84 secret: India sought UK help in Army action at Golden Temple

Blackwater

Wrong, there are only 1.4 million Indians in the UK and 300,000 are Sikh and 800,000 Hindu. Most of the Sikh community is pro India and doesn't need people making assumptions for them.
where u live in UK? i have dont extensive NRI banking search in UK. i was a NRI banker in Uk.

trust me its more than 2 million.

boris

Country flag
So in all they have gone, check and given their assessment. No SAS action. Fair enough.
It is mostly just advice you know do's and dont's, the SAS has been doing this for a long time, they assess,advise, thats all . It sort of makes sense given the fact that the Special Group(SFF) and 1 Para(SF) were involved in the raid. Likewise an SAS officer visited the Para(SF) in the late 80's to learn about their experiences in SL during the IPKF days.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Yeah! just try typing this anywhere!
Lets see how many people agree with you???
I do not care, any foreigner agreeing with what happens in our country as long as our people does agreeing on each other.

BTW If Tamils r your brothers what about the Isaipriya?

Isaipriya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Isapriya was a terrorist. Maybe it is wrong how she was murdered. But we have to agree to the reality of war.

Terrorists like Isapriya do not come with bare hands. Specially in LTTE.

BTW if terrorist Isapriya was a SL Tamil journalist. What should we call the Al-Qaeda spokesperson?

SPIEZ

Country flag
I do not care, any foreigner agreeing with what happens in our country as long as our people does agreeing on each other.
We give a rat's rear about your opinion. The whole world knows the truth about Tamil genocide in Lanka.

Isapriya was a terrorist.
Disgusting! You give a good name to AQ.

Maybe it is wrong how she was murdered. But we have to agree to the reality of war.
If so, why not you die instead of an innocent women journalist??????

RajputPride

Blackwater

Wiki is not a benchmark. We all know how updated and good r city council records lolll. Btw I have been to bath .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Was India that incompetent that it required British help?

boris

Country flag
Was India that incompetent that it required British help?
I'd not call it incompetence rather inexperience. Lets not forget that it had not even been 20 years since the Army SF had been set up and this was something very different than the behind enemy lines raids like Chachro the SF had expertise in. A few years back in 1977 when Col. Beckwith was setting up Delta Force, the first batch of his selected SF(Green Berets) soldiers were trained in CQB by the British SAS, this first batch would then assume the role of teaching the next few batched before Delta Force got activated. Regardless of the result of Vietnam it is accepted that the US SF and SEALs had success in their operations even then their inexperience in Counter-Terrorism led them to take British help too. Another point I would raise is that most forces barring the SAS,GSG9,GIGN and the Israelis were in their infancy fighting this new threat.

So again incomptence would be a harsh word, the lessons learned led to the formation of NSG.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Margaret Thatcher gave full support over Golden Temple raid, letter shows

Margaret Thatcher gave her Indian counterpart Indira Gandhi Britain's full support in the immediate aftermath of the 1984 Golden Temple raid, according to private correspondence seen by the Guardian.

The then British prime minister sent a personal note saying that Britain supported India's unity in the face of demands for a separate Sikh homeland and disclosed that police were investigating threats against the safety of Indian diplomats.

The letter will cause further debate about Britain's role in the raid among the worldwide Sikh community and senior MPs across the political spectrum after it was disclosed on Monday that the Indian government had made an apparent request for advice from the SAS in the months leading up to the raid.

It will form part of an investigation launched by the cabinet secretary, Sir Jeremy Heywood, on the orders of David Cameron to determine the British government's actions over the raid on Sikhism's holiest site in Amritsar.

The Indian government says about 400 people were killed when Gandhi sent troops into the temple complex in June 1984 in the six-day Operation Blue Star. Sikh groups, which have called for an inquiry into the British role in "one of the darkest episodes in Sikh history", put the death toll in the thousands, including many pilgrims.

In what appears to be the first letter to Gandhi after the raid, sent on 30 June 1984, Thatcher wrote: "These have been anxious weeks for you, involving difficult decisions. I have followed closely your efforts to restore calm there, and I very much hope that the 'healing touch' for which you have called will open the way to a peaceful and prosperous future in that troubled region."

The letter, which is in response to two sent by Gandhi on 9 and 14 June, appears to show that the Indian prime minister had expressed worries that Sikh "extremists" could use Britain as a base. Thatcher wrote: "I well appreciate your concern about the potential security threat posed by extremists outside India. We are determined not to allow our traditional freedoms to be abused by those who seek to use violence for political ends."

In an apparent reference to death threats against Gandhi which had been reported in the British media, the UK prime minister who died last year wrote: "We have made sure the police are aware of these statements and they are investigating them."

Thatcher also reassured Gandhi that British police were "devoting considerable resources" to safeguarding Indian government personnel in Britain.

A few months after the letter was sent, Gandhi was gunned down by her own Sikh bodyguards in a claimed act of revenge. This triggered communal violence which led to the deaths of thousands of Sikhs across India.

Other documents in the file make clear Whitehall's interest in lucrative arms sales to India at this time. A secret Foreign Office briefing dated 22 June 1984, which was sent to Downing Street, stressed that British "commercial interests" in India were "very substantial. It it a large and growing market for both commercial and defence sales. British exports in 1983 exceeded £800m and since 1975 India has bought British defence equipment worth over £1.25bn," the document claims.

Cameron on Wednesday appeared to downplay the likelihood of an inquiry finding evidence that Britain was to blame for the raid. Labour's former deputy chairman Tom Watson suggested the British might have played a part in the assault on the temple in exchange for the Indians agreeing to purchase a fleet of helicopters in a £65m deal.

Watson said to Cameron: "On your Amritsar inquiry, instead of ordering the civil servants to investigate, why don't you just ask lords Geoffrey Howe and Leon Brittan what they agreed with Margaret Thatcher, and whether it had anything to do with the Westland Helicopter deal at the time?" Cameron dismissed any suggestions of a conspiracy.

Margaret Thatcher gave full support over Golden Temple raid, letter shows | World news | The Guardian

Phantom

1947 - Independence

1984 - Operation Bluestar; After a near-disastrous siege, First realization that we need a dedicated counter-terror Unit. Ergo the NSG.

1999 - IC 814 Hijacking; After being stuck in vehicular traffic, First realization that the NSG needs attached quick-response air assets.

2008 - Mumbai Terror Attacks; First realization that for a vast country like India, a Centralized presence of NSG leads to crucial delays. NSG contingents/units deployed in many major cities.

Why am I not surprised that India sought UK's help in this case? If our response to such a crucial issue as domestic terror is so reactive and lethargic even AFTER the creation of NSG, India would no doubt be caught with it's pants down in tackling a well-entrenched Militant force inside the temple.

lion

What do you know about bhindrawal? Please share.
Lets have a genral discussion on this mate...

lion

1947 - Independence

1984 - Operation Bluestar; After a near-disastrous siege, First realization that we need a dedicated counter-terror Unit. Ergo the NSG.

1999 - IC 814 Hijacking; After being stuck in vehicular traffic, First realization that the NSG needs attached quick-response air assets.

2008 - Mumbai Terror Attacks; First realization that for a vast country like India, a Centralized presence of NSG leads to crucial delays. NSG contingents/units deployed in many major cities.

Why am I not surprised that India sought UK's help in this case? If our response to such a crucial issue as domestic terror is so reactive and lethargic even AFTER the creation of NSG, India would no doubt be caught with it's pants down in tackling a well-entrenched Militant force inside the temple.
Well said phantom. If we had bring N.S.G. into existence then we should think about possible terrorist attacks and give N.S.G. clear cut orders to annihilate any sort of terrorist activity. LIke the one in the case of hijacking of IC-814...

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
angrez must be laughing there asses off...that our shameless political parties want to put India at stake merely on the word of a foreign govt.

Blackwater

RAW head of that time confirmed MI-5 official visited golden temple in 1984 as devotee/tourist and after rekhee adviced not to attack golden temple.

may be goras can see aftermaths than GOI

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
RAW head of that time confirmed MI-5 official visited golden temple in 1984 as devotee/tourist and after rekhee adviced not to attack golden temple.

may be goras can see aftermaths than GOI
Intelligence officers of other countries roaming around India and gathering intelligence is one thing and implying that such officers were roaming because they were asked for by GoI is another thing.

It is duty of raw to know what intelligence officers of other countries are doing, keeping tabs on them is again one thing and implying that they are in bed together is another thing.

Another important point, massive funding for terrorists were coming from uk itself so it is not out of the ordinary for some intelligence sharing because it happens between all countries and is normal procedure.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles