Army looks for advanced armoured personnel carriers

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
As with the SPG i would like a solution which has more indian content in it , once the IA operated the OT-64SKOT this vehicle was an APC built on the base of a TATRA 8X8 Truck . now we build TATRA's in india, also our own TATA and ASHOK LEYLAND have developed 8x8 trucks . I feel we should go in for a stop gap solution in the PIRHANA or something comparable while going in for a three way project between the DRDO, either TATA or AL along with a global player like GIAT/MOWAG or the Russians to build a truly state of the art indian APC.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The Cassapir was basically bought as a stop gap measure for a mine protected vehicle (MRAP)too be used in the north-east & kashmir. In fact the OFB has since started building lookalikes in india as well. Aprt from being a 20yr old design unsuitable for the modern battlefield(the cassapir was always designed to be used more in insurgencies than in an actual war), the cassapir has nowhere close to the level of mobility, firepower and protection offered by modern 8X8 APC's.

the page on the indigenous MRAP from OFB

TECHNICAL DATA
Length 6.00 M
Width 2.90 M
Height 3.07 M
Ground Clearance 305 mm
Speed 85 KMPH Max
Patrol Speed 50 KMPH
GVW /Pay Load 11 Tons/1400 Kgs
Seats 10 + 2
Range 1000 Km
Fordability 1000 mm
Protection Level Mine Blast 14 Kgs TNT under wheels 10 Kgs TNT under Hull
Small Arms 7.62 SLR Rifle firing from a distance of 10 meters on all sides of vehicle
LMG/MMG Rotating Turret provided
Ordnance Factory Board

debasree

Country flag
we should go for indegenous one ,this is high time to invest home built weapons,we cannot be a big power when our 80% weapons are of foreign orijin.

san

From the technology point, design an APC shall be far less challenging compared to MBT and if we are going to import even the APCs, then we shall be ashamed ourself to tell that we are the 4th largest army but we cannot even manufature an APC. Somebody shall tells the import lobby of MOD & IA ,that we cannot keep importing all the weapons and plan to challenge PLA, though PA may be OK.

plugwater

^^ this is a very old news.

Four Indian companies(Tata Motors, Mahindra Group, L&T and OFB) will design a future armored carrier in which two will be allowed to make a prototype and later IA will select the best.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles