Arjun Catapult artillery system

JBH22

But Russian were able to use same T72/T90 chassis for there heavier 155mm SPGH

May be DRDO trying to sell there arjun chassis
SAU MSTA is based on T-80 Chassis.

As to DRDO projecting this SPG as state of the art, well we are not that naive. anyways its better than nothing, let's hope they mate 155mm gun to the chassis. Reviving BHIM Project would be helpful.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
How this Gun turns left right ? does the whole tank chassis need to be moved for it .
but you asked in your post about movement of the gun on the chasis my answers is for the above question since you don't need to repositon the chassis all the time

Last edited:

Phantom

I remember reading somewhere that the Army was still happy with the M 46 cannons' performance and didn't want them to waste away in storage. This might explain why only 40 units are being procured by the Army, as that may be the actual number of servicable M46s available with the Army.

But that Sun-shade lends a really primitive look to the SPA. The last time I saw something similar was on an old Road Roller near my Home!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GOXoKkEGY...tCAjjTHo/s1600/Navilteerth+Dam+Roadroller.jpg

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
even this thing can rotate on its pivot .Arjun already has use turret system for tank they could have modified it .If i am not wrong this is the same gun used on vijayanta tank chassis .What is use of a tank if you can't protect the gun crew .
how they are utilizing the tanks inner compartment .
Iam not criticizing this solutions but questions arise in my mind as our IA crew would be using it.
first this is not a tank it comes under artillery second it will not be positioned in front lines it duty is to provide fire support for the troops in the front lines The batteries are many kilometres behind the FLOT (Forward Line of Troops). They plan a location where they can be Fire Capability for some certain amount of time and do multiple fire missions before needing to displace. Generally in a proper battlefield artillery will be protected by SAMS and Some ICV's since the biggest enemy of artillery is enemy air-force and some time enemy rocket artillery

Ordinary towed guns can take a while to emplace and re-limber and are not armoured, so they are vulnerable to counter battery fire and take a while to engage when at a new location.

Self-propelled guns do not suffer from these restrictions. They can drive up, drop their trails, fire and move on

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Read the Link, Again and Again until you get what is written before commenting ..

Arjun Catapult artillery system

Arjun 130 mm gun: DRDO tastes success

Feasibility study of mounting 130 mm Catapult Gun on Arjun Chassis Mk-I was carried out in May- June 2012. The technical study concluded that upgradation of the existing Catapult on the chassis could be carried out in a very short time and the equipment capabilities increased.

A date in the month of November, 2012 was fixed by the DG (artillery) for the first field trial. The CVRDE, Avadi, took up the challenge after they were given a spare gun system to mount on the Arjun, Mk I in July, 2012. The trials were held between 27 November to 3 December 2012. The Arjun mounted chassis outmatched Vijayanta by a large margin, also in the test for stability, while firing charged rounds.

The developmental trials were held between 31 July to 13 August, 2013 during the summer. Arjun Catapult was fitted with two sets of Goegraphical Positioning System and one Gyro used in Arjun Mk-I during these trials. Driver's Night Vision Device (DNS) and Commanders' night sight (HHTI) were also successfully tested. It was also provided with fire fighting system based on Instant Fire Detection Suppression System as existing in Arjun Mk-I tanks.

The Arjun Catapult was run for about 500 kms during this trial and subjected to maximum intense and sustained firings.

'The firings and mobility trials were absolutely smooth which gave full confidence to the users as well as the development agency, that the requirement of Arjun Catapult of artillery would soon be a reality. It is expected that the user trials based on General Staff Qualitative Requirement (GSQR) would be held in November-December 2013, and 40 Catapult Guns would be inducted by the army,' a senior DRDO official stated.

Source : Arjun 130 mm gun: DRDO tastes success | Millennium Post

Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: DRDO to unveil catapult gun system built on Arjun MBT Mk-I chassis | First public display likely at Defexpo | GSQR trials in May

CVRDE director P Sivakumar told Express on Wednesday that the catapult would feature advanced technologies of Arjun MBT automotive system, along with the 130 mm (SP) M-46 gun system.

The catapult has STANAG Level II protection (a NATO standardisation agreement) for the crew.
===========
===========

I dont read DRDO claiming anything but excellent mobility of Arjun MK1 chassis, I read that Army intended to use this system as its fastest solution, People should read before making childish commentary ..

As to DRDO projecting this SPG as state of the art, well we are not that naive..
The gunner should have bullet proof cabin instead of sunshade!!!!
even this thing can rotate on its pivot .Arjun already has use turret system for tank they could have modified it .If i am not wrong this is the same gun used on vijayanta tank chassis .What is use of a tank if you can't protect the gun crew .how they are utilizing the tanks inner compartment .Iam not criticizing this solutions but questions arise in my mind as our IA crew would be using it.
But that Sun-shade lends a really primitive look to the SPA. The last time I saw something similar was on an old Road Roller near my Home!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GOXoKkEGY...tCAjjTHo/s1600/Navilteerth+Dam+Roadroller.jpg

Phantom

@Kunal Biswas

I understood what was written perfectly well. But how is my observation on the aesthetics addressed anywhere in the article though? I repeat, I am not questioning the performance of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Did you read ' STANAG Level II protection (a NATO standardisation agreement) for the crew.' in the article before your post ..

Indeed, It looks primitive as the Gun and the shed are from late 60s design, Its Army wanted to be so ..

Personally I wanted Bhim back, But as Gov blacklisted it without much proof, Army is option less and looking for improvised solutions where Catapult comes in, For dedicated SPGH there is a hopless tender going on and we are reading everyday new article from different lobbies > >

Bhim SPGH

Catapult SPGH
Either way, Many are happy that something came for rescue and that too from Our own National Defense Industry, Its always beneficial for us, 3 million strong Army need National defense production oiled and running all time ..

@Kunal Biswas

I understood what was written perfectly well. But how is my observation on the aesthetics addressed anywhere in the article though? I repeat, I am not questioning the performance of the system.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Did you read ' STANAG Level II protection (a NATO standardisation agreement) for the crew.' in the article before your post ..

Indeed, It looks primitive as the Gun and the shed are from late 60s design, Its Army wanted to be so ..

Personally I wanted Bhim back, But as Gov blacklisted it without much proof, Army is option less and looking for improvised solutions where Catapult comes in, For dedicated SPGH there is a hopless tender going on and we are reading everyday new article from different lobbies > >

Either way, Many are happy that something came for rescue and that too from Our own National Defense Industry, Its always beneficial for us, 3 million strong Army need National defense production oiled and running all time ..
Sir it is only short time option. Not a good idea to have gun at the reverse. Gun has to be at front side. Plus i think they need to cover up crew area.

bennedose

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that the idea of having a mobile artillery piece is because artillery locating radars are so accurate and so fast in feeding coordinates to enemy artillery that no system can stand in one place for more than a few rounds/minutes. Bullet proof cabins are of no use against counter battery fire and a gun facing backwards is great for shoot and scoot. No need to reverse when one is trying to move off a few hundred meters to a new position. In any case setting up for firing in a new position takes a few minutes and both reversing and turning may be needed depending on the terrain. These weapons will sit a few km behind our lines and shoot tens of km into enemy territory. Anything within 20-25 km will be easy meat but enemy artillery can get them unless they keep moving.

I would have been happier to see it in 155 mm, but hey this is better than nothing.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@sayareakd Sir, I agree that crew better have more protection but again this is the design chosen by Army as this is a fast track solution to our SPGH problems, I think in future DRDO, Army and TATA should work together for a better system, Perhaps re-incarnation of BHIM but in 45cal ..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@sayareakd Sir, I agree that crew better have more protection but again this is the design chosen by Army as this is a fast track solution to our SPGH problems, I think in future DRDO, Army and TATA should work together for a better system, Perhaps re-incarnation of BHIM but in 45cal ..
Sir from the news report they give the gun and the system to drdo free of cost to test it. Now that does not mean that DRDO cannot cover it with armor it will add some kgs in weight may be save crew from sharpnals and bullets.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, You know it well that DRDO wont be doing anything beyond what Army requested ..

Sir from the news report they give the gun and the system to drdo free of cost to test it. Now that does not mean that DRDO cannot cover it with armor it will add some kgs in weight may be save crew from sharpnals and bullets.

ghost

first this is not a tank it comes under artillery second it will not be positioned in front lines it duty is to provide fire support for the troops in the front lines The batteries are many kilometres behind the FLOT (Forward Line of Troops). They plan a location where they can be Fire Capability for some certain amount of time and do multiple fire missions before needing to displace. Generally in a proper battlefield artillery will be protected by SAMS and Some ICV's since the biggest enemy of artillery is enemy air-force and some time enemy rocket artillery

Ordinary towed guns can take a while to emplace and re-limber and are not armoured, so they are vulnerable to counter battery fire and take a while to engage when at a new location.

Self-propelled guns do not suffer from these restrictions. They can drive up, drop their trails, fire and move on

Defence News - Operation 'Mandhol' forced Pakistan to change war plan

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes, Special forces are always meant for such roles, And indeed a MG would provide better protection for the crew ..

But in case of Catapult design, It gives troopers to disperse quickly and can engage openly ..

Reminding this is original Catapult from late 60s design, Only the Chassis is modern design ..

Reasons why so, is being repeated in this thread ..

note the machine gun is provided for protection from infantry

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Yes, Special forces are always meant for such roles, And indeed a MG would provide better protection for the crew ..

But in case of Catapult design, It gives troopers to disperse quickly and can engage openly ..

Reminding this is original Catapult from late 60s design, Only the Chassis is modern design ..

Reasons why so, is being repeated in this thread ..
Kunal sir now a days they have protection lever of more then BMP and slightly less then MBT.
hope tha Bhim team work on it we cant have our soldiers given 1960s tech, if we can make it better without wasting time.
DGMF office God knows what they do. Gorgian war would have open their eyes but it appears it didnt.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Imho, Sir i am counting on Bhim but its highly unlikely as per present situation its going anywhere, There are tender going for Tracked SPGH and if i am not mistaking MSTA is leading due to its ability to mount on Arjun or T-72 chassis, MSTA is no where to Bhim in rate of fire and crew comfort so does ammunition magazine ..
@bengalraider

Kunal sir now a days they have protection lever of more then BMP and slightly less then MBT.
hope tha Bhim team work on it we cant have our soldiers given 1960s tech, if we can make it better without wasting time.
DGMF office God knows what they do. Gorgian war would have open their eyes but it appears it didnt.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles