No other prices are more fixed in India and no other sector suffers so much.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
more than 70 per cent India's labour force are from unorganised labour sector . If that is not known or disputed then there is no use of discussion.

unorganised means which have on unions, associations etc and not capable of negations >> Like your rickshaw puller.. farm labour and majority of @MadIndian type labour
You don't need unions to bargain wages. You just need freedom to move from one job to another. It happens even in unorganized sector. This is the reason that simple bai now charges 1000rs for cooking food while it charged 400rs 7-8 years ago. I do not think she has any union.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The only one sector and profession which is horribly managed and depends on political whims is farming. And all in the name of farmer benefit. The problem ranges from support price fixation to APMC act. No other prices are more fixed in India and no other sector suffers so much.

I agree but that sector is more than 50 percent of labour sector .. rest all are SMEs and cottage industry... there is no regulation of labour there and it is all exploitation galore..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You don't need unions to bargain wages. You just need freedom to move from one job to another. It happens even in unorganized sector. This is the reason that simple bai now charges 1000rs for cooking food while it charged 400rs 7-8 years ago. I do not think she has any union.

Imagine if that bai had power of negotiation which is her right..

This is the simple rule of capitalism and market force..

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I agree but that sector is more than 50 percent of labour sector .. rest all are SMEs and cottage industry... there is no regulation of labour there and it is all exploitation galore..
You are trying to solve excess of unskilled labour with min wage. It is not going to happen. The only solution is to move labour towards self improvement and skill development.

If you give super high wage for same output it will just destroy jobs because it would be unsustainable.

In farm sector there is invisible exploitation. You cannot sell your product where you want. If you have union, you mandate high support price for few crops. So growers of other crops suffer. All these measures are just- robbing A to pay B.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles