ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidd

"Flying this mighty machine is pinnacle of fighter flying" thats too much chest thumping. These guys are reading out a script. Not telling out thier mind. Seems so artificial.
I understand apna maal akhir apna hota hai. But why go hyper.
These guys are experienced pilots... They must have flown multiple platforms.. If they are saying Tejas is one of the best to fly.. Then it is... Its our only solution to break import circle...we must order 250+ units to replace migs..

rohit b3

Country flag
"Flying this mighty machine is pinnacle of fighter flying" thats too much chest thumping. These guys are reading out a script. Not telling out thier mind. Seems so artificial.
I understand apna maal akhir apna hota hai. But why go hyper.
When most of the IAF pilots have been flying standard 4th gen fighters with a basic fly by wire system and this cockpit
upload_2017-9-21_13-33-46.jpeg

Mirage2000 cockpit(before upgrade)

or fighters with no Fly by Wire and this cockpit

Mig29 Cockpit (before upgrade)

And finally get a very advanced flying machine with the most advanced Quadruplux Digital Fly by Wire system, and a Full digital Glass cockpit like this and half a generation ahead in technologies :

They seem to be really elated and seem to know what they are talking about.

Why do some Indians always get upset when Indian equipment get some praises that it deserves?

One of the reason I have seen Sweden's Jas Gripen being so popular is they chest thump a lot and market it very well. You would see all over the internet, the Gripen C/D variant often compared to even Eurofighters and Rafales, even though in reality, Gripen is a Light platform like Tejas, while the latter are Medium platforms.

The latest Gripen commercial shows it taking out Russia Su-35s! Height of optimism. Yet i have seen no Swed complaining .

But here in India, an advanced 4.5th generation fighter is getting some praises from their pilots and some people still have a problem.

G10

Country flag
Let me make one thing clear. I dont have a problem people saying LCA is a good aircraft. But i believe in being grounded. I have problem with "pinnacle of fighter flying". When this word is used it means it is the best in the world. Full glass cockpit is one criteria fly by wire is another which makes LCA a good platform but it is not the best in the world. We are comparing with figters we had operated but there are others too.

soikot banerjee

Country flag
Let me make one thing clear. I dont have a problem people saying LCA is a good aircraft. But i believe in being grounded. I have problem with "pinnacle of fighter flying". When this word is used it means it is the best in the world. Full glass cockpit is one criteria fly by wire is another which makes LCA a good platform but it is not the best in the world. We are comparing with figters we had operated but there are others too.[/QUOTE]
Who said best in the world?
The pilots? I Didn't hear him saying so...
For pilots flying age old jaguars,Mig 21/27/29, mirage...It is definately a Pinnacle!

soikot banerjee

Country flag
Let me make one thing clear. I dont have a problem people saying LCA is a good aircraft. But i believe in being grounded. I have problem with "pinnacle of fighter flying". When this word is used it means it is the best in the world. Full glass cockpit is one criteria fly by wire is another which makes LCA a good platform but it is not the best in the world. We are comparing with figters we had operated but there are others too.
For pilots flying age old jaguars,Mig 21/27/29, mirage...It is definately a Pinnacle

Chest thumping a little bit is not being show off but a part of business...that is the only thing these firangis use to promote their normal products saying "star war"like products especially to Indians.

And if a pilot says it is Pinnacle, it is subjective to what they have been made to fly so far!

Kchontha

Country flag
Tejas is homing into foc around mid 2018. Tejas in foc configuration will be able to fire bvraam in guided mode, having in flight refueling capability and fire its gun in flight. In other words foc verson of Tejas will be a true 4 plus gen combat AC, a class of its own. Remember this is only mk1 not mk1a.

pruthvi24

Country flag
For pilots flying age old jaguars,Mig 21/27/29, mirage...It is definately a Pinnacle

Chest thumping a little bit is not being show off but a part of business...that is the only thing these firangis use to promote their normal products saying "star war"like products especially to Indians.

And if a pilot says it is Pinnacle, it is subjective to what they have been made to fly so far!
come on the pilot was not chest thumping at all and i agree with you on the subject of marketing look at Pakis for example and how they market there third gen JF-17 aircraft they compare that jet to rafale and sukhoi 30-mki and as if it is fourth gen aircraft sometimes even f-22 raptor.we are new guys in the block guys that's why there is nothing wrong in some marketing in in fact i would love if they further increase marketing of LCA considering the bad press it attracts both domestic and international platforms

soikot banerjee

Country flag
come on the pilot was not chest thumping at all and i agree with you on the subject of marketing look at Pakis for example and how they market there third gen JF-17 aircraft they compare that jet to rafale and sukhoi 30-mki and as if it is fourth gen aircraft sometimes even f-22 raptor.we are new guys in the block guys that's why there is nothing wrong in some marketing in in fact i would love if they further increase marketing of LCA considering the bad press it attracts both domestic and international platforms
Completely agreed..do add me in the LCA marketing squad if it ever happens!

cannonfodder

Country flag
Does any one has any insider info on progress to reduce weight MK1 --> MK1A? Rest of developments on LCA Tejas are encouraging.

Chinmoy

Country flag
May be...It seems Vivek Raghuvanshi is a famous anti-lca writer ?

But there are recent news that says US based lobbies had written anonymous letter to MoD telling they are not going to share any Major ToT, they are not responsible of any malfunctions and someother.

Factually this again brings the ball in LCA's court, and in terms of foreign fighter in favour of more rafale. This further signifies more work on LCA by france as offsets. US is gonna get pissed off if SE fighter order is reduced/ scrapped keeping in mind even if Gripen is selected, it has a lot of US parts, US is not going to make things easy for Gripen either.

All in all keeping in mind Dwindling squadrons, hiccups in foreign deals, all foreign fighters are on paper now except LCA which has already hit production lines and CCS cleared another one. Whatever these MSM guys says the delays in foreign fighter deals are taking the deal in LCA's court. Hence the badmouthing!
Vivek Raghuvanshi for start is not anti LCA, but he is pro US in all defence deals. Can't blame him thou, he is an employee of defencenews after all.

But there are recent news that says US based lobbies had written anonymous letter to MoD telling they are not going to share any Major ToT, they are not responsible of any malfunctions and someother.
Let us have a look at this point of yours. Component wise Tejas is 75% indigenous. Major foreign parts in it are as

1) Engine : Currently work is in full swing to have Kaveri up and running even if it has to be done with M88 core. Now as per offset agreement France can't deny India on it.

2) Ejection seat and Helmet : Now this is where we are stuck up at the moment IMO. We are still dependent on Martin Baker for that as far as I know.

3) Actuators : The current Moog actuators would be replaced by indigenous actuators under development in VSSC and ISRO. This would be transferred to consortium HAL, MTAR and Godrej.

4) RADAR : Uttam AESA is the future RADAR for LCA.

So you see that dependence on foreign component would eventually come down even for critical parts.

Vijyes

Vivek Raghuvanshi for start is not anti LCA, but he is pro US in all defence deals. Can't blame him thou, he is an employee of defencenews after all.

Let us have a look at this point of yours. Component wise Tejas is 75% indigenous. Major foreign parts in it are as

1) Engine : Currently work is in full swing to have Kaveri up and running even if it has to be done with M88 core. Now as per offset agreement France can't deny India on it.

2) Ejection seat and Helmet : Now this is where we are stuck up at the moment IMO. We are still dependent on Martin Baker for that as far as I know.

3) Actuators : The current Moog actuators would be replaced by indigenous actuators under development in VSSC and ISRO. This would be transferred to consortium HAL, MTAR and Godrej.

4) RADAR : Uttam AESA is the future RADAR for LCA.

So you see that dependence on foreign component would eventually come down even for critical parts.

Why can't we make our ejector seats? Is the technology complex?

Also, I have heard that we have helmet displays being developed. Is that right?

Chinmoy

Country flag
Why can't we make our ejector seats? Is the technology complex?

Also, I have heard that we have helmet displays being developed. Is that right?
Yes............. Ejector seats are quiet complex. It does make use of rocket propellent. So timing is too critical for these. Along with that, they do require a lot of ground testing as well as flight test. So if something like this is available off the self, there is no harm in procuring them on a short term basis. After all a pilot's life does depend on it.

I am not aware of any HMD development in India. May be some other member or @TPFscopes could shed some light on it.

Kchontha

Country flag
Does any one has any insider info on progress to reduce weight MK1 --> MK1A? Rest of developments on LCA Tejas are encouraging.
AFAIK dead weight reducing exercise is part of the tejas mk 1 upgradation to mk1a standard which will be expected to deliver to the IAF by HAL in the year 2018. In this exercise Hal is expected to shed 1000 kg of weight from the existing mk1 airframe. The question is will hal be able to deliver according to promised scheduled.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
hal is busy in achieving the foc ,work is on full swing ,different prototype s are flying with different new components like fuel probe ,derby bvr ,gun

now foc is hals first aim

and again hal prepares itself best before testing of a components

hal is lazy but people may know that we cant handle financial burden if a failure occurs ...

foc will be achived in mid of 2018

hope hal will stand on its words

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
I am not aware of any HMD development in India. May be some other member or @TPFscopes could shed some light on it.
HMDs are jointly developed and manufactured in India by SAMTEL SYSTEMS & THALES, along with this, one more project is also ongoing at DRDO. For a very short duration, I was also the part of HMD system at SAMTEL.

For ejection seat, DRDO has a project which is ongoing from almost 1.5 years. Canopy Severance System is also the part of the ejection seat project and it is already successfully tested and proved itself as fastest of its own kind. I have no duly updated information about the project but will try to grab some info ASAP.
As far as private industry is concerned, there is no joint or individual R&D setup for such systems.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
If TACDE pilots say it is then take it or it should be. Also very few types are scheduled now so cant complain about choice.

tejas warrior

Country flag
Test Flights are truly on full swing.. in just 21 days they have done 38 flights compared to 42 in Aug (highest in a month for 2017).
In 21 days,
LSP3: 5
PV5: 9
LSP4: 4
LSP7: 6 >> GUN
LSP8 : 14 >> IFR

No. of flights successfully completed by LCA - Tejas :

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Kchontha

Country flag
BTW any news on SP5?

Any idea what PV5 is for ?
PV5, the twin seater trainer version of lca tejas, is exclusively reserved for customer evaluation flights with an eye for exporting tejas to friendly countries. Sp5 is currently integrated at the hal's 2nd tejas series production line, it will be in its first flight soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles