ABSENCE OF LEVEL PLAYING FIELD: T90 Vs Arjun: CAG report

Voldemort

Country flag
It will become around US $ 260 million. still quite cheap. As per Wiki the 2007 cost was US$5.7 million a piece.
They are used, not new.
yle.fi/uutiset/finland_in_200_million-euro_used_tank_deal_with_the_netherlands/7035576

jouni

They are used, not new.
yle.fi/uutiset/finland_in_200_million-euro_used_tank_deal_with_the_netherlands/7035576
We bought them used. 140 2A4's from Germany and 100 2A6's from Netherlands. Most have been mothballed only some are actually used. It is funny next year we will have 240 Leos and Germany 260.

We have never been naiive, our main task is to have strong enough Army to make Russia think twice. So far it has been successful for the past 70 years.

Last edited:

sgarg

We bought them used. 140 2A4's from Germany and 100 2A6's from Netherlands. Most have been mothballed only some are actually used. It is funny next year we will have 240 Leos and Germany 260.

We have never been naiive, our main task is to have strong enough Army to make Russia think twice. So far it has been successful for the past 70 years.
Indians always want to buy new stuff. It is a cultural issue I think. Used stuff make too much stink in India.

If the latest modern tanks are available at Arjun's price, then that is the way to go for sure. However I doubt that is the case as India is paying very high prices for imports.

rohit b3

Country flag
I have difficulties in understanding your "indigenous" weapon programs. Both Arjun and Tejas. Why base your own tank on something which in the first place is not the best? Those t-tanks can cope against other t-tanks only. They are no match for the best tanks of the world.

And Tejas? All that energy and money to something based on the sixties design? If I was Indian defense minister, I would have developed own tank based on Leopard2, produced fewer of them and used the rest of the money on modern anti tank weapons, like NLAWs or similar.

Instead of Tejas, I would have formed joint company with swedes and developed Gripen based plane. You could have been able to make a good deal with the swedes, nobody is buying the Gripen, even if it is a very good plane.

When you base your industry on sixties designs and Russian tech base, it is very difficult to be competitive.

You somehow assumed that a 60 tons Arjun is based of a 48 Tons T-90.
Cant believe people here are taking some of your points seriously.

Voldemort

Country flag

Please give up this dream of defending yourself against Russia. Just pray they will be good to you. Russia has 15000 tanks against your 250. Even your 1 Fin= 10 Russians wont work.

jouni

Please give up this dream of defending yourself against Russia. Just pray they will be good to you. Russia has 15000 tanks against your 250. Even your 1 Fin= 10 Russians wont work.
We have 12500 NLAWs and Hornets will get air to ground capabilities. It helps also that 14000 of those tanks will not start, let alone manage to get to Finnish front somehow.

Reactions: sob

Voldemort

Country flag
We have 12500 NLAWs and Hornets will get air to ground capabilities. It helps also that 14000 of those tanks will not start, let alone manage to get to Finnish front somehow.
And their 1500 fighters and ground attack aircrafts wont fly of course to wipe off your 50 Hornets and 250 tanks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jouni

And their 1500 fighters and ground attack aircrafts wont fly of course to wipe off your 50 Hornets and 250 tanks. :rolleyes:
We have 60 hornets and 40 hawks. In the last war our Brewsters had a kill ratio of 29:1, so I am pretty optimistic that we can manage even if they throw all their strategic reserves on us and leave the rest of the country defenseless.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Its absolutely ridiculous to compare Finland defense against Russia, juvenile argument.

It would have been a good addition to include hybrid Leos in IA inventory matching to subcontinental conditions. But IA is so sold over Russian lobby that even moscow does have not to push their offer. Hope the new Def minister is sensible and will try to dismantle nuisance elements in IA.

karn

Country flag
Wow..9,1 Mil a piece. Well you are a superpower, those are small change for you. We "postal stamp" nations must be more cost cautious.
Your Arjun is almost 5 M$ a piece. Finland has 250 Leo 2's which cost appr. 2 Mil a piece. That was a bargain.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=07UMC68-_r4[/video]
Or you know you could read the OP before commenting.The CAG clearly points out that the Arjun costs about 3.5 million USD that too the high cost is due to the import content (2 million)which is high in the 1st place because low volumes were ordered .

karn

Country flag

Russia has not invaded you is because Russia does not intervene outside of what it considers its sphere of influence . Fear of your military is perhaps number 10 on the list of things Russia considers as reasons not to invade. The only army Russia fears the expeditionary force that the US has parked there under NATO.
Really? Yes it is based on Leo 2. Sorry, I thought it was based on t-tank. You guys are smarter than I thought. I also like how open and critical the discusdion in this forum is. That shows that the base of Indian society is strong.

Regarding EU defense, you might be right. Europe was destroyed in two world wars and focused on pacifism and co operation. Maybe a mistake...
>Focused on pacifism and co operation ... I'll take that seriously when the EU stops depending on the US for its defence .
On a side note a t series vs Leo 2 debate is pointless unless the upgrades and modifications used in either tank is mentioned . Neither is inherently superior to the other.

Last edited:

Voldemort

Country flag
We have 60 hornets and 40 hawks. In the last war our Brewsters had a kill ratio of 29:1, so I am pretty optimistic that we can manage even if they throw all their strategic reserves on us and leave the rest of the country defenseless.
I am sure 1 Hawk is going to bring down 29 Flankers. :rolleyes: OK Finland emerges the winner. Lets not derail the thread any further.

jouni

I studied your Arjun project. That is pretty unbelievable. You basically started from scratch in a shed with few Leo 2 drawings. I actually understod that Arjun is a copy of Leo 2, not joint project. I was wondering why it looked so different from Leo 2. So you basically developed it 37 years and first one came to service in 2004.

You got my symphaties, both Arjun and Tejas are decades in the planning and when they finally are ready, of course the world has moved forward! It is not easy to become military giant, even if you have billion population.

You definately are the sympathetic giant among US, EU and China!

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
I studied your Arjun project. That is pretty unbelievable. You basically started from scratch in a shed with few Leo 2 drawings. I actually understod that Arjun is a copy of Leo 2, not joint project. I was wondering why it looked so different from Leo 2. So you basically developed it 37 years and first one came to service in 2004.

You got my symphaties, both Arjun and Tejas are decades in the planning and when they finally are ready, of course the world has moved forward! It is not easy to become military giant, even if you have billion population.

You definately are the sympathetic giant among US, EU and China!
Don't you have anything else to do other than polluting every damn thread with your filth??Seriously..........get a life!!

CCP

India to order 696 T-90s from Russia.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The problem with your understanding is very basic >>

Our Army is 3 million strong excluding paramilitary with is another 2 million, We have over 1000 combat Aircraft in Our Airforce, We have over 30 Capital ships and over 200 other Combat Ships in Our Navy, We cannot relay on foreign supply ..

We have terrain including desert such as Thar, We have mountains including Himalayan ranges, We have cold areas which are more or same Finland`s -50 degrees, We have jungles same as amazons with highest rainfall in the world, We have to design our own system to survive in our own system ..

We have two seas and one ocean to look out, We have desert to mountains and jungles to defend against China and Pakistan so does Criminals ..

==========

This is not the case with your country which you are used to, Hence your understanding ..

I have difficulties in understanding your "indigenous" weapon programs. Both Arjun and Tejas.

Neil

Country flag
Its gud to see the proof in open ..
yup...

the minute i went through the whole post @ BR... i remembered u sir. U were always out there pointing to how there is a very strong russian arms lobby in MoD and IA and that IA should have gone with Arjun.

This just validates your point beyond any reasonable doubt.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles