ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfPack86

Country flag

DRDO got a breakthrough in Gallium Nitride (GaN). GaN is considered the "holy grail" of semi conductor technology is a highly guarded technology not available for export. Only USA & Europe have it. And now India too. What makes Gallium Nitride special is because its highly efficient, more powerful than silicon chips and highly resistant to heat. GaN is mainly used in radars to highly improve the performance, as well as Electronic Warfare (EW) Systems and Comms (Communication Devices). Its now guaranteed that HAL AMCA will feature a GaN based AESA Radar.
In pic - Gallium Nitride node/ chip in the hand of a DRDO Scientist.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/thegreatindiandefence/photos/?ref=page_internal

abingdonboy

Country flag
We should immediately cancel the order for Israeli AESA and we should choose our own indigenous Uttam on Tejas Mk 1-A. Even though uttam is heavier than its counterpart we should choose it as our indigenous capabilities would improve and most of all we would get bragging rights.
Don't cancel anything, imported AESA are coming to ensure MK.1A is not delayed,Uttam won't be ready before 2019 (when Mk.1A is to be in production). Surely later batches of the Mk.1A can/will have the Uttam though, it is a pretty simple plug and play option.

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
Don't cancel anything, imported AESA are coming to ensure MK.1A is not delayed,Uttam won't be ready before 2019 (when Mk.1A is to be in production). Surely later batches of the Mk.1A can/will have the Uttam though, it is a pretty simple plug and play option.
From Idrw
It said that Uttam aesa is ready.

vayuu1

Country flag
Any news on IRST technology

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

vayuu1

Country flag
Any progress in the field of Irst technology

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Prashant12

Country flag
Tejas FOC points on the verge of completion: ADA Chief

Bengaluru: Cmde Cadaba Devnath Balaji (Retd), the Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), who is all set to hang up his boots on March 31 said that all pending test points towards achieving Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of Tejas were on the verge of completion.

Speaking to Mathrubhumi, Cmde Balaji (Retd) said the aircraft build standard to FOC configuration is available and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will proceed to build the next 20, after completing first Series Production platforms (20).

“The flight testing of Tejas with air-to-air-refuelling probe is in progress. The performance evaluation of radar has been encouraging. The air-to-ground weapon work has been largely completed. Accuracy improvements in terms of software update is currently on,” Cmde Balaji (Retd) said.

He said the firing of Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile with radar is being planned shortly, while the gun firing is now fixed for the second quarter of 2017. He added that the aircraft envelope clearance for Squadron service has been progressively released, even for first set of 20 aircraft.

Giving an update on Tejas Mk2, Cmde Balaji (Retd) the aircraft will be configured for a higher thrust engine, AESA Radar, internal EW suite, OBOGS, larger internal fuel capacity, larger payload capability and better performance.

Navy rejecting NLCA hurtful

On LCA Navy Mk2, he said the concept design for an optimised deck-based aircraft, has been completed and detail design is in progress.

ALSO READ: ADA Chief to teach underprivileged kids, bat for unsung heroes after retirement

When asked about any regrets he had as he prepares to hand over the baton of ADA, Cmde Balaji (Retd) said: “While significant lead up activities towards arrested recovery has been done (NLCA), the actual arrested recovery is yet to take place. I would have liked to have seen it happen in my tenure, but got delayed due to a few failures of aggregates. Further, the apparent rejection by the Indian Navy is hurtful.”

He said while the Navy has operated carrier borne aircraft for decades, it is the first time to develop our own aircraft.

SBTF an asset to watch for the future

“From personal experience I can confidently say that operating a carrier borne aircraft gives one level of knowledge, but developing it from scratch is an entirely different ball game. LCA Navy Mk1 has provided a stepping stone for developing an optimised version specifically designed for Deck based operation in terms of LCA Navy Mk2. This will provide a design and capability that the Navy may be able to consider favourably for exploitation. In addition, this will provide the necessary skills and capabilities for the development of twin-engined, 5th generation deck-based aircraft,” he elaborated.

ALSO READ: Hunt on for next ADA boss with Tejas FOC at striking distance

Cmde Balaji (Retd) said the Shore Based Test Facility (SBTF) at Goa will be an asset to watch for the future.

“This facility has been built keeping the requirements of a medium weight category aircraft to operate. Navy has been using this facility extensively for pilot training of MiG 29K, prior to operating on INS Vikramaditya,” he added.

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...aji-aeronautical-development-agency-1.1832969

tejas warrior

Country flag
As I had mentioned earlier, updates from LCA-Tejas FB page:

Current bottelneck in assembly line is Equipping stage where it is taking 45+days.

Good news is, now HAL is doing it 2 in parallel.

As they have already outsourced fuselage assembly, things will start moving fast in some time when private companies start delivering.

With 3rd line coming, expect production rate 16+ for sure.

Screenshot_20170331-091120.png
Screenshot_20170331-091051.png

captscooby81

Country flag
Just forgive my ignorance if this was asked before .. But don t you think 8 ACs are year is not way to low for a country which is trying to project itself as one of the super powers and also trying to indigenous its Aircrafts ..How much can HAL outsource to private players to speed up the production or delivery rate .. What will be the challenges to produce lets say 40 Tejas an year ???? Just wanted to know from someone who has more enlightenment about the Tejas program ..

As I had mentioned earlier, updates from LCA-Tejas FB page:

With 3rd line coming, expect production rate 16+ for sure.

Flame Thrower

Just forgive my ignorance if this was asked before .. But don t you think 8 ACs are year is not way to low for a country which is trying to project itself as one of the super powers and also trying to indigenous its Aircrafts ..How much can HAL outsource to private players to speed up the production or delivery rate .. What will be the challenges to produce lets say 40 Tejas an year ???? Just wanted to know from someone who has more enlightenment about the Tejas program ..
IAF has ordered 123 LCAs only....

Production depends on the no of aircrafts on order......

Same HAL produces over 30 Dhruvs/ yr(increased to 36 but not sure)... Do you know the reason.... Over 600 Dhruvs(all variants) on order and 231 built as of Feb 2017...

A quick qn....

Let's say HAL decides to produce 40 LCA a year...In 3 yrs order is fulfilled... Then what!!??

Close the factory.....

When HAL start production and delivering AC...

IAF also starts training pilots at the same pace...

When you ask for 40 LCA/yr...How do you plan to get 40 pilots... Don't think of retiring MiG's it is more complicated than you can understand...

It is not that HAL produces ACs and they rust in the IAF bunkers...

HAL production, IAF upgrading infra and pilot training goes hand in hand...

Few folks come up with stupid logics that why can't we simply throw all the MIGs and use its resources on LCA..

It is not as simple as someone thinks...

Sure LCA might use same weapons and might be able to use same hangers...But there it ends ....

What about stocking up spares...

What about training technicians

What about pilot transition (it is not as easy of changing your bikes "Hero Passion" to "Bajaj Pulsar")

Things are going as per plan WRT to LCA production, setting up Training facilities and FOC(not sure of FOC part, but hope it goes as per plan)

By the time of FOC, production facilities will come online and they'll be able to produce 19 (8+8+3) LCAs a year.

Last edited:

captscooby81

Country flag
Thanks for the info .. Was not aware how the IAF s pilot training programs run s ..

Well just because IAF ordered 123 ACs you don t take 10 years to deliver it.A Typical sarkari naukri attitude this is jitna lamba keechenge utna apna naukri bachega .. If you deliver 40 ACs in 3 years then you don t shut shop brother , You move to the next level Tejas Navy or MK2 or even the AMCA very few in the defence establishments who think to challenge themselves with the next task instead of being happy with the current one they do..

By the way my brother in law used to work with our so called On time delivery HVF in Arjun MBT I production and later part he worked with another project too in the Defence manufacturing..he expressed the same feeling .. drag the job as long as you want and don t push much into unknown territories save your job and get retired ..

Regarding the pilot training and transition less said is better . This is where you need to provide them a perfect infrastructure in providing IJT , AJT and then moving to the MIGs and other Jets .. Not like giving them training in Kiran and then move straight to Mig 21s and then we know what happened with so many lives lost ..

All i wanted to know was what will be our maximum production level for Tejas with HAL .. i didnt criticise the product neither i am blaming the production .. All i wanted to know was are we having a vision and then does our current mission is in line with that vision..

IAF has ordered 123 LCAs only....

Production depends on the no of aircrafts on order......

Same HAL produces over 30 Dhruvs/ yr(increased to 36 but not sure)... Do you know the reason.... Over 600 Dhruvs(all variants) on order and 231 built as of Feb 2017...

A quick qn....

Let's say HAL decides to produce 40 LCA a year...In 3 yrs order is fulfilled... Then what!!??

Close the factory.....

When HAL start production and delivering AC...

IAF also starts training pilots at the same pace...

When you ask for 40 LCA/yr...How do you plan to get 40 pilots... Don't think of retiring MiG's it is more complicated than you can understand...

It is not that HAL produces ACs and they rust in the IAF bunkers...

HAL production, IAF upgrading infra and pilot training goes hand in hand...

Few folks come up with stupid logics that why can't we simply throw all the MIGs and use its resources on LCA..

It is not as simple as someone thinks...

Sure LCA might use same weapons and might be able to use same hangers...But there it ends ....

What about stocking up spares...

What about training technicians

What about pilot transition (it is not as easy of changing your bikes "Hero Passion" to "Bajaj Pulsar")

Things are going as per plan WRT to LCA production, setting up Training facilities and FOC(not sure of FOC part, but hope it goes as per plan)

By the time of FOC, production facilities will come online and they'll be able to produce 19 (8+8+3) LCAs a year.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
HAL and IAF both got medicine in tenure of former RM, It is believed that at best they can make 25 per year with help of Pvt players specially TATA at best in near future ..

By the way my brother in law used to work with our so called On time delivery HVF in Arjun MBT I production and later part he worked with another project too in the Defence manufacturing..he expressed the same feeling .. drag the job as long as you want and don t push much into unknown territories save your job and get retired ..
All i wanted to know was what will be our maximum production level for Tejas with HAL .. i didnt criticise the product neither i am blaming the production .. All i wanted to know was are we having a vision and then does our current mission is in line with that vision..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Important points : “The flight testing of Tejas with air-to-air-refuelling probe is in progress. The performance evaluation of radar has been encouraging. The air-to-ground weapon work has been largely completed. Accuracy improvements in terms of software update is currently on,” Cmde Balaji (Retd) said.

He said the firing of Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile with radar is being planned shortly, while the gun firing is now fixed for the second quarter of 2017. He added that the aircraft envelope clearance for Squadron service has been progressively released, even for first set of 20 aircraft.

Giving an update on Tejas Mk2, Cmde Balaji (Retd) the aircraft will be configured for a higher thrust engine, AESA Radar, internal EW suite, OBOGS, larger internal fuel capacity, larger payload capability and better performance.

Tejas FOC points on the verge of completion: ADA Chief

Bengaluru: Cmde Cadaba Devnath Balaji (Retd), the Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), who is all set to hang up his boots on March 31 said that all pending test points towards achieving Final Operational Clearance (FOC) of Tejas were on the verge of completion.

Speaking to Mathrubhumi, Cmde Balaji (Retd) said the aircraft build standard to FOC configuration is available and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will proceed to build the next 20, after completing first Series Production platforms (20).

“The flight testing of Tejas with air-to-air-refuelling probe is in progress. The performance evaluation of radar has been encouraging. The air-to-ground weapon work has been largely completed. Accuracy improvements in terms of software update is currently on,” Cmde Balaji (Retd) said.

Navy rejecting NLCA hurtful

On LCA Navy Mk2, he said the concept design for an optimised deck-based aircraft, has been completed and detail design is in progress.

ALSO READ: ADA Chief to teach underprivileged kids, bat for unsung heroes after retirement

When asked about any regrets he had as he prepares to hand over the baton of ADA, Cmde Balaji (Retd) said: “While significant lead up activities towards arrested recovery has been done (NLCA), the actual arrested recovery is yet to take place. I would have liked to have seen it happen in my tenure, but got delayed due to a few failures of aggregates. Further, the apparent rejection by the Indian Navy is hurtful.”

He said while the Navy has operated carrier borne aircraft for decades, it is the first time to develop our own aircraft.

SBTF an asset to watch for the future

“From personal experience I can confidently say that operating a carrier borne aircraft gives one level of knowledge, but developing it from scratch is an entirely different ball game. LCA Navy Mk1 has provided a stepping stone for developing an optimised version specifically designed for Deck based operation in terms of LCA Navy Mk2. This will provide a design and capability that the Navy may be able to consider favourably for exploitation. In addition, this will provide the necessary skills and capabilities for the development of twin-engined, 5th generation deck-based aircraft,” he elaborated.

ALSO READ: Hunt on for next ADA boss with Tejas FOC at striking distance

Cmde Balaji (Retd) said the Shore Based Test Facility (SBTF) at Goa will be an asset to watch for the future.

“This facility has been built keeping the requirements of a medium weight category aircraft to operate. Navy has been using this facility extensively for pilot training of MiG 29K, prior to operating on INS Vikramaditya,” he added.

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...aji-aeronautical-development-agency-1.1832969

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles