A 'test only' naval base for India in Kyrghyzstan

A.V.

The Torpedo Testing Centre located at Issyk Kul lake in Karakul province, 250 kms away from the capital Bishkek, is considered one of the best locations to launch and recover torpedoes fired during test trials.

"The facility was visited by Defence Minister A K Antony a few months ago. An Indian delegation would be visiting Kyrgyzstan soon to make an assessment of investment needed for the project and the terms and conditions for co-developing it,"
Local companies and labour to be employed , and a deal on paperwork is on its way . Hope it goes better than the Ayani way and not put in cold storage

news source DEFENCE FORUM OF INDIA

A.V.

Isn't Kyrghyzstan a land locked country??
Issyk Kul lake in Karakul province :- ITS A TEST BED only , but opens doors for future as the country is looking to lease out several of its soviet era abandoned bases as means of revenue .

A start of something to go beyond just this test bed

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
This is because of lack of testing infrastructure back at home. On a long enough timeline, CCS should consider developing same within country. Supporting industry lineup & vendor backing is absolute necessity in doing so.

pmaitra

Kyrghyzstan is strongly under Russian influence. They collaborate with the Russians so closely that last time there were riots between Kyrghyz and Uzbeks, the latter being the main victims, Russia was muted in her response. We have to keep Russia in good humour, or else, we might have to pack up and leave.

Overall idea seems good but there are risks involved. I wonder how PRC will respond.

Country flag
Kyrghyzstan is strongly under Russian influence. They collaborate with the Russians so closely that last time there were riots between Kyrghyz and Uzbeks, the latter being the main victims, Russia was muted in her response. We have to keep Russia in good humour, or else, we might have to pack up and leave.

Overall idea seems good but there are risks involved. I wonder how PRC will respond.
I think we have learned our lesson from Ayni??

Galaxy

Country flag
I personally think as of now we neither have capability nor courage to go for outside base.

We got Farkhor and Ayni base in Tajikistan some 10 years back. What happened in last 10 years ? NOTHING. Vietnam gave naval base to us, May be Iran will give us Chabbar port for naval purpose also, We can have some footprints in Bhutan, Afghanistan and CAR too. But Only talk but no work. I am tired of listing such news every now and then. When we will do actual work ?? I am sure if China will get an opportunity to have Military base in SL or Bangladesh or Pakistan or even Nepal, Burma - They will pick in no time. Hell, Even they have some strategically base in Burma, SL, Pakistan.

We often talk about Strings of pearls - it's real threat. What's our response ? We will do this and that. Few countries might support us and so on. But Nothing concrete.

I think it's all about capability. Courage comes when you have capability. Our Economy was pathetic till mid 90's. Our economy performed well only in last 10-15 years. Now our economy is strong. Recently some jurno asked to new IAF chief why we didn't signed the deal of MMRCA 10 years back when we knew MIG21/27 is going to decommissioned soon. He said very gently " We didn't had enough money and neither our economy was so stable that one can project next 10 years growth. Now, we have money and threat too. So, we started our never been before Defence modernization. In next 5-6 years, Our Defence will be quite strong. Even we can face Pakistan + China together with expectation of Draw if not win. Once we complete 1st leg of Defence modernization, Then we will go beyond the border to make some bases. How can we make a base in Tajikistan when We don't have a single quality fighter jets in South India, Andamaan & Nicobaar and most parts of North-East except Assam ?

IMO, we are building strong strategic relation with many like minded countries for FUTURE and same time improving our defence. After few years when our defence will be strong then we will move ahead with past relation which we created going forward. Just my personal opinion :)

Last edited:

agentperry

i dont want tajikstan chapter to repeat itself. bills to india and base to russia.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles