ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohit b3

Country flag
So wikipedia has put Tejas's ferry range at 1750 kms "With Drop tanks". On being questioned with referance to the Govt Press release, this admin tells me that "A lack of mention of drop tanks does not mean that the range is achieved on internal fuel. Considering that the source is PIB, a Government source, it stands to reason that the best possible range numbers would be published. The best possible range numbers would be achieved only with drop tanks."
So are these Wiki admins allowed to do whatever they feel like? Assume "Drop tanks" where there is no such mention and retort back with such lame assumptions?
According to him, a secondary source like Flight Global is more reliable than the Govt's own source.

I remember that during the trip to Bahrain, Tejas had one leg where it traveled 1800 kms , carry 2 Drop tanks. Does anyone has the link talking about Tejas's journey to Bahrain ? I cant seem to find any anymore.

PS - Factually it is correct. Tejas's range on internal fuel is 1700 kms and to go beyond that a drop tank would be necessary. And hence very cunningly , the figure has been chose as "1750 kms".

Pandeyji

Country flag
So wikipedia has put Tejas's ferry range at 1750 kms "With Drop tanks". On being questioned with referance to the Govt Press release, this admin tells me that "A lack of mention of drop tanks does not mean that the range is achieved on internal fuel. Considering that the source is PIB, a Government source, it stands to reason that the best possible range numbers would be published. The best possible range numbers would be achieved only with drop tanks."
So are these Wiki admins allowed to do whatever they feel like? Assume "Drop tanks" where there is no such mention and retort back with such lame assumptions?
According to him, a secondary source like Flight Global is more reliable than the Govt's own source.

I remember that during the trip to Bahrain, Tejas had one leg where it traveled 1800 kms , carry 2 Drop tanks. Does anyone has the link talking about Tejas's journey to Bahrain ? I cant seem to find any anymore.

PS - Factually it is correct. Tejas's range on internal fuel is 1700 kms and to go beyond that a drop tank would be necessary. And hence very cunningly , the figure has been chose as "1750 kms".
I say to hell with wiki. Considering all that Tejas has gone through it is very minor. Seriously in 2016-17 wiki stated range of Tejas on internal fuel as 450km!!!
So just chill.
Kuch to log kehenge
Logo ka kaam hai...

Pandeyji

Country flag
LSP-7 (KH-2017) Rolling out for a test sortie in night thereby paving way for future night operational clearances..
Is it me or Tejas really looks sinister in this pic:drool::drool:
Infact this is one of the best things about Tejas. At 1 moment it looks so ordinary that a primary student could design it & on another it looks something out of a Sci-fi setting

Reactions: Kay

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
we all are in tension for foc

but in logic
foc at the end of 2018 is good for hal

all ioc versions will be delivered in March 2019(Imho)
so after that foc ... versions

so no hurry for foc

Last edited:

akk

Country flag
we all are in tension for foc

but in logic
foc at the end of 2018 is good for hal

all ioc versions will be delivered in March 2019(Imho)
so after that foc ... versions

so no hurry for foc
I don't think so. Hal chief has on record stated thar Metal cutting for foc versions will begin only after foc. Therefore taking at least 9 months lag, there will be a delay in delivering foc versions if foc is achieved anytime after mid 2018.

akk

Country flag

akk

Country flag
Equally importantly, where are the engines? If ge 404 is to be used, no orders placed beyond original 40 out of which more than 20 have already been used including all versions, maybe close to 30. If kaveri is to be used, it will need modifications and testing.... A few years job easily. GE will need some time even orders are placed now. I think deliveries will stop after ioc versions for an unspecified length of time.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Since we may not be procuring much-hyped single-engine jets anymore(fingers crossed). It makes sense to outsource at least one final assembly line of MK-1A to any in private sector under SP clause. Later using that to speed up production of MK-2 -- whose orders should be in excess of 120-- and also to produce AMCA once it is ready. The private sector needs some hand holding, experience and maturity before it is handed over production of AMCA.
Actually, Tejas production intention is only to create infrastructure and retain expertise. There is no intention of fast tracking Tejas MK1A. HAL has to provide jobs for people who already are engaged in assembly of Su30 and other jets.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

I changed Wiki back to 1700km without adding unnecessary drop tank. Ferry range is ferry range. No need to give extra information

cyclops

Country flag
I changed Wiki back to 1700km without adding unnecessary drop tank. Ferry range is ferry range. No need to give extra information
Maybe they removed it again because I don't see the changes.

I think the ferry range was already discussed in this very thread, but yes, it is very disingenuous of these so called wiki admins.
It feels like a concerted effort by some idiots.

Here, the CEMILAC chart showing Tejas' range as 3000km.
And this is official.

Eitherway, no matter how much haters want it to be otherwise its not going to change the fact that with internal fuel only Tejas' range is 1700km.

Last edited:

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
Maybe they removed it again because I don't see the changes.

I think the ferry range was already discussed in this very thread, but yes, it is very disingenuous of these so called wiki admins.
It feels like a concerted effort by some idiots.

Here, the CEMILAC chart showing Tejas' range as 3000km.
And this is official.

Eitherway, no matter how much haters want it to be otherwise its not going to change the fact that with internal fuel only Tejas' range is 1700km.
Look at the tejas thrust figures LOL 75kn?? And jas 39 gripen 125kn??????

rohit b3

Country flag
Whats diff. Between combat redius and ferry range?
Ferry range is the maximum range an aircraft can cover from Point A to Point B. During Ferry flights, an aircraft cruises at a suitable speed at a suitable altitude, with no weapons payload to get the best possible range. Some sources(Like DRDO) take into consideration the range only on internal fuel ,while some sources(like SAAB) take into account the ferry range with the most number of Drop tanks to get the best numbers possible.

Combat radius is the radius of action where an aircraft takes off with payload for a combat mission, travels to point B, and around, completes the mission and gets back to base(point A). This include combat maneuvers as well.
There are no fixed numbers for combat radius as the numbers keep changing depending on the type of mission. If its a Hi-Hi reconnaissance mission, the aircraft can carry maximum number of external drop tanks and minimum weapons load achieving a higher combat radius.
If its a Low - Low major Bombing mission, the aircraft would carry minimum or no external drop tanks and more weapons/bombs ,further making it heavy and also have a lower combat radius.

Sancho

=>

Bahrain debut for export-ready Tejas fighter
25 JANUARY, 2016

...The first international deployment with the Tejas involved flying 970nm (1,800km) from Bengaluru to Jamnagar, before covering a further 650nm for a second refuelling stop in Muscat, Oman. The final leg was a 430nm transit to the show venue at Sakhir air base, near Manama...
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bahrain-debut-for-export-ready-tejas-fighter-421182/

=>

Air force, DRDO, pleased with Tejas performance at Bahrain
22 Feb 2016

...The IAF detailed one of its giant C-17 Globemaster IIIs to transport the maintenance team and equipment to Bahrain. Two Tejas fighters flew three legs, over three days — the first from Bengaluru to Jamnagar in Gujarat (1,800 km); the second to Muscat (1,200 km), and the final leg to Bahrain (850 km)...
http://wap.business-standard.com/ar...as-performance-at-bahrain-116022200321_1.html

Last edited:

Sancho

rohit b3

Country flag
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles