'U.S. wants to strengthen military ties with India'

EagleOne

Ahead of his meeting with Indian counterpart A. K. Antony, U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates has said the Pentagon wants to strengthen and expand its military ties with India.
"We are looking to expand this relationship in ways that are mutually beneficial," Mr. Gates said at the Pentagon news conference which was jointly addressed by Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff.
"They (India) have a big competition going on for a new modern fighter. We'll probably have some conversations about that," said Mr. Gates.
The Defence Secretary said he had a very good visit to India last year wherein he met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A. K. Antony.
Responding to a question on the India's concerns about restriction on export of high-technology items, Mr. Gates acknowledged that this is high on the agenda and he would like to see those restrictions removed.
"I think that that is certainly high on our list, particularly in the context of export-import, or export controls, and my view of the importance of changing those export controls in ways that better protect the things that are really important and open up trade and allow U.S. companies to sell abroad those things that technologies that are not critical," Mr. Gates said.
"So, I think India certainly is high on our list in terms of a country that we would like, I would like to see those restrictions eased," Mr. Gates said.
The military-to-military relationship with India is exceptionally strong and growing, said Mr. Mullen.
"We are very committed to that, and with all of our services. I was recently there and it has taken on a significance that is equal to so many other historic relationships for us, and we know that," Mr. Mullen said.
"The Indian Ocean, we also know, is an incredibly important body of water; not just now, but also in the future.
So we recognise the importance of keeping that relationship as strong as it is, and also making it grow," he said.

The Hindu : News : ‘U.S. wants to strengthen military ties with India’

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
U.S. is trying to bring down INDIA slowly and make it like Pakistan. India should is clever and will remain clever.:emot154:

EagleOne

U.S. is trying to bring down INDIA slowly and make it like Pakistan. India should is clever and will remain clever.:emot154:
US dealing because if they wont sell other will sell their wepons
because india is ready to spend billions of $ on wepons who will leave the opportunity .if no one gives they will built their own now india has lot of capabilities

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
INDIA should build their own technology. You are correct Sir. Thats what we want. Spending millions and billions of dollars to buy the technology from other countries is a waste. Instead if we spend it to develop indigenious technology, we would have job oppurtunities for the younger generation, who are much talented(as mentioned by our Missle man Mr. A.P.J.Abdul Kalam).:emot112:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I think this is an opportunity where we need to enforce our strategic interests most forcefully and if in the process Americans are ready to oblige then we need to take this part of the relationship forward. Few of the main points I would like to see be negotiated real hard would be:

Supply of conventional weapons to Pakistan that pose any sort of threat to an Indian life be cut off with immediate effect.
India be made an exception from US laws that might restrict India from using weapon systems procured from the US and to make sure there are no further hurdles posed by any future administration of the US a legislation to this effect be brought and passed by US senate and by the US government.
US needs to take terrorism sponsored by Pakistan against Indian interests in India and overseas rather seriously and do everything in its capacity to make sure Pakistan at no point repeats it.
India needs to be brought to the global stage through various platforms as committed by the bush administration and nothing does it better than a permanent seat at the UNSC and here India looks for an unconditional support made in open public fora and in the process make sure they put in all the effort they can to get India through as one of the members.

I feel if these are met as per what India wishes for then I don't see a need of why we should not be buying military software and hardware from the US. Though not sure if I am asking for too much or too less, but would love to see all this happen for sure, and mind you all this in bargain for 'U.S. wants to strengthen military ties with India', and other demands can be kept for other things that US would want us to pursue.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
THe Indian policy makers have no guts to present their concern over U.S. arms sale to Pakistan.:angry_1:

SHASH2K2

India can never be Pakistan. No one can destroy a country . It can only be destroyed by its own people. Look at Japan It was supposed to be dead after Hiroshima and nagashaki but where it is now?

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

THe Indian policy makers have no guts to present their concern over U.S. arms sale to Pakistan.:angry_1:
You need to understan they cannot dump Pakistan completely. They need Pakistan for Afganistan operations.We need to make sue only one thing. If Pakistan gets any weapon or system we must get its countermeasures .

neo29

US needs an ally in the region to counter China. Who is better than the 3rd largest standing army against the PLA which has the largest standing army ????

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles