ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmoy

Country flag
HAL better get things straight, Either they stick to what they have given their words or give TATA a chance to make a new assembly line for specifically Tejas ..
But the question remains, would TATA agree to open it up for such a small number?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Those in IAF who likes Gripen for the reason that it will help Tejas program should be asked as for how SAAB gonna help us develop an engine for AMCA which is to become future of IAF?

You can fly AMCA with less an advanced AESA or non-GaN based AESA but can you fly it without an engine?

The choice should be simple. We by F-16, get another production line, expand vendor base, create infrastructure and when LCA MK-2 is ready to produce, use the facility created. Around 2024, NLCA MK-2 won't be any less than Gripen E and rate of production will be good enough to fill the IAF squadron quickly. Besides fulfilling the export orders ( i believe will be substantial) can be realised simultaneously.

Also if we by F-16 over Gripen E then we will not only get technological superiority over PAF F-16s and PLAAF's J-10Bs but also gain a psychological advantage as we would be producing for supporting every F-16 flying, including those of PAF.......PAF might very well forget its fleet of F-16s, TAI can only support it so far. And BTW block 70 will eat block 52 for breakfast without a burp. With only JF-17 Bandar left, what could PAF field against IAF until Chacha Cheen helps it by donating some J-30s ?

IndianHawk

Country flag
At this point I am hoping that USA should do what is does best that is sabotage the Saab bid.

This whole circus should be a lesson as to how you're played when you don't have indigenous options.:doh:

tejas warrior

Country flag
The whole media is running after a letter, IAF official have not put any requirement ..

This letter can be just a measure to make sure HAL get on work ..
Nope, it's not only one letter.

Raha was publicly giving details on IAF's plan on future inductions and F16 & Gripen were options as per him. Mr. Parrikar has been giving hint on same.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The talk about another single engine fighter is very old, Said by no other but RM itself given HAL do their homework, This was nothing new..

Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha, described as “unsolicited offers” for building single-engine fighters in India, These are the offers made by foreign companies, Not selected by IAF or anything that sort or even a mear word regarding this matter via official portal.

Nope, it's not only one letter.

Raha was publicly giving details on IAF's plan on future inductions and F16 & Gripen were options as per him. Mr. Parrikar has been giving hint on same.

cannonfodder

Country flag
@Rahul Singh

http://aviationweek.com/technology/innovation-laureate-raytheon-and-saab-gan-galvanizers
The Swedish company does not have a GaN foundry, but instead has the commercial industry produce its integrated-circuit designs.
This is simply marketing strategy that Saab will give some ToT on GaN IC fabrication which it does not have. India can have those commercial foundries produce same IC's with help of US (thanks to china). Also you can go through below link on Saab PR.
https://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7112&start=3480

I hope Kunal Sir is right and GOI is just evaluating the situation. If Gripen is selected we should be realistic on what ToT or help it can offer. Currently it does not have either AC engine tech nor GaN fabrication tech. In essence, we will be just paying for Gripen E and setting up industry in India with some help in Tejas/AMCA(same can be done using Tejas by putting in concrete orders).

This info may be bit off topic but important as LCA program will be in jeopardy if foreign single fighter is selected.

Narasimh

Country flag
The Army also has now opened its own Design Bureau. Navy opened it some decades back. Where is the IAF on this? Why is Govt and IAF not bringing ADA, NAL,HAL under one consortium for providing every aerospace solution the country needs..

the so called "Defense Analysts" have been writing many articles making a case for saab gripen or LM F-35s and F-16s. many lobbies are at play to make us buy their stuff and I am sure we are not going to get any TOT.

But we also need to realize that we have not been able to achieve success in many of the key projects like engine and radar. High end electronics, manufacturing technology and material science is something that Indian industry eco-system needs to achieve "sate of art" status.

dude00720

Country flag
Been checking Reports Pre-2014 and Post-2014. It is fair to say Tejas was buried in Pre-2014 Era. That seems to have changed in Post-2014 period. So, obviously, Parrikar Understands Tech unlike Antony and he has used that to push the slack in HAL away with regard to Tejas. But, Older relics from IAF are not happy, since, he questions them a lot more .

Above observations apart, this Govt seems serious about Indian defence, it could be HAL, or, it could be an F-16 line. I think they will prefer indigenous stuff, seeing Tejas' progress in last 2 years.

Taking all the stuff above together, I would say, this new MRCA reports in media has many aspects.
If Govt put it out, then, they want to get competitors to present better terms against each Other i.e Lockheed for F-16 line or, Saab for Gripen. Cutting down of rafale Number to 36 seems to be linked to the same idea. Keeping the window open for external Buys.

Now, question is, will this induce HAL to work faster is another story. Too many players here, and each with their own lobbies.

But, One thing cant be disputed. The current govt wants Tejas to pick up. but, is not putting all it;s eggs in one basket.

Interestingly, no wants to say this, but, if UPA was completely against indigenisation, should we smell another potential scam here?

I'm a newbie who is a technologist, but, I understand business quite well since, I run an AI startup. In some circles, you may call me a Geek . Please feel free to criticise me, if the above assesment is naive and inccurate. very open to learning. Want to help my country , however I can.

akk

Country flag
Been checking Reports Pre-2014 and Post-2014. It is fair to say Tejas was buried in Pre-2014 Era. That seems to have changed in Post-2014 period. So, obviously, Parrikar Understands Tech unlike Antony and he has used that to push the slack in HAL away with regard to Tejas. But, Older relics from IAF are not happy, since, he questions them a lot more .

Above observations apart, this Govt seems serious about Indian defence, it could be HAL, or, it could be an F-16 line. I think they will prefer indigenous stuff, seeing Tejas' progress in last 2 years.

Taking all the stuff above together, I would say, this new MRCA reports in media has many aspects.
If Govt put it out, then, they want to get competitors to present better terms against each Other i.e Lockheed for F-16 line or, Saab for Gripen. Cutting down of rafale Number to 36 seems to be linked to the same idea. Keeping the window open for external Buys.

Now, question is, will this induce HAL to work faster is another story. Too many players here, and each with their own lobbies.

But, One thing cant be disputed. The current govt wants Tejas to pick up. but, is not putting all it;s eggs in one basket.

Interestingly, no wants to say this, but, if UPA was completely against indigenisation, should we smell another potential scam here?

I'm a newbie who is a technologist, but, I understand business quite well since, I run an AI startup. In some circles, you may call me a Geek . Please feel free to criticise me, if the above assesment is naive and inccurate. very open to learning. Want to help my country , however I can.
I agree with this analysis.
I think tejas is still an unproven platform and mk1a is not even developed. At this stage it will be difficult to confirm more numbers. It will be inducted and take several years of tweaking to be a valuable platform.
In the meanwhile the iaf is desperate for up gradation of obsolete fleet and quickly need to induct proven platforms. In that sense, both f16 and gripe look fine. I prefer f16, mainly because it will give more business to joint venture. However the terms must be good, meaning that GOI shold have control over strategic decisions.
I do not think it will be helpful from dngine point oc view sind f16 engine, ge110 is different from tehas and amca.
The best deal maybe.....If they associate with gripe on one hand and ge on othr hand to give 404 and 414epe to india....will solve all problems for forseeable future. Can modi pull it off?

akk

Country flag
I agree with this analysis.
I think tejas is still an unproven platform and mk1a is not even developed. At this stage it will be difficult to confirm more numbers. It will be inducted and take several years of tweaking to be a valuable platform.
In the meanwhile the iaf is desperate for up gradation of obsolete fleet and quickly need to induct proven platforms. In that sense, both f16 and gripe look fine. I prefer f16, mainly because it will give more business to joint venture. However the terms must be good, meaning that GOI shold have control over strategic decisions.
I do not think it will be helpful from dngine point oc view sind f16 engine, ge110 is different from tehas and amca.
The best deal maybe.....If they associate with gripe on one hand and ge on othr hand to give 404 and 414epe to india....will solve all problems for forseeable future. Can modi pull it off?
Sorry for typo errors.........................

WolfPack86

Country flag
LCA-Tejas FOC Deadline Further Delayed To Middle Of 2017

Status of LCA Tejas
Commodore CD Balaji, Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) said that the final operational clearance (FOC) for the indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft – Tejas – that was recently inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF), is expected to get further delayed to the middle of 2017.
Commodore CD Balaji told The Sunday Express on the sidelines of a symposium on “Technologies in Defence and Internal Security” organized by the Indian Institute of Technology-Gandhinagar (IIT-Gn) on Saturday.
“The LCA has completed about 3270 flight tests…. We are expecting to receive the final operational clearances by the middle of next year,” he said.
Squadron Strength
All squadrons of Tejas will be made up of 20 planes in total, including four in reserve. As per the plan, while 20 would be inducted under the "Initial Operational Clearance", another 20 will be inducted later with Beyond Visual Range Missile (BVR) and other critical features. The IAF plans to induct over 80 aircraft with better specifications.
The upgraded version of Tejas, with Active Electrically Scanned Array Radar, Unified Electronic Warfare Suite, mid-air refueling capacity and advanced beyond the vision range missiles, will cost between Rs 275 crore and Rs 300 crore. While the idea to have an indigenous fighter aircraft was conceptualized in the 1970s, the actual work started only in the 90s and the first flight took place in January 2001.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/10/lca-tejas-foc-deadline-further-delayed.html

India to push back FOC Deadline for LCA-Tejas again

Reliable well-informed sources close to idrw.org have confirmed that indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft, Tejas’s Final Operational Clearance (FOC) might be further delayed and might be pushed back to the middle of next year . FOC was expected by mid-2016 for Tejas, later which was shifted to year end or and later pushed back to Q4 for fiscal 2016-17 but now it might be pushed back to Q2 fiscal in 2017-18 . Integration of Air-to- Air Refuelling probe with LCA Tejas and its trials are still due and delays in their deliveries from Cobham U.K , further pushed FOC. HAL has begun testing new designed quartz radome but Further, radar testing needs to be carried out before new radome can replace older ones . A further test of Israeli origin Beyond-Visual- Range Air-to- Air Missile (BVRAAM) Derby missile needs to be carried out along with test firing of fifth generation Air- to-Air Close Combat Missile, Python 5 which still are pending. Tejas had earlier successfully test fired the BVRAAM Derby missile. Commodore CD Balaji, director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) said that the final operational clearance (FOC) confirmed the development .
http://idrw.org/india-push-backs-foc-for-lca-tejas-again/

LCA TEJAS FOC DEADLINE FURTHER DELAYED TO MIDDLE OF 2017

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
LCA-Tejas FOC Deadline Further Delayed To Middle Of 2017

Status of LCA Tejas
Commodore CD Balaji, Director of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) said that the final operational clearance (FOC) for the indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft – Tejas – that was recently inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF), is expected to get further delayed to the middle of 2017.
Commodore CD Balaji told The Sunday Express on the sidelines of a symposium on “Technologies in Defence and Internal Security” organized by the Indian Institute of Technology-Gandhinagar (IIT-Gn) on Saturday.
“The LCA has completed about 3270 flight tests…. We are expecting to receive the final operational clearances by the middle of next year,” he said.
Squadron Strength
All squadrons of Tejas will be made up of 20 planes in total, including four in reserve. As per the plan, while 20 would be inducted under the "Initial Operational Clearance", another 20 will be inducted later with Beyond Visual Range Missile (BVR) and other critical features. The IAF plans to induct over 80 aircraft with better specifications.
The upgraded version of Tejas, with Active Electrically Scanned Array Radar, Unified Electronic Warfare Suite, mid-air refueling capacity and advanced beyond the vision range missiles, will cost between Rs 275 crore and Rs 300 crore. While the idea to have an indigenous fighter aircraft was conceptualized in the 1970s, the actual work started only in the 90s and the first flight took place in January 2001.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/10/lca-tejas-foc-deadline-further-delayed.html
Mashallah............................. .. . ........

Prashant12

Country flag
KH-2017 is taking off with Python-5 missiles for a test flight.

The Python-5 from Rafael Advanced Defence Systems is a fifth generation air-to-air missile designed to engage very short range and near beyond visual range targets. It is the newest member of the Python missile range and one of the most advanced AAMs in the world.

The Python-5 has high resistance against countermeasures and can be deployed on a wide range of aircraft such as F-15, F-16, Mirage, Saab Gripen and Su-30MKI. The missile is equipped with a new dual waveband Focal Plane Array (FPA) imaging seeker, inertial navigation system and advanced Infrared Counter-Counter-Measures (IRCCM).

The Python-5 can be launched from a very short to beyond visual ranges in Lock-On-Before Launch (LOBL) and Lock-On-After Launch modes with full sphere launch capability. The solid fuel rocket motor and warhead ensure a high probability of success.

The engineering challenge has been enormous in integrating this missile onto Tejas both from the OEM as well as stores management system integrator at ADA.

https://www.facebook.com/tejas.lca

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their are complains of copyright violation, For use of image URL directly from sites ( Facebook & blogs are exception ) , Use imgur or image-shake for posting photos here at DFI or best don`t post them at all.

Follow proper procedure for posting news article, Quote a single statement from the article and provide source below it, News of similar sort don't require separate posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles