'Annex part of Bangladesh'

Galaxy

Country flag
'Annex part of Bangladesh'

Mon, Dec 12th, 2011

Dhaka, Dec 12 (bdnews24.com) – Former Indian cabinet minister and Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy suggested to annex land from Bangladesh in proportion to its illegal migrants staying in India.

Swamy's suggestion came through an article published by an Indian newspaper Daily News & Analysis or DNA on July 16, media reports say.

Following the publication of the controversial article, Harvard University cancelled two of the summer courses taught by Swamy — 'Quantitative Methods in Economics and Business' and 'Economic Development in India and East Asia'.

The article that caught attention of both the Indian and the US media, suggested that "northern one-third from Sylhet to Khulna can be annexed to re-settle the illegal migrants".

He also advocated destruction of hundreds of Indian mosques and disenfranchisement of non-Hindus in India.

Former MP's article read: "...if any Muslim does so acknowledge his or her Hindu legacy, then we Hindus can accept him or her as a part of the Brihad Hindu Samaj (larger Hindu society), which is Hindustan.

"India that is Bharat that is Hindustan is a nation of Hindus and others whose ancestors are Hindus. Even Parsis and Jews in India have Hindu ancestors. Others, who refuse to so acknowledge or those foreigners who become Indian citizens by registration can remain in India, but should not have voting rights."

The Indian politician further wrote: "While the PM thinks that Maoists' threat is most serious, I think Islamic terrorism is an even more serious existential threat. If we did not have today the present Union Home Minister, PM, and UPA chairperson, then Maoists can be eliminated in a month."

Swamy received significant criticism for his article.

"Swamy's op-ed clearly crosses the line by demonising an entire religious community and calling for violence against their sacred places," Harvard University professor for Comparative Religion Diana L. Eck said.

"Harvard has a moral responsibility not to affiliate itself with anyone who expresses hatred towards a minority group," she said. "There is a distinction between unpopular and unwelcome political views."

Reacting to the university's move, Swamy told reporters in New Delhi on Thursday, "It is a dangerous principle that stifles personal opinion."

'Annex part of Bangladesh' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Galaxy

Country flag
Former Indian cabinet minister and Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy suggested to annex land from Bangladesh in proportion to its illegal migrants staying in India.

The article that caught attention of both the Indian and the US media, suggested that "northern one-third from Sylhet to Khulna can be annexed to re-settle the illegal migrants".

He has some valid point. That would be good for us to settle 10's of Millions of migrants Bangladeshi living in India illegally.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
:lol: Swamy stirring up more controversies

Anyways if we do have to annex a portion of Bangladesh (hypothetically), it should be Chittagong and areas close to it. Doing this would ensure port connectivity to North East India ;)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Swamy is an idiot.

Although India should acquire the whole thing rather than parts but my reasons are different than his.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Every time I look at a map of South Asia I wince whenever I see Bangladesh.

It just looks so unnatural, separating NE India from the rest of the country.

pmaitra

:lol: Swamy stirring up more controversies

Anyways if we do have to annex a portion of Bangladesh (hypothetically), it should be Chittagong and areas close to it. Doing this would ensure port connectivity to North East India ;)
Hypothetically, yes, I agree.

Practically, I'd rather send back those millions of illegal immigrants back to Bangladesh than annex territory to settle them.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Swamy is an idiot.

Although India should acquire the whole thing rather than parts but my reasons are different than his.

Can you share?:ear:

I wouldn't want to add 170 million more people.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
We should send the immigrants back instead of annexing BD territory which is gonna make the immigration even worse.

amoy

I wouldn't want to add 170 million more people.
Recall there's a website for country-to-country comparison. Not being isolated (under embargo alike), BD's GDP nominal is only equivalent to N. Korea only. A big WHY?? NK's population of 20+ mil. is smaller than Fujian Prov. of China despite a similar territorial size.

Naturally BD should have been more than obliged to offer India a corridor/seaport/logistics btwn India proper and NE or pursue Hindu/Muslim communal harmony, or curb emigration for a thousand reasons (that u know more than I do). But why does BD stay vigilant and often resistant? The write-up abt annexation actually sheds some light on why India's SOFT power or diplomacy is such a joke even on the subcontinent that it even has to go to such an extreme like annexation. By that token shall China pursue annexing part of Pakistan or Myanmar for oil/gas pipeline or gateways to Indian Ocean??

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
In history, annexations have happened not to acquire unwanted people but more land to settle your own people and exploit resources. The basis of annexation laid by Swamy is flawed. He is trying to legalize illegal immigration by illegal act of taking another countries territories. We don't want illegal immigrants. Send them out.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Ohimalaya, you are overreacting. This opinion is that of Mr. Swamy, who is a buffoon. He's the same as your Mao, but without the power. In the past, this idiot has also asked for all Indian Muslims (~200 million of them) to either convert to Hinduism or get deported to Pakistan.

No one pays any attention to him, least of all anybody in government. In a democracy, you will hear all kinds of views aired publicly, but it doesn't mean that they get any traction.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It appears that this suggestion is basically to rile the politicians and be obtuse.

lemontree

Professional
He probably skipped his medication. He mentions that Parsis & Jews in India have hindu heritage - LOL.

agentperry

bacterio-pakistania can infect any one irrespective of his state, race,caste,creed and religion. and its spreading. DEFCON

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
He probably skipped his medication. He mentions that Parsis & Jews in India have hindu heritage - LOL.
His brother-in-law is Jewish, his son-in-law Muslim, his sister-in-law Christian, and his wife Parsi

Vyom

Seeker
I doubt the credibility of this report. Is there a neutral source?

amoy

Of course I know what this Swamy sprouts wont turn into an action or a policy. It's only highlighted he, who was even made a minister, seemed at his wits end. The anxiety over immigrants could hv been resolved through diplomacy or that much hyped India's soft power. But he comes up with an genius idea - annexation.

lcatejas

Already we have a headache of azamgarh and we don't want more. or a Vote bank politics

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles