Astra BVRAAM

power_monger

Country flag
It should be kept in mind that some of the most 'straightforward' problems require the most complicated of engineering solutions. Conversely, some of the most 'complex' of problems have been solved with some of the most simple engineering solutions.

Having said that, Astra has a dual pulse rocket motor.
Bayern-Chemie are the developers of the propulsion of the MBDA Meteor AAM. And as you might have guessed correctly, the Meteor is another AAM that has variable thrust.

ASTRA's propulsion is indeed a very very important milestone for us, and yet it somehow doesn't find a special mention in most of the news reports about it.
I think Astra Mk-2 will have dual pulse motor and not the current mk-1 version.I did google out to find out that Meteor does uses variable thrusted ramjet. infact looking at the recent tenders DRDO floated,it is trying to get a long duration,high energy solid fueled ramjet which probably could go for Astra mk-3 or similar missile which could be similar to meteor.

But one good thing is as a part of Barak-8 development DRDO had agreed to develop dual pulse motor and it has delivered it. perhaps DRDO is waiting for its indigenious seeker development so that all sub-systems seeker,dual pulse motor can be tested on Astra mk-2 which be of higher range.

Kyubi

Country flag
Off topic guys !!! but i had to butt in to commend this high quality discussion, i've been off DFI for quite some time.. and this discussion has been a breath of fresh air, Thanks to @power_monger @DivineHeretic @Khagesh and others for this !!!

With Regards,
Kyubi.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Thanks @DivineHeretic for such a beautiful explanation. But I wonder why not much has been discussed on the seeking technology. Obviously if we fire a BVRAAM at any incoming fighter, then its the seeker of the missile which would give away its position even before it comes in visual range. Although if it used Terminal Active Radar then obviously it would be during its final 5/6 Km on head on targeting.

Could anyone enlighten me on its targeting system. I already read that DRDO is working on Laser targeting rather then RADAR. So how is it going to help?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I think Astra Mk-2 will have dual pulse motor and not the current mk-1 version.I did google out to find out that Meteor does uses variable thrusted ramjet. infact looking at the recent tenders DRDO floated,it is trying to get a long duration,high energy solid fueled ramjet which probably could go for Astra mk-3 or similar missile which could be similar to meteor.

But one good thing is as a part of Barak-8 development DRDO had agreed to develop dual pulse motor and it has delivered it. perhaps DRDO is waiting for its indigenious seeker development so that all sub-systems seeker,dual pulse motor can be tested on Astra mk-2 which be of higher range.
http://tarmak007.blogspot.in/2011/12/bvr-astra-missile-warming-up-for.html

Today, the mainstay of the IAF are the Russian-made R-73 and R-27 missiles and once the Tejas gets operational, the Israeli-made Derby too will join the party. India has already developed a dual-pulse rocket motor (enahances the range) for Astra Mk-II. "Self reliance in air launched missile and particularly air-to-air system is of strategic importance considering the new paradigm of air superiority warfare," sources said.

Yumdoot

Dual pulse motor (also there on Barak-8) is a good development but there is further work to be done in propulsion as we develop our missiles further.

Anyhow lets just hope the Astra Mk-1 works out well with its seeker getting indigenized. That seeker is more important then anything else at the moment. That and I wonder if any IR seeker, for air to air applications, is being pursued. IR seeker too would be needed.

Country flag
Dual pulse motor (also there on Barak-8) is a good development but there is further work to be done in propulsion as we develop our missiles further.

Anyhow lets just hope the Astra Mk-1 works out well with its seeker getting indigenized. That seeker is more important then anything else at the moment. That and I wonder if any IR seeker, for air to air applications, is being pursued. IR seeker too would be needed.

More than give seekers have been tested for astra including French, russian and Israeli seekers . I don't think any other bvraam had this much testing ?
After ten years it should be up to par?

Prashant12

Country flag
Astra missile proves anti-jamming capability

After some more trials, the missile is set to be inducted into Air Force next year

A crucial capability of the air-to-air Astra missile —its resistance to jamming — was successfully validated in recent trials conducted by missile scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which indigenously developed the compact missile.

After carrying out some more trials, including air launch trial with a warhead, the Beyond-Visual Range missile is set to be inducted into the Air Force next year, DRDO sources told The Hindu here on Friday.

During the recent ground and air trials conducted near Pune, the missile’s RF seeker and other electronic components were sought to be jammed to see how it performs in such a scenario at the time of war when the enemy tries to jam its operation. The ECCM (electronic counter-counter measure) features of the missile to overcome any jamming were evaluated. “The trials were vigorous. But the state-of-the-art missile did very well,” said the sources.

While several developmental trials, including captive flight mode, were already completed, next month’s tests would evaluate its performance in different scenarios and cover the entire air launch envelope required before its induction.

The all-weather, radar homing missile has high manoeuvrability and capability to engage and destroy aerial targets at supersonic speeds. The 60-km plus range missile possesses Shot Kill Probability (SSKP) making it one of the most reliable in its class of weapon systems.

The missile could be launched at different altitudes from sea level to 20 km for engaging aerial targets at various ranges.

Integration

Apart from integrating the missile with Su-30, it is planned to be mounted on other fighter aircraft including Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, Mirage-2000 and MIG-29.

The missile complex at Hyderabad and several DRDO laboratories in partnership with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and the Indian Air Force developed Astra.

The sources said the DRDO was planning to develop different versions of longer range air-launch missiles as the missile scientists now got a handle on air-to-air missile technology.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...ves-antijamming-capability/article8030156.ece

Prashant12

Country flag
IAF inducts indigenous BVR Astra Air-to-Air Missile

New Delhi. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has started inducting Astra, the indigenous Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air-to-air missile.

Vice Chief of Air Staff (VCAS) Air Marshal BS Dhanoa told newsmen March 10 that the missile had been integrated on SU-30 MKI aircraft after several tests, and that its first public demonstration would be held in Exercise Iron Fist in the Pokhran test range in India’s western state of Rajasthan March 18.

He did not disclose the range however. Although the induction has started on Su-30 MKIs, the missile will gradually be integrated on other aircraft also, including on the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) now under development.

BVR is a complex missile as it has to seek and follow a fast moving jet aircraft and lock onto it with its radar till the target is hit. BVR uses Ramjet technology, to make it much faster than the target it chases.

So far, only the US, Russia, China and the France-based European consortium (MBDA) have this technology. MBDA’s Meteor BVR will be onboard the Rafale combat jet the IAF is negotiating to buy from France, but its technology will not be available.

The range of Meteor is believed to be around 120 km, nearly twice the reported range of Astra.

It has taken India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) some 10 years to develop the Astra, which means weapon in Hindi. According to DRDO Chief Dr S Christopher, the system is being refined to reach a range of 100 km or more.

http://www.indiastrategic.in/IAF_inducts_indigenous_BVR_Astra_Air-to-Air_Missile.htm

Country flag
Good news guys....

Astra's seeker has been successfully indigenized. Expect a major production run for this missile.
— Saurav Jha (@SJha1618)
March 20, 2016 "><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Astra&#39;s seeker has been successfully indigenized. Expect a major production run for this missile.</p>&mdash; Saurav Jha (@SJha1618) <a href="">March 20, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
This has been the delay in astra. India tested 4-6 seekers mostly foreign, the indigenous seeker always performed best. Indian govt always wanted indigenous seeker for astra.

Saichand K

Country flag
This has been the delay in astra. India tested 4-6 seekers mostly foreign, the indigenous seeker always performed best. Indian give always wanted indigenous seeker for astra.
I think the current seeker being used by DRDO is purchased from Russia.

Saichand K

Country flag
Country flag
Dude, as far as I know, Indian seeker also use TI based chipsets. India currently does not make high end chipsets for defense electronics. I do my research work in high end power electronics...So...
Any electronic in Indian defense industry is imported. India has no indigenous semiconductor manufacturing/industry even for
Indigenous weapons. Israel a much smaller nation does.

Saichand K

Country flag
Any electronic in Indian defense industry is imported. India has no indigenous semiconductor manufacturing/industry even for
Indigenous weapons. Israel a much smaller nation does.
That is not correct. Board level and IC level electronics (upto some extent) India does in IISc (where I work) and some IITs. Also IC level work is not as advanced as being done in TI (USA R&D centers). But we are still in process of indigenuosly making BGA/PGA level IC chip level packages in India, with Indian technological know-how. I dunno whether u r being sarcastic or just making a statement.

Country flag
That is not correct. Board level and IC level electronics (upto some extent) India does in IISc (where I work) and some IITs. Also IC level work is not as advanced as being done in TI (USA R&D centers). But we are still in process of indigenuosly making BGA/PGA level IC chip level packages in India, with Indian technological know-how. I dunno whether u r being sarcastic or just making a statement.
I am saying developing an industrial military infrastructure should be a priority. With essential parts like chips being imported we are not 100 percent indigenous (very few nations are). Chinese were forced to develop an industry from the ban against them. It has taken them about 20 or more years to Develop semiconductors and they are still far from being world players.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles