Australia pushing US For F-22

Neil

Country flag
DEFENCE Minister Joel Fitzgibbon will step up pressure on the US to overturn its ban on the sale of the F-22 Raptor fighter, amid growing federal government concern about delays and cost increases affecting the Joint Strike Fighter program.

Foreign sales of the F-22, described by many aviation experts as the world's best air superiority fighter, are banned by Congress, but there are signs that Washington might make an exemption for Australia.

Mr Fitzgibbon told The Australian yesterday he intended to push US Defence Secretary Robert Gates to allow the sale of the world's most advanced operational stealth fighter to Australia at next month's NATO conference in Bucharest.

"Ongoing question marks over the delivery schedule of the JSF reinforces the need we have to look at other '5th Generation' aircraft such as the F-22 Raptor," he said.
"During my bilateral meetings with Secretary Gates at the upcoming NATO meeting in Bucharest, I will again be discussing this issue with him."

More delays and increased costs to the so-far unproven US-designed Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning are driving renewed interest in the previously off-limits F-22. Reliable government sources told The Australian yesterday the RAAF might be able to buy the F-22 "off the shelf" under a congressional waiver, or a modified version stripped of some secretive technology.

Australia is part of an international coalition with purchase options on the multi-role JSF and has flagged an initial order of 100 of the jets, worth a minimum $16billion. But many defence strategists question the wisdom of the deal, given the retirement of the ageing F-111 fleet in 2010.
To bridge the capability gap, the Howard government ordered 24 F/A 18F Super Hornet fighters, at a cost of $6.5billion, to serve as frontline aircraft until the arrival of the JSFs in 2018. Despite misgivings about the procurement process, Mr Fitzgibbon last week confirmed the Rudd Government would go ahead with the controversial purchase."

Your thoughts?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-31477,00.html

ganesh177

Country flag
Considering the location of australia i wonder why does australia need f-22 in their arsenal.

sandeepdg

God knows what the hell are they so scared about that they require such hi-tech weapons ! I think the F-18 SH are more than enough for their requirements till they start receiving the JSF, they don't need an aircraft like F-22 at all for now. And I don't think the Americans are gonna bend the rules for the sale of the F-22 to Australia, if that actually happens, then other countries would want the same treatment, especially UK and Israel, which I think are more important strategic partners of the US than the Aussies, the Brits being the most important of all !

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
God knows what the hell are they so scared about that they require such hi-tech weapons !
So they could leak the technology to the Chinese. Australia sells a planet-load of metal-ore to China, they're in bed. F-22 has certain technologies that make it a non-for-sale asset to the US, not even to its closest allies.

Neil

Country flag
So they could leak the technology to the Chinese. Australia sells a planet-load of metal-ore to China,
u serious man...i mean US definitely keeps tab on sale of its high tech stuff....

Global Defence

Articles