Americans waste $165 bn worth of food every year: study

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Americans waste $165 bn worth of food every year: study

Americans throw away nearly half their food every year, waste worth roughly $165 billion annually, according to a study released on Tuesday.

"As a country, we're essentially tossing every other piece of food that crosses our path. That's money and precious resources down the drain," said Dana Gunders, a scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council's food and agriculture program.

The NRDC report said Americans discard 40 per cent of the food supply every year, and the average American family of four ends up throwing away an equivalent of up to $2,275 annually in food.

Just a 15 percent reduction in losses in the US food supply would save enough to feed 25 million Americans annually. It also would lighten the burden on landfills, where food waste makes up the largest component of solid waste, according to the NRDC, a nonprofit environmental organization.

Particularly worrisome, the organization said, was evidence that there has been a 50 percent jump in US food waste since the 1970s. Unsold fruits and vegetables in grocery stores account for a big part of the wasted food.

But consumers and restaurants are also to blame, preparing large portions that result in leftovers that often go uneaten.

The NRDC said it is asking for the US government to study losses in the food system and set goals for waste reduction.

"No matter how sustainably our food is farmed, if it's not being eaten, it is not a good use of resources," said Gunders.

Blackwater

i agree on this.ameerican buy loads of food coz its cheap ,and then throw it after it crosses its expiry

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Even after throwing half the food they are MOSTLY overweight/obese....

btw as per one report I read Americans use 6 times the resources per person as compared to others ... for example fuel etc etc.

Can't find the report, may be somone can put it here.

Blackwater

btw as per one report I read Americans use 6 times the resources per person as compared to others ... for example fuel etc etc.

only reason is food is very cheap in ammerica

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I learned to finish what was on my plate because my my elders lived through the Depression. Americans will need that experience again to change their habits.

Iamanidiot

I learned to finish what was on my plate because my my elders lived through the Depression. Americans will need that experience again to change their habits.
We are compelled to learn that here by hook or crook

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It's always good not to waste food.

There are oversized containers,glasses,cups etc in US so consumer either eat/drink all and get fat or throw because they cant have it all.

ani82v

Country flag
It's always good not to waste food.

There are oversized containers,glasses,cups etc in US so consumer either eat/drink all and get fat or throw because they cant have it all.
I saw that in a documentary Super Size Me! about how the glasses at McDonalds got bigger over decades. One of the reasons why 25% of Americans are obese.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The NRDC said it is asking for the US government to study losses in the food system and set goals for waste reduction.
Right. We need another government study and more government regulation.:rolleyes:

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Find a report linking use of resources to productivity so it will mean something.:)

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
It is sad and embarrassing how wasteful we are as a nation. We take our success for granted and we have become increasingly insular, self obsessed and ignorant about the outside world. The world is undergoing a radical metamorphosis and unless we change our ways and adapt we run the risk of going bust. The first step has to be increased awareness.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The all you can eat "kitchen sink" icecream!

its free if you finish it :laugh:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
It is sad and embarrassing how wasteful we are as a nation. We take our success for granted and we have become increasingly insular, self obsessed and ignorant about the outside world. The world is undergoing a radical metamorphosis and unless we change our ways and adapt we run the risk of going bust. The first step has to be increased awareness.
American wheat is deliberately sunk into the Atlantic to keep the price of what high !! For them it is an economic activity..... same with Brazilian Coffee...

W.G.Ewald

Professional
American wheat is deliberately sunk into the Atlantic to keep the price of what high !! For them it is an economic activity..... same with Brazilian Coffee...
Cite for that?

ani82v

Country flag
Report: Technology Has Made The World Fat | TechCrunch

The world has paid for the luxury of Angry Birds with its health and looks: a new report finds a strong link between technological advancement and expanding waistlines. According to economic think tank, The Milken Institute, a country the size of America will add 4.2 million Spanx-wearing citizens for a 10% growth in Information and Communication Technology (ICT). "The main culprit is the knowledge-based society," states the report, "more processed foods, a greater amount of 'screen' time (watching TV, using computers, playing video games, etc.), decreased energy expenditure, and/or higher consumption of snack foods have all played a role."

Around the world, obesity rates have shot up higher than the population's blood sugar. China's has more than doubled (2.5 to 5.7) in 6 years; India's has almost tripled (0.7 in 1998 to 1.9 in 2008). But, that doesn't hold a bacon-flavored candle to American exceptionalism: the U.S. is the Burger King of global obesity at a whopping 33.8% of the population.

The economic and human toll is astronomical. 2.8 million adults die each year from Obesity and weight-related diseases. It accounted for $147 billion in medical costs (or 10% of total spending).

The impact of technological advancement, however, is an average effect. The slender French are only mildly affected by iPhones and Xbox's because they eat much smaller portions (even though they eat a higher proportion of fats).

Over the past 15 years, consumption has been supersized by 150-250 calories a day, and 300 calories in the U.S. Calorie consumption was dramatically more predictive of obesity than information technology investment. Controlling for calories, exercise, and type of consumption (booze, fat, veggies), Milken estimates about a 1.4 percent increase in obesity for every 10 percent increase in the share of the economy invested in ICT.

Exercise as simple as walking can make a big difference in reducing obesity. But, why stop there? Be ambitious. Go for a six-pack and have your whole business join a CrossFit gym. Or, you can just always order the growing line of mainstream Spanx-wear from the comfort of your well-worn chair.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I think 40% is a gross overestimation... more like 15-20%.

prahladh

Respected Member
$ 165bn ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles