Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

DivineHeretic

Country flag

Arjun MK-II is all set and gearing up for its final Summer Trials which are to be held by end of next month or in early July before it hits productions.-Indian army has asked for 93 improvements to the Arjun Mark II tank including 19 major modifications.

All the modifications suggested by the army had been successfully incorporated in the tank and will be ready for final trials by Indian army after which DRDO will seek clearance for production to start.-Heavy Vehicles Factory-(HVF) Avadi will need-30 months-(Two and a half years) to deliver-first batch-of-Arjun MK-2-to Indian army, DRDO is also hoping for fresh orders of Arjun MK-II from its current 126 placed by Indian army some time back.

MK-2-will see-increase-in-weight-from-62 tonne-to-67 tonne.-The-suspension-has been-re-designed-to handle-up to 70 tonne weight.-Wheels are bigger in dimensions-and have improved track length, MK-2 will be powered by the same MTU engine imported from Germany but it has been improved to carry extra weight of the tank but the-top speed-of the-tank-will be limited to-58kmph-coming down from 72kmph seen on MK-1 Arjun.-DRDO is working on indigenous powerhouse for future tanks but Integrations with Arjun can only happen if Army places order for 3 more Regiments of Arjun MKII (350). Otherwise it will only serve in next generation battle tank which Drdo is developing under Futuristic Main Battle Tank (FMBT) Program for Indian Army post 2020.

MK-2-will have improvements like-missile firing capability, improved commander's panoramic sight with night vision,-Hunter killer capability, improved Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) , improved communication equipment along with better navigation aid ,-full frontal Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA), Mine plough , improved gun barrel , additional ammunition types.

In Previous trials MK2 did not face any issues and Army was satisfied with its performance, DRDO has now completed all the improvements asked by Indian army on MK-2 variant and hopes Army will be satisfied after final rounds of trials and clears production of it along with fresh orders.

Arjun MK-II Gearing up for final trials | idrw.org

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Arjun Main Battle Tank Mark I (click)
Arjun Main Battle Tank Mark II (this thread)

Duplicate created from post below, for ease of reference.

=====================================================
DRDO chief V.K. Saraswat, also the scientific adviser to the defence minister, told HT at Aero India-2011: "The new variant will have several modifications including superior missile firing capabilities." On June-2011 the Mk-II begun to undergo trials at Pokhran ranges in Rajasthan. The Mk-II is also expected to go through its winter trials later the same year.

According to CVRDE the Director P. Sivakumar, the Arjun Mark II will have a total of 93 upgrades, including 13 major improvements. The major upgrades would be missile-firing capability against long-range targets, panoramic sight with night vision to engage targets effectively at night, containerisation of the ammunition, enhanced main weapon penetration; additional ammunition types, explosive reactive armour, an advanced air-defence gun to engage helicopters; a mine plough, an advanced land navigation system and a warning system which can fire smoke grenades to confuse laser guidance. Other upgrades are an enhanced Auxiliary power unit providing 8.5 KW (from 4.5 KW) and an improved gun barrel, changes in the commander's panoramic sight with eye safe LRF, night vision capability including for driver, digital control harness, new final drive, track and sprocket.

Arjun tank hull and turret has been modified to achieve the target weight of about 55 tons from 59-64 tons. Elbit is helping to enhance its firepower and battlefield survivability and IMI is helping to augment Arjun Mk II's mobility, redesign its turret and hull and improve its production-line processes.

The development trials of the Mark II tanks started on June 22, 2012, at Rajasthan's Pokhran field firing range which will continue for the next two months and will mainly focus on 19 parametres, according to DRDO spokesperson Ravi Gupta. DRDO will start production of 124 Arjun Mark II tanks for the Indian Army after the success of these trials. The tank commander's thermal imaging (TI) night sight, the tank's operation in "hunter-killer" mode, the tank's missile firing capability from its main gun, and a laser missile warning and counter measure system are among the crucial upgrades that will be tested.

The Mark-II version completed most user trials except missile testing, which is slated to take place in summer (April-May) of 2013. Since May 2012, user trials had been done in Avadi and Pokhran. So far, the response to the new features of Arjun Mark II was favourable. According to Director, CVRDE P. Sivakumar the Arjun Mk II could fire missiles accurately up to a range of 2 km. Owing to the experience while designing and building the first version work on Arjun Mk-II was completed in 2 years.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
MK-2 will be powered by the same MTU engine imported from Germany but it has been improved to carry extra weight of the tank
:facepalm:

but the-top speed-of the-tank-will be limited to-58kmph-coming down from 72kmph seen on MK-1 Arjun
:hmm:

pmaitra

My only concern is the speed. Other than that, everything else sounds good on the Mark II.

I wish all the best for the trials to Team Arjun!

:thumb:

bose

Country flag
My only concern is the speed. Other than that, everything else sounds good on the Mark II.

The spead of Arjun Mark - II is around ~ 58 - 60 KMPH... I was wondering do one really need a spead more than that considering the fact the supplies and other logistics need to put up with the same speed...

pmaitra

The spead of Arjun Mark - II is around ~ 58 - 60 KMPH... I was wondering do one really need a spead more than that considering the fact the supplies and other logistics need to put up with the same speed...
No, it won't make a big difference, because other support vehicles, such as, BMP-I/II, NAMICA, etc., are in the vicinity of ~60 kmph.

The point I was making is, that since weight has increased, an engine with commensurate more power should have been in the offing, but I guess that would need a large order to materialize.

Right now, I hope it passes the desert trials.

bose

Country flag
No, it won't make a big difference, because other support vehicles, such as, BMP-I/II, NAMICA, etc., are in the vicinity of ~60 kmph.

The point I was making is, that since weight has increased, an engine with commensurate more power should have been in the offing, but I guess that would need a large order to materialize.

Right now, I hope it passes the desert trials.
We have to think seriously of an efficient power plant for Arjun current series as well as for the future versions"¦ the current 1400 HP MTU power plant is under powered for the weight of 67 Tons.

I have a feeling that MOD will go ahead with around 500 Arjun – Mark II, then it makes sense to continue with the new 1500 HP power plant with Cummins"¦ hope I am right here"¦

There was a proposal from Ukraine for TOT for 1800 HP power plant, not sure where we are on this offer. My feeling is that next generation Tanks / FMBT with very high on electronic counter measures, UAV surveillance and lasers etc will require a very powerful power plants. We much start thinking of it from now itself"¦

pmaitra

We have to think seriously of an efficient power plant for Arjun current series as well as for the future versions"¦ the current 1400 HP MTU power plant is under powered for the weight of 67 Tons.

I have a feeling that MOD will go ahead with around 500 Arjun – Mark II, then it makes sense to continue with the new 1500 HP power plant with Cummins"¦ hope I am right here"¦

There was a proposal from Ukraine for TOT for 1800 HP power plant, not sure where we are on this offer. My feeling is that next generation Tanks / FMBT with very high on electronic counter measures, UAV surveillance and lasers etc will require a very powerful power plants. We much start thinking of it from now itself"¦
Yes, and I hope this 1800 hp engine is seriously considered. Even ToT would help.

I think DRDO is playing it smart. The message to IA is clear, "you got all the improvements, and because of your improvements we have more weight, now if you want to get a powerful engine, you had better order enough of these, or else, stick around with the old engine."

captonjohn

Country flag

Speed is mainly used for getting quickly in cover after firing tank round. All tanks can not fire accurately at such high speed and hence they need to slow down to make a clear shot. Kunal Biswas correct me if I am wrong. The difference is not too much and can be handled in battlefield.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
In battle condition, quick acceleration matters more than speed..
Yes it is acceleration speed is often more important then top speed but I wonder what might be the acceleration speed for a vehicle topping at 58 kmph

Afaik, Arjun has a good acceleration..
How much, is still a debate.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
As a result of all these add-ons, the Arjun Mk1A's fully loaded weight will be 67 tonnes. To cater to this weight increase, the MBT's Kirloskar-built hydropneumatic suspension systems has been re-designed to cater for weights of up to 70 tonnes. Track-shedding problems have been resolved by selecting the DST 570V tracks that will have an increased horn length (19mm). The MTU 838 Ka-501 diesel engine and RENK's RK-304S gearbox (making up the powerpack) has been retained for the Arjun Mk1A. On the Arjun Mk1, the final drive had catered to a top speed of 72kph. For the Arjun Mk1A, the final drive has been enhanced by increasing the reduction ratio from 4.4 to 5.3, while the top speed now stands at 58.5kph. In addition, the torque and the force available at the contact between the track and the surface has been increased which to cater for the MBT's increased weight. However, despite the increased weight, the Arjun Mk1A's acceleration is better than the Arjun Mk1, while fuel efficiency and the power-to-weight ratio of 23.9hp/tonne remain the same. The DST 570V's increased track-width will ensure that the ground pressure (0.84kgf/cm2) remains the same in spite of the MBT's increased weight

TRISHUL: Orders Placed For Arjun Mk1A MBT's Vectronics Suite

Larger the Gear ratio Larger the Mechanical advantage

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
if i am not wrong The cross-country speed is quite good, since the IA's armoured warfare philosophy does not call for sprinting ahead deep into enemy territory. At most, the IA's MBTs will be required to advance no more than 30km into enemy territory under the ever-present nuclear overhang. Secondly, the Arjun Mk1A MBTs will be able to fire-while-manoeuvring only when the MBT is travelling at some 20kph. Under such circumstances, a top speed of 58.5kph is quite good. Kindly also note the other logistics-support variants of Arjun like BLT-Arjun & CMF-Arjun that will be ordered in appreciable quantities in the near future as well

members from IA baground can fill in more info

Global Defence

Articles