Agni V Missile

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Agni 5 Launch 'Best Farewell Gift', Outgoing DRDO Chief Avinash Chander Tells NDTV

WHEELER ISLAND: Speaking from Wheeler Island to NDTV after the successful launch of Agni 5, the outgoing Director General of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Avinash Chander assured the country that the missile was now in a "deliverable configuration".

On his last day in office, he said he was feeling "elated and happy on this accomplishment".

"I am going, leaving behind a dynamic young team that can lead India to greater heights. India will now be autonomous in missile capability," said Dr Chander.

RELATED
Agni 5, India's Longest Range Ballistic Missile, Successfully Test-Fired
Why Rafale Fighter Jet Deal, Crucial for Air Force, is Stalled
US Eyes Important Drone Deal With India for Barack Obama Trip
On a poignant note he said, "This was a great event and I could not have asked for a better farewell gift from my team which has worked hard to make India a missile superpower."

Explaining the technicalities of the launch, Dr Chander, who is also the scientific advisor to the Defence Ministry said, "The missile lifted off 20 metres above the ground from the canister then took a sharp turn towards the target and all the events went off like clockwork. Two ships monitored the event in the Indian Ocean and the terminal event which was validated and it hit within metres of the target."

Dr Chander's contract ends on today - January 31, 2015. He had joined the organisation in 1972.Story First Published: January 31, 2015 12:10 IST

Agni 5 Launch 'Best Farewell Gift', Outgoing DRDO Chief Avinash Chander Tells NDTV

Compersion

Country flag
Good stuff.

Some are saying that the test was also one where we can send satellite into space with a agni 5 launch vehicle since the range was depressed but enough to go into orbit.

Juggad - mutli use (mutuality) :agni::india::cb:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
1. Depressed Trajectory. = Low radar profile = more complex computer logarithm on board = more range options.

Well done.

Next frontiers should be MIRV test, work on cone profile if required for MIRV, decrease weight and height, hoping canister are robust, low maintenance and increasing shelf life manifolds or we can improve more.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I was thinking about the cap of the canister of A5.

So i watched the video again.

It has rubber sheet type stuff for selling the canister.

Look at the screen shots. It shows the expansion of the rubber sheet seal, then the missile cone cut it open and it come up. You can see the rubber sheet still hanging on to the canister.....:wave:

I am loving this video, every time i see it. Find something new.

Still looking for the cold launch motor. It has hidden in exhaust. :namaste:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Was surprised to know that the part of the missile that reaches the final destination is the cone of the missile and not the entire missile. My bad!!! i should have researched better :hail:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Was surprised to know that the part of the missile that reaches the final destination is the cone of the missile and not the entire missile. My bad!!! i should have researched better :hail:
i didnt get you.

I am always interested in systems and subsystems and how tech is used.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
i didnt get you.

I am always interested in systems and subsystems and how tech is used.
It is probably just silly!!! I had always imagined Agni missile to strike the target with the whole structure that we see when launched, probably I imagined that way because of seeing the scud missiles during the first gulf war. Only yesterday I learnt that it is only the cone of the missile that strikes the target not the whole structure. The three stages apparently fall off during the course of the journey to the destination, I didn't take this into account.

Now my kudos to missile designers because they fit the neuclear warhead in just the cone not the whole structure. Again the images I saw as a kid of fatboy is reason for this misconception I had.

prohumanity

Country flag
Fox news is considered the most dumb news channel by educated Americans. Chinese media says that the real range of Agni -5 is not 5000 km. ,it is 7000 kms. . India govt. is under reporting the true range.

Bheeshma

Fox news is considered the most dumb news channel by educated Americans. Chinese media says that the real range of Agni -5 is not 5000 km. ,it is 7000 kms. . India govt. is under reporting the true range.

They said it was 8000 km. A Russian gen said something similar.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles