Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

pmaitra

Two questions:
  • What is the advantage of a roof mounted driver's seat?
  • How many tanks in a tank squadron might have the mine plough?

@Ray Sir, @Kunal Biswas

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Layman term : A man who is a nonprofessional. unless you are some how, I will take my words back..

Where as this is not a political thread and Jingo term does not suit to anyone here as no one advocating foreign policy..

=======================

As a mod i dont appreciate such ways..

Ok as you are a mod maybe I dont deserve to tell you this,

1. Respect for Respect.
2. Introspection.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@pmaitra,

Not necessarily this may be the same for Arjun Squadrons, But this is the best on Web..

( **** Information extracted from Published article from public Internet **** )

pmaitra

But what happens when their is a top attack on the turret by a ATGM ?? or am I mis understood your point...
The probability of hitting the driver's hatch is low. For example, the Javelin has a IR seeker, so the heat of the engine would typically be a signal to the missile, and in case of Arjun, it will probably hit the rear of the tank, not the front, where the driver sits.

In any case, top attack missiles do pose a threat to modern tanks.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Two questions:
  • What is the advantage of a roof mounted driver's seat?
  • How many tanks in a tank squadron might have the mine plough?

@Ray Sir, @Kunal Biswas
The number of tanks equipped with a mine plough will typically depend on the formation employed by the commander of the group and the expected/known density of mining. Also note that formation employed is also dependent of mining density.

For example, if the regiment/division commander orders a line formation or echelon formation of movement/attack to maximise firepower at the front, depending on the mining levels, every tank at the formation head may have to be equipped with mine ploughs. Though this formation is almost never used in case of passing through heavily mined sectors, unless the minefield is very near the target/defensive force.

Again, if the commander orders a column formation of movement, the number of tanks at the head of the group are reduced. Here the lead and the second lead tanks are usually equipped with mine ploughs. The 2nd lead (or even 3rd lead) tanks are equipped so that in case the lead tanks are hit/immobilised, the convoy/column is not stalled due to surrounding mines. This formation is most used when passing through minefields, but the trouble is that the firepower at the head is fairly low.
Typical column formation can be 2-6 columns moving with reasonable spacing.

Please note that certain terms I've used may not be the correct ones to use in this context.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Layman term : A man who is a nonprofessional. unless you are some how, I will take my words back..

Where as this is not a political thread and Jingo term does not suit to anyone here as no one advocating foreign policy..

=======================

As a mod i dont appreciate such ways..
Even if I take back my words, let replace military jingo to acclaimed military knowledgeables, it seems my stands with respect to my replies do not change,

A no change in opinion.

Dejawolf

Good points you have raised.

Frankly, I do not understand how by keeping the numerator constant and by changing the denominator, the ratio can remain the same. This is mathematically impossible, but I think anybody with a penchant for the English language can become an author of technical articles.

An engine will always produce the same horsepower, if it remains the same engine. The brake-horse-power can differ from the horse-power, because, there are differences in the ways one measures them; however, as long as the engine is same in Mark I and Mark II, and as long as Mark II weighs more than Mark I, I fail to see how the power-to-weight ratio can remain constant.

This is just absurd, and I am, perhaps, missing something.

Regarding the change in the sprockets, I think I read they changed the way it was being made. Earlier, it was fabricated, and now, they are simply casting it (IIRC?); therefore, it is cheaper and quicker to produce.
could be they're talking about torque instead of power. engine power is reduced, torque is increased, end result is tank retains acceleration, but loses top speed.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
MK-2 will be powered by the same MTU engine imported from Germany but it has been improved to carry extra weight of the tank but the top speed of the tank will be limited to 58kmph coming down from 72kmph seen on MK-1 Arjun

Arjun MK-II Gearing up for final trials | idrw.org

The Arjun Mk.2 is fitted with a new unspecified turbocharged diesel engine, which replaces the previous German MTU MB 838 Ka-501 diesel unit, developing 1 400 hp. It is speculated that the new engine is the Cummins QSK-38 turbocharged diesel unit, developing about 1 500 hp. It should be coupled with a French transmission
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/arjun_mk2.htm

methos

Country flag
So now we have 1500hp engine for Arjun and that is even turbo-charged...

Good news..
Sorry, but I think the answer is "no". MilitaryToday.com isn't a very reliable source, it is not specialized on Indian news like idrw.org and it is very speculative (" It is speculated..."). The article is already a few months old, it was written once the first images of the Arjun Mk. 2 prototypes were released. It also fails at mentioning the reduced top speed.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
knee jerking ? idrw copy news from other places and post..

You should be looking other sources and good for you i have posted other sources in this small thread, care to read before post..

it is not specialized on Indian news like idrw.org and it is very speculative (" It is speculated..."). The article is already a few months old, it was written once the first images of the Arjun Mk. 2 prototypes were released. It also fails at mentioning the reduced top speed.

Decklander

The cummins engine will be a reality only if IA orders over 350 MK2s in one go. And that will never happen as the IA Generals and Baboos of MOD will not be able to get bribes from Russians.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles