Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Blood+

Country flag
@Blood+ tell us what modern tanks will Arjun face in future, which has NATO standard armor?
You want a name??Great, I can give you multiple!!Here goes nothing - T 80UDs (some 360 of em), Type 90IIs aka Al Khalids (some 500 of em), ZTZ 99s and may be even Altay if the Pakistanis decide to go that monster!!Now granted, barring the Altay, none of these tanks have got armor that can rival what's on-board the NATO MBTs but still, their armor is definitely much more advanced than what we are testing our rounds again!!Got it matey??

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
You want a name??Great, I can give you multiple!!Here goes nothing - T 80UDs (some 360 of em), Type 90IIs aka Al Khalids (some 500 of em), ZTZ 99s and may be even Altay if the Pakistanis decide to go that monster!!Now granted, barring the Altay, none of these tanks have got armor that can rival what's on-board the NATO MBTs but still, their armor is definitely much more advanced than what we are testing our rounds again!!Got it matey??
except for Altay non has NATO standard. Plus Pakistanis dont have money for that tank. Now T80UB and Alkhalid dont confir to NATO standards.

Blood+

Country flag
except for Altay non has NATO standard. Plus Pakistanis dont have money for that tank. Now T80UB and Alkhalid dont confir to NATO standards.
They don't have to come close to NATO standards because our current APFSDS munitions aren't really at the same level of the NATO rounds like DM 63/ M338 (Israeli license produced version) or M829 series of rounds either!!And in any case, it was never my point to begin with!!Instead what I was trying to convey here, is that their armor is definitely much better than what we are testing our rounds against!!I mean come the fuckk on!!Forget about the Al Khalids or T 80UDs (T 80UDs have got rather great armor from what I've heard!!), even the later models of the ancient Centurions have better armor than what this so called 'NATO triple target' which is nothing more than 3 thin RHA plates of different thickness, stacked one against the other with some air gap in between!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There is way to calculate round`s efficiency via such targets, I don`t know abt it personally but their is reason this is globally adopted for testing tank rounds ..

NATO targets are a series of standard armoured targets defined by NATO designed to test the armour penetration of weapons. The purpose of the triple heavy target is to represent the difficulty a projectile would face in penetrating the skirt, roadwheel, and hull of a Soviet tank.
Do see this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_targets

ancient Centurions have better armor than what this so called 'NATO triple target' which is nothing more than 3 thin RHA plates of different thickness, stacked one against the other with some air gap in between!!

Blood+

Country flag
There is way to calculate round`s efficiency via such targets, I don`t know abt it personally but their is reason this is globally adopted for testing tank rounds ..

Do see this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_targets
I know about NATO targets already.What I'm saying here is that there are actually other methods for testing the effectiveness of tank munitions, like testing against blocks of RHA (instead of against thin plates separated by a few inches), placed at 60 degrees, in fact that method has become the standard in the recent times, with even the Chinese now following it.
For example :
wTrRwbM.jpg

I'm sure even the DRDO has started to use this method.

rishivashista13

Country flag
In which category the thermobaric (TB) and penetration cum blast (PCB) ammunition made by DRDO falls in . HEAT , HESH or APFSDS ?
Or this ammo has whole new concept other than these ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

rishivashista13

Country flag
The thermobaric round from tank barrel for duel role ( Anti material and Armour ) is new concept ..
Please anyone provide link , where we can read and understand in detail about these new DRDO ammunition .
Concept , working , penitration , blast , affects etc etc ......

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We already use thermobaric rounds from 84mm RL ..

===========

Not a DRDO source but will give you the basic idea > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon

Can we use this type of rounds from 84mm carl gustav?

Please anyone provide link , where we can read and understand in detail about these new DRDO ammunition .
Concept , working , penitration , blast , affects etc etc ......

Maj Gen TK Kaul

Maj Gen TK Kaul: Evangelizing peace through the IPSI

The India Pakistan Soldiers Initiative for Peace (IPSI) was founded by the late Padma Vibhushan awardee, Gandhian and social activist Miss Nirmala Deshpande, with the aim of promulgating peace between India and Pakistan.

The IPSI constitutes retired defense personnel of India and Pakistan, championing the cause of peace, disengagement and rapprochement through events, seminars and dialogues with senior country leaders at key discussions and talks in both countries. Taking laudable steps in urging both sides to get over the trust deficit and normalize relations. The purpose of the organization is to keep the dialogue process between the two countries alive through people-to-people contacts and meaningful discussions.

These military bigwigs who once bellowed war cries are now vociferously admonishing war and doing the peace chant. Holding the belief that there will be dividends in peaceful coexistence, which will usher in prosperity and empower people of both countries to kick-start a new era of progress.

Post Retirement Maj Gen TK Kaulhas lead innumerable initiatives for the IPSI by being the lead functionary. Mani Shankar Aiyar, former Minister and MP, is the current Chairperson of the IPSI. Lt Gen Moti Dar, the former Vice Chief of Army, is the ongoing President of the IPSI India Chapter and Lt General Mohd Nasir Akhtar is the ongoing President of the IPSI Pakistan Chapter. Maj Gen TK Kaul is the Executive President of the IPSI India Chapter.

The IPSI was briefly hamstrung with the demise of Nirmala Deshpande, but trudged forward in its mission in spite of facing overwhelming odds. It is dedicated members like Gen TK Kaul, who underpin the success of the IPSI.

When India saw a violation of the LOC, and suffered terror attacks, Maj Gen TK Kaul, along with the IPSI chapters in India and Pakistan strongly condemned them while placating both sides. Even though the peace talks in both countries were vitiated by these provocations, the IPSI stayed firm and resolute in its mission, holding its lofty ideals of brotherhood and bonding.

A peace march was organized under the aegis of IPSI India chapter by Maj Gen TK Kaul in Mumbai, which saw representation from the IPSI Pakistan chapter. This march started at Nariman Point and ended at Mani Bhavan, the symbolic residence of the Mahatma.

With the IPSI growing from strength to strength each year, the families of their members from both countries have become close friends. They go across the border when the children of their counterparts get married. What can be a better example demonstrating maturity and brotherhood without boundaries?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Their is so much less we know abt our own, Its a achievement that crew of this tank unit can fire 30rnds in a min, With 80% accuracy, Wonder how Arjun crew do with their`s gun ( No taking official 6rnds per min general benchmark for all MBTs in service ) ..

rishivashista13

Country flag

Their is so much less we know abt our own, Its a achievement that crew of this tank unit can fire 30rnds in a min, With 80% accuracy, Wonder how Arjun crew do with their`s gun ( No taking official 6rnds per min general benchmark for all MBTs in service ) ..
But how it is possible for loader to load rounds at such speed ?

Ramkumar

@Blood+ tell us what modern tanks will Arjun face in future, which has NATO standard armor?
I hope i am seeing the Arjun MBT from the days i started reading, but don't know when DRDO will able to produce this as MBT for India Army, One side DRDO missing the target, otherside army giving the requirement as per the fantasy movies of the recent days

Global Defence

New threads

Articles