Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Flame Thrower

I remember that Arjun(MK2!?) was supposed to participate in some tank exercise.

Did that event happened or when will it happen.(I feel something good about this exercise.)

OT: Any pending deals between India and Russia!!??(467! T 90 deal)

mendosa

Every time this thread is updated I ask the same question : can anyone give a one line update on what is the status of Arjun project?

How many Mk 1 Tanks ?
How many Mk 2 Tanks ?

itsme

Country flag
Every time this thread is updated I ask the same question : can anyone give a one line update on what is the status of Arjun project?

How many Mk 1 Tanks ?
How many Mk 2 Tanks ?
Wiki says Elbit and IMI are helping to redesign turret and hull to reduce weight. I am not sure how true that is. I personally think its bs.

mendosa

Wiki says Elbit and IMI are helping to redesign turret and hull to reduce weight. I am not sure how true that is. I personally think its bs.
Yes. Every time the thread is updated, someone posts some article about how new technology is being added to it, then someone posts a new thread a few days later saying that Arjun has been rejected in favor of some Russian tank, then again someone updates this thread claiming that DRDO is putting magic paint on Arjun. This keeps going to and fro and becomes difficult to keep track of. That is why I'm hoping someone gives a current status of the project.

How many Arjuns have been inducted and how many more are going to be inducted?

Vijyes

Yes. Every time the thread is updated, someone posts some article about how new technology is being added to it, then someone posts a new thread a few days later saying that Arjun has been rejected in favor of some Russian tank, then again someone updates this thread claiming that DRDO is putting magic paint on Arjun. This keeps going to and fro and becomes difficult to keep track of. That is why I'm hoping someone gives a current status of the project.

How many Arjuns have been inducted and how many more are going to be inducted?
It will take at least upto 2018 to get a new tank. Maybe Arjun will be redesigned into Arjun Mk3 to get a light weight tank. One has to be patient and not rush for new information every now and then. Also, maybe they are waiting for new indigenous engine to be fully functional.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Had this been already shared here? Is it true?

While insisting that the Arjun Mk.II has ‘exhibited the required performance in all aspects of agility, mobility and other operational/functional parameters in the desert and semi-desert terrains during various phases of user trials’ and that it is ‘confident that that Arjun Mk.II will have requisite agility, mobility and other operational/functional parameters in various developed and semi developed terrains also’, the DRDO is also wondering why the Army is averse to a proposal to operationally compare the Arjun Mk.II with the T-90 (a comparison that was conducted over a decade ago on the Mk.I). According to the DRDO, “As directed by Hon’ble RM (Defence Minister), DRDO requested Army for mobility comparative trials with the Arjun MBT Mk-II even with 68.6 t’ along with T-90 to prove its tactical and operational mobility aspects in all envisaged terrains (including developed and semi developed terrains) for its future employability. However, Army intimated that Arjun MBT Mk-II and T90 are of different class & weight classification and their deployment is as per assigned operational roles. Arjun MBT has operational employment restrictions to specific sectors (desert/semi desert) being heavy tank. Therefore, Army intimated that the conduct of comparative mobility trials is not required.”
https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/03/big-new-hurdle-for-indias-arjun-battle-tank.html

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
It's a part of the Israeli ALWACS, the IR Jammer.

Personally not a fan of the position. It should be armor in it's place.
Supposedly that's the FCS for the CLGM/LAHAT according the Mk.2 Brochure.

I guess the Gunner's Sight Mark II doesn't have a laser designator, and this device is used for painting targets when a third party targeting isn't available.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Supposedly that's the FCS for the CLGM/LAHAT according the Mk.2 Brochure.

I guess the Gunner's Sight Mark II doesn't have a laser designator, and this device is used for painting targets when a third party targeting isn't available.
Why is it so big ? Infantry uses hand held designators for laser based pgm. Is clgm laser beam riding or semi active laser homing ?

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Because unlike infantry, it has to paint a target as far as 5 to 8km max. So it has to be bigger then the hand held designators.
But is it worth sacrificing the right cheek armor ? Merkavas are designed to fire lahat clgm, and they don't have this big designator module.

Chinmoy

Country flag
But is it worth sacrificing the right cheek armor ? Merkavas are designed to fire lahat clgm, and they don't have this big designator module.
Although not sure, but Merkava too has something like that size.
Merkava3dKasag001.jpg

Maybe @Shaitan or @Saumyasupraik or some other known member could point it out. I think it is there on the right of the cannon. The difference is there in the overall turret design. Else Merkava and Arjun, both are using the same system.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
View attachment 17231
Maybe @Shaitan or @Saumyasupraik or some other known member could point it out. I think it is there on the right of the cannon. The difference is there in the overall turret design. Else Merkava and Arjun, both are using the same system.
I think those flat pieces on the extreme right and left cheek are the APS transponders. And right beside main gun is the gunners primary sight.

porky_kicker

Country flag
View attachment 17231
I think those flat pieces on the extreme right and left cheek are the APS transponders. And right beside main gun is the gunners primary sight.
Vorschlaghammer ur correct

Chinmoy ,i believe that square box was installed becz the Arjun gunner sight did not have the channels for target designation.

though now looking at the latest model it seems, that the square box has been replaced by new unknown system
either
1.it is a IRCM system ie soft kill system
2.it is a laser guidance system for CLGM
3.best feasible option it is a combination of the above two (best possible explanation for 4 optical sensors/lenses in a single system)

the laser targeting system for CLGM could have been incorporated into the commanders panoramic sight IMO.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles