American Weapons for China - President Obama Pushes for Sale of C-130s to China

Sri

In a complete reversal of decades of U.S. policy on geopolitics and strategic security, U.S. President Barack Obama has written to the House of Representatives and to the President of the Senate seeking a termination of suspension of Arms Exports to China and to allow the sale of C-130 medium lift transport aircrafts to China. The letter by the President claims that this is in 'American national interest' and is for 'oil spill cleanup' efforts.

Source: American Weapons for China - President Obama Pushes for Sale of C-130s to China | India Defence

SHASH2K2

If this is true then definitely its double game being played by USA.

plugwater

If true Japan and Taiwan would be more pissed than us. Mostly it won't happen.

badguy2000

Respected Member
C130 is in the same league of Y8. USA is ready to sell C130,just because China can produce Y8 itself.....

however, although USA is ready to sell C130,whether CHina is ready to buy it is still in air....

Neil

Country flag
Obama is a crack head he thinks chinese will buy even 6 of these planes...they will ask for 2-3 planes and then reverse engineer it and sell high tech US stuff at cheap prices....

Sri

My concern -- regardless whether China buys the C-130s or not -- is that this should not be a catalyst that allows for other Western arms export to China.

However, before we over react and start spilling anti-U.S. rhetoric, one must not forget that the Russians have got far greater defence trade with the Chicoms.

While we must make note of U.S./Russian exports to China, we mustn't be unrealistic in our expectations in the first place.

S.A.T.A

Since Tienanmen America has been the bulwark behind near total boycott of all defense relation between west and China,this despite stiff attempt by several NATO alliance members like France to break ranks.Even If Obama has written such a letter he will never be able to sell it to the republicans or even the pentagon.........I would be really surprised of the news is found to be credible.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the US is trying to play the same double game with china which it has been playing with india for the last decade.

badguy2000

Respected Member
haha, I don't think CHina will be interested in C130 too much...

Sri

Since Tienanmen America has been the bulwark behind near total boycott of all defense relation between west and China,this despite stiff attempt by several NATO alliance members like France to break ranks.Even If Obama has written such a letter he will never be able to sell it to the republicans or even the pentagon.........I would be really surprised of the news is found to be credible.
Aww.. Don't say that.. India Defence is very credible, especially when we quote WhiteHouse.gov ... ;-)

EagleOne

china may not accept it because it will create porous in their tatctical force

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
"I hereby report to the Congress that it is in the national interest of the United States to terminate the suspensions under section 902(a)(3) of the Act with respect to the issuance of temporary munitions export licenses for exports to the People's Republic of China insofar as such restrictions pertain to the C-130 cargo aircraft to be used in oil spill response operations at sea."
Letter from the President Regarding an Export Waiver for China | The White House

Oil spill opens C-130 export sale to China

By Stephen Trimble on October 10, 2010 6:28 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBacks (0) |

Photo courtesy US Air Force

China may be the next export customer for the Lockheed Martin C-130.

Really.

The White House on Friday posted this letter from President Barack Obama to Rep Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the House of Representatives:

"I hereby report to the Congress that it is in the national interest of the United States to terminate the suspensions under section 902(a)(3) of the Act with respect to the issuance of temporary munitions export licenses for exports to the People's Republic of China insofar as such restrictions pertain to the C-130 cargo aircraft to be used in oil spill response operations at sea."
This is quite an interesting development. There does seem to be a legitimate pretext. C-130s helped spray oil dispersal in the Gulf of Mexico after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in April. China also has been dealing with a much smaller oil spill in the Yellow Sea since July. Meanwhile, the Congressional notification comes a few days before US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates meets his Chinese counterpart in Hanoi.

But it's still surprising to see the US lift a strict embargo on arms sales to China for a C-130. Why? China already owns a fleet of C-130-like Shaanxi Y-8s, a copy of the Antonov An-12. Moreover, China is already building a C-130 look-alike called the Y-9. China also has a long history of re-engineering military and commercial aircraft.

Monday is a bank holiday for the US government, but I hope to start getting answers this week.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2010/10/oil-spill-opens-c-130-export-s.html

nimo_cn

Country flag
My concern -- regardless whether China buys the C-130s or not -- is that this should not be a catalyst that allows for other Western arms export to China.

However, before we over react and start spilling anti-U.S. rhetoric, one must not forget that the Russians have got far greater defence trade with the Chicoms.

While we must make note of U.S./Russian exports to China, we mustn't be unrealistic in our expectations in the first place.
Watch your mouth, if you want a decent discussion, show due respect.

China is not gonna to buy these planes, at least PLA won't. PLA is developing its own cargo plane which is gonna have a similar capability with C-130. Buying those planes for military use will kill the domestic cargo plane project, which i suspect is what US is plotting to do by bringing up this deal.

Therefore, the best scenario is that China may buy some for civil use to please US.

Sri

Watch your mouth, if you want a decent discussion, show due respect.

China is not gonna to buy these planes, at least PLA won't. PLA is developing its own cargo plane which is gonna have a similar capability with C-130. Buying those planes for military use will kill the domestic cargo plane project, which i suspect is what US is plotting to do by bringing up this deal.

Therefore, the best scenario is that China may buy some for civil use to please US.
What's wrong with the word - Chicoms. It is short for Chinese Communists. It's not a racial or ethnic insult of any sort.

You should perhaps do some groundwork before making needless allegations and spoiling the mood of the forum.

-- Back on topic --

I agree with you. China won't be purchasing this in any decent number because of the Shaanxi Y-8 (spellings?) which is pretty much a clone of a clone of the C-130s.

The C-130s itself is a 60 years old technology.

However, this could open the floodgates for other arms sales by the West (U.S.+Europe+Israel) to China and that could be a worry for us in India.

At the same time, we mustn't forget that Russia too has sold high end offensive weaponry to China.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
i think its ploy of us to force india to buy their toys or they would sell this stuff to china

Rahul92

Wow perfect trap earlier it used to be India & pakistan now its china & India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles