Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Back to topic after sensational defense reportings ..

================

The progress of tank engine seems to be in prototype and been in this stage for year or so ..

The exterior look of the engine seems to be lot similar to MTU 838 Ka-501, But hopefully its lighter ..

lcafanboy

Country flag
NOT HAPPY WITH INDIA BEING LABELED ONE OF THE LARGEST IMPORTERS OF DEFENSE EQUIPMENT IN WORLD: ARUN JAITLEY
SATURDAY, MARCH 18, 2017 BYINDIANDEFENSE NEWS

BEL CEO detailing the Remote Controlled Weapons Station to Maj Gen GD Bakshi at Aero India
Union minister Arun Jaitley, who was appointed the Defence minister just days ago after Manohar Parrikar stepped down to become the chief minister of Goa, met Russia’s Minister of Trade and Industry Denis Manturov at Manekshaw Centre on Friday. Manturov is on a two-day visit to India to focus on issues related to the $1-billion Indo-Russian deals including Kamov-226 helicopters, the progress of Project 1135-6 frigates for the Indian Navy and T-90 tanks for the Indian Army, among others. Soon after the meeting, Arun Jaitley said, “India is one of the largest importers of defense equipment in the world, and this definitely is not a label we are happy with.” Addressing a conference on India-Russia Military and Industrial cooperation, Jaitley called for deeper bilateral engagement in defense production. He said that Russia should at least facilitate manufacturing of parts and subsystems, which are needed in large numbers and where the requirement is recurring in nature.
According to FE Bureau, “Besides meeting with the new defense minister Arun Jaitley, three sets of meetings have been planned for the visiting minister. He will meet officials of Indian Army, Navy and the Air Force. The interaction between the Russian side and the Indian armed forces, as well as the industry, is to see how all can work together as a support system.”
On the day, two agreements were signed at the conference between India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) and Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation and United Engine Corporation for the long-term supply of spares and technical assistance for Sukhoi Su-30MKI aircraft for five years.
Saying that these moves are part of the larger defense and economic agenda chalked out by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for India, FM Jaitley said, “PM, after forming the government, launched the Make in India initiative; defense production is identified as one of the key areas under this.”
Earlier today, Defence Minister Jaitley while intervening in the Lok Sabha during a debate had said that the Indian armed forces were fully prepared to meet any challenge and asked the Opposition to be very careful about conveying the impression that they were not due to lack of procurement.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/03/not-happy-with-india-being-labeled-one.html

@sayareakd @Indx TechStyle @Kunal Biswas @all

debspark90

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas what are your views on the recent article in Trishul blog regarding new RHA material and aluminum wheels ? Do you think its heading that way correctly ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I believe it is, These new development not only will benefit Arjun but also our knowledge through R&D, These development can be applied to local made Russian designs as well ..

@Kunal Biswas what are your views on the recent article in Trishul blog regarding new RHA material and aluminum wheels ? Do you think its heading that way correctly ?

Flame Thrower

U.S. Army: Foreign Tanks Are Now "Competitive" to the M1 Abrams
@sthf I could be wrong, when an American military spokesperson compares other weapon system with theirs, then there is a huge chances of upgrading or replacing it it.

I heard about a new upgrade to lighten M1A2 Sep tanks i.e., lighten their turret and upgrade their tank Electronics and fire control system. They have their own FMBT program too.

sthf

Country flag
@sthf I could be wrong, when an American military spokesperson compares other weapon system with theirs, then there is a huge chances of upgrading or replacing it it.

I heard about a new upgrade to lighten M1A2 Sep tanks i.e., lighten their turret and upgrade their tank Electronics and fire control system. They have their own FMBT program too.
M1A2 SEPv3 is about to enter production and M1A3 is being planned as well to take on Armata. Usually this kind of talks come up when the services are trying to get more money. This is not that time.

Also with Trump being chums with Russia, China would have been the potential enemy US Army would have advertised.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
I want to ask simple question

What is Arjun Mk 1, Mk 1A and Mk 2? The thing which we know as Mk 2 is really Mk 2 or that is actually Mk 1A and next 60 ton version with 120mm smoothbore gun will be Mk 2?
And if Mk 2 is already developed then what is Mk 1A and what is the next generation Arjun? Are future Arjun and FMBT same?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some of known Prototypes and models of Arjun series tanks :

Arjun prototype with 105mm L7 cannon and unknown FCS from 1980s

Arjun MK1 prototype from mid 90s with BEL FCS

Tank Ex aka Karna MBT, Arjun modified turret mated with T-72M1 chassis, From early 2000

Enhanced Arjun MK1 with unknown FCS and new turret, Never went into production, Date unknown

Arjun MK1 with ARDE 120mm cannon which went into production from late 2000

Arjun MK2 prototype at Defexpo 2015 at Goa.
================

FMBT is entirely different design, But often refer to as Arjun MK3 but this is not official ..

FMBT requirement is 120mm smooth-bore, Only few rumors suggest that MK2 final version will be armed with a smoothbore version of its present rifled one, But this is just a rumor and came out on certain blog ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have no knowladge on this MK1A, I assume its best a prototype ..

Just like Joint venture carbine and Medium sub machine gun are same thing but called differently within OFB / DRDO and Army ..

Thank you sir,But what is Mk1A?

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Ok thanks.... I hope Indian Army gets desired version soon
I have no knowladge on this MK1A, I assume its best a prototype ..

Just like Joint venture carbine and Medium sub machine gun are same thing but called differently within OFB / DRDO and Army ..

Prashant12

Country flag
Anti-tank weapon test from MBT Arjun successful

BHUBANESWAR: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Wednesday successfully test-fired an anti-tank weapon having a strike range of 5 km from a next-gen tank at a defence test facility off Odisha coast.

Defence sources said the ammunition, fired from main battle tank (MBT) Arjun Mk-II at the firing point-II of the Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) at Chandipur during noon, hit the target as expected.

“The high explosive anti-tank weapon was fired from the indigenously developed Arjun tank in salvo mode against a decommissioned tank. In this complicated exercise, the ammunition successfully hit the tank,” said a defence official from New Delhi.

The aim and objective of the test was to capture data generated during the trial and analyse it whether the weapon had that required effect on the target. Besides gauging the efficiency of the advanced Arjun tank which is a pride of DRDO, the test also confirmed the firepower of the ammunition.

“Similar trials also have been planned in coming days. Though open firing from Arjun tank has been conducted in the Pokhran range of Rajasthan several times, this time an instrumented tank was targeted during the trial,” the official said.

The Arjun is a third generation main battle tank developed by DRDO. It features a 120 mm main rifled gun with indigenously developed armour-piercing fin-stabilised discarding-sabot ammunition, one PKT 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun and an NSVT 12.7 mm machine gun.

The tank is powered by a single MTU multi-fuel diesel engine rated at 1,400 hp and can achieve a maximum speed of 67 km/h and a cross-country speed of 40 km/h.

The tank has proved its worth under various circumstances. In 2015, it had received global accolades with the Chinese military officials praising the tank which suits Indian conditions. Arjun was commissioned in the Army in 2004 while its Mk-II version has undergone design changes for better firepower.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...n-test-from-mbt-arjun-successful-1590469.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles