ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

wuzetian

Some times I feel that Tejas Aircraft is treated like a step child. See the concessions we gave to russians to supply us SU-30 which was later replaced with SU-30MKI see the Bofors Gun which did not function in the initial field trial but be believed that Sweeden would make better gun and purchased it. How we treated Vikramaditya aircraft carrier's contract? What did we do for tejas? Went for MMRCA ? The problem is that there are some Air Martial Tyagi(Retd. & arrested) like officers who are more zealous to kill Indian projects and promote some foreign system, offcourse there are some Gaddar politicians who want it. But result is sadly like Marut.

when I read http://idrw.org/both-hal-rudra-and-light-combat-helicopters-are-toothless-indian-army-chief-rawat/ my heart saddens and I wonder if LCH may become a mis-carriage or aborted project. Tejas was once at such a stage but luckyly it survived....
As long as Parrikar is defence minister the indigenous projects will be saved. If Congress comes to power then all is lost .

Pandora

Country flag
Thats it?? is 5 T of payload including Internal fuel. if No,then what is the payload of Gripen E .These ADA wale sudherenenge nahi , atleast they should compete with Gripen E.

singh100ful

Country flag

3:12 Commodore CD Balaji, Director:
We are moving the wing outwards by about 350 mm on either side (1.14ft on either side?)

We are stretching the fuselage by about 1 meter (it helps in creating space between fuselage and wing, where the landing gear can be easily retracted. We have a simpler lighter landing gear that can go in).

We are freeing up center fuselage space and allows extra fuel (700 kgs)

how much that change the performance in lca mk2 /nlca mk2 wit ge f414 higher thrust engine
It will be helpful in increasing the payload capacity and adding some new hard points on the fuselage as it is the case with Gripen E.
As per the performance concerns we will need to wait to see the empty weight of the aircraft.

singh100ful

Country flag
Some times I feel that Tejas Aircraft is treated like a step child. See the concessions we gave to russians to supply us SU-30 which was later replaced with SU-30MKI see the Bofors Gun which did not function in the initial field trial but be believed that Sweeden would make better gun and purchased it. How we treated Vikramaditya aircraft carrier's contract? What did we do for tejas? Went for MMRCA ? The problem is that there are some Air Martial Tyagi(Retd. & arrested) like officers who are more zealous to kill Indian projects and promote some foreign system, offcourse there are some Gaddar politicians who want it. But result is sadly like Marut.

when I read http://idrw.org/both-hal-rudra-and-light-combat-helicopters-are-toothless-indian-army-chief-rawat/ my heart saddens and I wonder if LCH may become a mis-carriage or aborted project. Tejas was once at such a stage but luckyly it survived....
it is not just some politician or retired officials every one is hand in glove.
now the government is all set to divest this dpsu's and this dpsu's are really frightened to lose their monopoly some employee union are even planning to go on strike if government goes ahead with the decision.

tejas warrior

Country flag
Tejas MK-2 (Air force version) will be 0.5 metre longer, will be able to carry a payload of up to 5 tons with MTOW of 16.5 tons.

upload_2017-2-22_13-28-19.png

mayfair

Thats it?? is 5 T of payload including Internal fuel. if No,then what is the payload of Gripen E .These ADA wale sudherenenge nahi , atleast they should compete with Gripen E.
Gripen E MTOW as per their website will be 16500 KG, same as Tejas MK2. Of course MK2 will be powered by F414, so we should see some increases as well.

rohit b3

Country flag
5 tons is without internal fuel.

singh100ful

Country flag
the classification of weight in aircraft is of 3 types.
Empty weight: weight of aircraft without fuel
Loaded weight: With only internal fuel
Max take off weight: With full payload based on the role.
so the payload of the aircraft is determined by MTOW minus Loaded weight.

tsunami

Country flag
the classification of weight in aircraft is of 3 types.
Empty weight: weight of aircraft without fuel
Loaded weight: With only internal fuel
Max take off weight: With full payload based on the role.
so the payload of the aircraft is determined by MTOW minus Loaded weight.

I am not sure but loaded weight is excluding external weapons. Including pilot and etc.

mayfair

https://bharatkarnad.com/2017/02/17/the-tragedy-of-tejas/

I want to know if Bharat Karnad is a Russian biased guy or not. allmost all of his post seem a little too pro russian to me. is it really so ? if not he makes me really nervous.
Can some senior member shed some light on it ?
Karnad is knowledgeable and reputed on defence and strategic affairs. He tends to take a hardline approach on many matters and they often move into the realms of impracticability.

He makes good point here, but fails to point out that the 20 Tejas on order are for the initial version Mk1 and the rest are for Mk1a for a total of 120.

He rants about screwdrivergiri but fails to point out that we have been doing pretty much the same for Russian products as well and the after sales support and service has been horrendous to say the least. While talking about MIrages, he fails to mention how IAF pilots certified Mig-21 for service with 6 hours of flying and when these aircraft first arrived, the did not even have canon guns! He fails to point out how Soviets offered us Mig-29 to stunt the Mirage 2000 deal and the extremely low serviceability of these aircraft.

He fails to mention the large number of indigenous Helicopters in service with the services.

He rightly points out government apathy and import lobby that is out to stymie indigenous products, but surprisingly chooses to leave out Russian and Soviet influence on this- for instance he points out Hawk saving British Aerospace, but not Su-30MKI and Mig-29K saving Sukhoi and MiG corporations.

Regarding the LCA project, let us look at the Naval LCA. It's widely acknowledged that Navy is most desi friendly of all services, they have a stellar record on indigenisation. Heck, we have ex-Navy Cmde Balaji heading the ADA, so it's clear how much importance navy attaches to LCA project. But they realised that naval LCA was just not upto it, it simply does not work, because it was not a fighter built from ground up, but a modification of the existing programme. Naval chief came out strongly against NLCA, but also pointed out that Navy will continue their commitment to the LCA programme and Naval LCAMK2 has their full support. ADA and HAL have acknowledged the deficiencies in NLCA and reiterated that it will continue to develop as a technology demonstrator.

Karnad makes valid points, but his own biases and myopia prevent him from being nuanced.

sonumalik

Thanks mayfair. But i want to know why we cant induct more LCAs MKI and MK-IIs especially when india wants gripen and LM to establish their assembly lines here first which will result into a time loss of 4-5 years and a couple billions of dollers. I suppose if we invest that much money and those valuable 4 5 years into LCA it can give us a on par/better platform than gripen and f16. There will be much better servicing and availability rate. Private sectors shall be involved into setting up an assembly line and outsourcing some work to them will eventually churning out 30-35 LCAs per year which will fill in the gaps of retiring MIG 21s and 27s. if they want to buy f16s or gripen then buy directly why lose money and time over those assembly line setups. ?

mayfair

@sonumalik I agree with the points you have raised. There have been much discussion on these matters here and over at BRF. We need more Tejas MK1As immediately, till MK2 comes on line, which is still a few years away. Tejas MK2 is still in design stage and not expected to be ready for at least another 2 years. Mk1 is not yet a combat ready system and to be fair to the IAF, more of a transitory platform to ease in Mk1a and Mk2. It is to the credit of the PM and the Raksha mantri that he cracked the whip on IAF, if you want fancy toys, you must induct Tejas and work with it.

We also need to address the falling squadron numbers in IAF and our problem is that we are always chasing after solutions after the problems have manifested, instead of being prepared for them. The Make in India fighter programme is one such thing.

Induction of Tejas is a start and needs to be carefully nurtured.

Vijyes

India needs 3 types of planes-
Light - tejas type
Medium - AMCA, Rafale, F16 etc
Heavy - PAK-FA type
At present India can't produce indigenous engines due to which neither LCA nor AMCA can be produced indigenously. The main problem are the third gen SCB and compressor stage components which require complicated technology. To get these technologies transferred, India has made a deal with France in return for Rafale orders. Now, Parrikar has set deadlines of early 2018 for delivering the engine to France. If they do that, then according to me, more of rafales will be ordered. I don't think F16 etc will be ordered in that case. These F16 etc are just parallel negotiation initiated in case France fails to come out with the technology transfer.

IMO, once kaveri engine is done, India will only look to order LCA Mk2 and AMCA in large quantities. Only the heavy class planes will be imported, that too in small numbers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles