2010 FIFA World Cup

plugwater

Official music video for Fifa World Cup 2010 - Waka Waka by Shakira

Last edited by a moderator:

plugwater

Germans are efficient, Brazilians can't defend and Italians cheat - but which of these lazy stereotypes actually stand up to scrutiny?

England

Poster boy: Wayne Rooney

Stereotype: It's 1966 again. Fabio Capello is Alf Ramsey. The role of Bobby Moore has switched from John Terry to Rio Ferdinand to Steven Gerrard like successive regenerations of Doctor Who, and Rooney is an angrier Geoff Hurst. After 44 years of hurt, it's time for England's brave lions to make history.

Reality. It is a scientific fact that no lion, however brave, has ever scored a penalty. And the WAGs (Wives and Girlfriends - Cheryl Cole, Victoria Beckham, Coleen Rooney et al) have been replaced by the IAGs (Injured and Gutted - crocks David Beckham and Rio Ferdinand, who are inexplicably still with the squad).

Brazil

Poster boy: Kaka

Stereotype: Samba magicians, everybody's second team and the men who are set to light up the tournament. They exude carefree Copacabana beach football spirit, and would gladly play in just bermuda shorts if permitted. What's more, they have won the tournament five times - more than any other country.

Reality: Coach Dunga, who captained Brazil to triumph in 1994, has imbued his side with a no-frills, workmanlike edge that makes Stoke City look like... well, Brazil. Flair merchants Pato, Adriano and Ronaldinho have all been left out, although the latter features in Nike's megabucks World Cup TV spot. Oops.

France

Poster boy: Franck Ribery

Stereotype: Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland - dubbed the 'Hand of Frog' - changed public perception of French football. No more the swaggering Gallic flair purveyed by Zinedine Zidane and Eric Cantona. Now they are seen as sly, underhand and coached by a horoscopes-obsessed mentalist (Raymond Domenech).

Reality: Even more scandal-riven than the England squad, with Henry, Franck Ribery and William Gallas among those making the headlines for the wrong reasons. Plus there is bickering, with senior players revolting against Domenech in light of some woeful friendlies. Mind, this happened four years ago and they reached the final.

Germany

Poster boy: Bastian Schweinsteiger

Stereotype: Ever since the Germans came from two down to beat England in 1970, commentators have been urging us not to write them off. This is something always done at one's peril, in football-speak. They are ruthless, efficient and programmed to win despite the shock of losing inspirational captain Michael Ballack to injury.

Reality: Wait a minute. So Germany's inspirational captain, whose injury provoked a week of national mourning, is Chelsea's seventh-best (soon-to-be-ex-) midfielder? Could that mean - gasp! - that they aren't actually very good? It can and does. Not that we are writing them off, you understand.

Spain

Poster boy: Fernando Torres

Stereotype: Barcelona on tour. Carles Puyol marshalling the defence, Xavi and Andres Iniesta pulling the midfield strings and Barca new boy David Villa banging in the goals. Spain used to be the team with bags of talent that froze on the big stage, but their Euro 2008 triumph allowed them to shed the 'chokers' reputation.

Reality: Actually, this one is about right. Spain really are brilliant, and their strength in depth is just scary. Recent injury scares to Torres and Iniesta barely caused a flicker of concern - why would they when you can just call on Villa and Cesc Fabregas instead?

Netherlands

Poster boy: Wesley Sneijder

Stereotype: Aah, the Dutch. Everyone's second team (if Brazil have already been knocked out). Ever since the days of Johan Cruyff and Total Football in the 70s, Holland have been all about technical supremacy and mental fragility, mercurial brilliance and in-fighting. Even worse at penalties than England.

Reality: Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben (struggling with injury, as ever) provide sparkle, but the rest of the Dutch squad is as sturdy as a pair of clogs, as functional as a windmill... you get the idea. Disciplinarian coach Bert van Marwijk has moulded an unfussy squad with more emphasis on organisation than flair.

Italy

Poster boy: Gianluigi Buffon

Stereotype: The country that produced Capello, Cappuccino and Chianti has never had much love from these shores. Players are invariably divided between snide, cynical destroyers (Claudio Gentile, Marco Materazzi) and preening, posing forwards who spend half-time on the phone to their mothers (Francesco Totti, Filippo Inzaghi).

Reality: The defending champions' expectations are low, with a surprising level of hostility towards coach Marcello Lippi, who led them to glory in 2006. The Azzurri are short on star power and, after some dismal friendly results, just as low on confidence. Nonetheless, Lippi is a shrewd man who knows how to win.

Argentina

Poster boy: Lionel Messi

Stereotype: Wild, untamed and brilliant. Cynical at the back, poetry-in-motion in attack. Star man Lionel Messi, by popular consent the best player in the world, is poised to emulate Diego Maradona's tournament-winning performances from 1986 - with El Diego looking on from the bench as Messi's coach.

Reality: Best player in the world he might be, but Messi was dreadful in qualifying and Argentina were in disarray, as the coach used no fewer than 51 players. Some have noted Maradona's reputation as a player would not exactly suffer if Messi fell flat in South Africa.

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Official FIFA World Cup 2010 theme song

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
THNX...MANC. jus added couple of posts related to WC..thats all.:)

Last edited:

plugwater

Matches : Friday, 11th June 2010

South Africa v Mexico

VS

Friday, 11th June 2010
Soccer City - Johannesburg
KO 19.30 IST​

Uruguay v France

VS

Friday, 11th June 2010
Green Point Stadium - CapeTown
KO 24.00 IST​

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i_Ns_8V88aoiL8u3LqUL4gLl75dg

Australian fans crushed by 4-0 World Cup defeat to Germany

(AFP) – 2 hours ago

SYDNEY — Thousands of Australian fans crammed into Sydney's World Cup fan site Monday, enduring wintry conditions in the chill pre-dawn, only to see the Socceroos comprehensively beaten 4-0 by Germany.

"They are playing like rubbish," complained Sydneysider Andrew Harb, as a polished Germany went up 2-0 against the Australians in the first half.

Officials said the FIFA fan fest site, one of six around the world outside of South Africa, had to turn thousands away after it reached its capacity of 20,000 hours before the match, which kicked off at 4:30 am local time.

Kate Hadley, who watched the game on the giant video screens at the Darling Harbour site, said the match was a disappointment for fans who had spent the night outside in cold southern hemisphere winter conditions, with temperatures dropping to six degress celsius.

"We got here at 10:00 pm, it's 6:00 am now and there were four goals against us," she told AFP.

"We're feeling a bit disappointed. Having said that, we will still be here next week."

Fans decked out in the Australian colours of green and gold were hyped before the match began, singing and cheering before the Socceroos began to fold within minutes under pressure from one of the powerhouses of world football.

Spectators began to trickle home at half-time before streaming out in their hundreds in the second half once Germany scored their third goal.

"It was a terrible result. It's really heartbreaking," said Chantelle De La Torre, from the western suburbs of Sydney, where Socceroo Harry Kewell went to high school.

"But we will still support the Socceroos all the way. Better luck next time."

A dejected Evangelos Sarikizoglou tried to put a better gloss on the trouncing.

"The performance was alright. We were just a bit unlucky," he said. "We've got to be a bit tighter and get more men forward."

Former Socceroo Paul Wade summed up what has already been described as the Durban disaster: "I am not outraged but I am gutted," he told Sky News.

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jzEANpEKpFYfRFLhkKCP9hwrT8lQ

When Germany needs him, Miroslav Klose comes through with the goals

By Nesha Starcevic (CP) – 2 hours ago

DURBAN, South Africa — Miroslav Klose usually comes through when it matters most for Germany, and he did it again in Sunday's 4-0 win over Australia to kick off his country's bid for a fourth World Cup title.

Klose scored the important second goal that put Germany firmly in control of Sunday's Group D match.

The 32-year-old striker had been under fire ahead of the tournament after warming the bench at Bayern Munich for most of the season, in which he scored only three goals in the Bundesliga, and played poorly in Germany's tuneup matches.

"I always knew what I could do," Klose said after the match. "I trained two-three times a day and I knew that today was important, not what happened in the friendlies before the World Cup."

Klose played little part in Bayern's sweep of the two domestic titles and in its march to the Champions League final. But Germany coach Joachim Loew stuck with his veteran despite widespread calls to drop the striker.

"Miro always shows that he is there in important games," defender Arne Friedrich said.

Klose scored the goal that qualified Germany for the World Cup in a 1-0 victory in Russia.

After scoring in the 26th minute against Australia with a powerful header off a cross from Philipp Lahm, Klose now has 11 goals in three World Cup tournaments, tied for second on Germany's all-time list with Juergen Klinsmann. Gerd Mueller leads with 14.

"Philipp sent a good cross, that's something we've been trying out in practice and I hit it very well. Few goalkeepers would have stopped it," Klose said. "I knew I had to focus on one chance and I used it."

Klose came close a few more times and worked with his forward partner from the last World Cup, Lukas Podolski, who also scored and was chosen man of the match.

The Polish-born Klose scored five goals at the 2002 tournament, when Germany reached the final, and topped the 2006 World Cup at home with five more to lead Germany to the semis.

But Klose has looked a shadow of himself this season, displaying little confidence until Loew built him up with plenty of encouragement for Germany's World Cup opener.

"The coach talked to me a lot and that was worth gold and the team always believed in me," Klose said. "I knew that this was my game and that I had to wait for my moment. I moved well and I was all over the place. That's the way I like to play."

Defender Per Mertesacker said the team never lost faith in Klose and Podolski, who also struggled this season.

"They were always part of the team, we knew what they can do. We need many more goals from them," Mertesacker said.

Klose said Germany should keep its feet on the ground, with Serbia up next. The Serbs lost their Group D opener 1-0 to Ghana.

"It was hugely important to win the first game. We've earned us respect. But nothing is yet won," said Klose. "The Serbs have their backs to the wall and we have a tough game ahead."

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hfqtCg95YS5jAhbjlAA01m5qLBHw

Gerrard backs Green

(UKPA) – 4 hours ago

England captain Steven Gerrard is convinced Robert Green has already shown the strength of character needed to recover from his devastating World Cup clanger.

Green is now sweating on his place ahead of Friday's second Group C encounter with Algeria. The West Ham keeper gifted Clint Dempsey an equaliser that eventually denied England victory against the United States and allowed Slovenia to take an early grip on the four-team pool.

"Their goal was very difficult but Rob has come out and faced up to it," said Gerrard.

"We have to rally round and support him and make sure he is mentally right for the next game.

"He made a fantastic save in the second half, which showed his character. He has bounced back straight away and I am sure he will be very important for us the further we go."

Gerrard accepts the needs for unity to ensure the disappointment of failing to win the opening match does not turn into anything more serious.

There were certainly aspects of England's play Saturday that will have cheered Capello, not least Gerrard's fourth-minute opener.

The midfielder profited from some excellent work by Emile Heskey and ultimately, the major disappointment was that England were unable to build on that early advantage.

"The equaliser came at a very bad time. It was setback and a real shock," admitted Gerrard. "From a personal point a view it was fantastic to get off the mark and score a goal, and put the team in front but we didn't get a chance to get a stranglehold of the game.

"All in all, we controlled a big part of the game and probably just deserved to win. Ideally, we would have liked three points but it hasn't worked out that way. There is still room for improvement and hopefully that will come against Algeria."

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jErtJRPcnh0ncctOp5AdguZRHp5g

Australia forward Tim Cahill in tears after World Cup red card against Germany

By Tony Harper (CP) – 2 hours ago

DURBAN, South Africa — The first time Tim Cahill ran into Bastian Schweinsteiger he earned a red card. The second time he dissolved into tears.

Cahill, the hero of Australia's 2006 World Cup campaign, was sent off Sunday with a straight red card in the 56th minute for a late challenge on Schweinsteiger at Moses Mabhida Stadium. He now misses the must-win match against Ghana.

"It's one of the saddest moments in my football career to be in this position," Cahill said, just as Schweinsteiger approached him after the game.

"It was not a red card," Schweinsteiger told the Australian, who began to cry.

"That was nice of him," Cahill said. "Sometimes players can make a meal of things on the pitch and it's understandable because it gives them an advantage."

Cahill said the red card was "one of the lowest points of my career."

Cahill's challenge came from behind but his studs were on the turf, his leg was bent and he clipped Schweinsteiger with his knee first.

Even so, Marco Rodriguez of Mexico showed him the red card. Germany was already leading 2-0 and it powered away for a 4-0 victory.

"If you look at in on the TV you can see he comes in from behind trying to make a tackle and then pulls out," Australia captain Lucas Neill said.

Cahill, who plays as an attacking midfielder with Everton, had endured a frustrating night as Australia's usually conservative coach Pim Verbeek pulled a surprise and played Cahill as striker.

Although Verbeek has employed a 4-2-3-1 formation throughout qualifying and friendly matches, he left the squad's three strikers on the bench and played midfielders Richard Garcia and Cahill as two front men.

The move left Cahill, Australia's most influential player, isolated and wasted up front and he barely threatened. He appeared frustrated as the Germans took control but said he was happy to play anywhere on the field.

"It's just an honour to play for my country," Cahill said. "You see a lot of players wanting to start who aren't. I'd play left back — it wouldn't bother me."

Australia must now beat Ghana, who earlier Sunday scored a 1-0 victory over Serbia, without Cahill, to have a chance of making the next stage.

Cahill became a national hero in 2006 when he scored twice in the final 10 minutes to lead the Socceroos to a come-from-behind 3-1 victory over Japan, the country's only victory in a match at a World Cup finals.

"I never doubt my own character — I'm 100 per cent committed to the cause," Cahill said. "I'll train my best to prove my worth for the last game."

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5igOvD2qrasZVQUhMHrrLwcolfJIQ

Germany thrash Australia 4-0 in World Cup

By Luke Phillips (AFP) – 5 hours ago

DURBAN, South Africa — Three-time champions Germany fired out a warning to World Cup challengers with a comprehensive 4-0 dismantling of Australia in their opening Group D match here Sunday.

The Germans totally dominated the Socceroos, with captain Philipp Lahm and rising stars Mesut Oezil and Thomas Mueller running Australian veterans Scott Chipperfield and Craig Moore ragged down the right wing.

Goals from Lukas Podolski, Miroslav Klose, Mueller and Brazil-born striker Cacau were just rewards for a team which also had a hatful of other scoring opportunities.

The victory leaves Germany atop of Group D, Ghana having beaten Serbia 1-0 in the day's other game.

Podolski opened the scoring in the ninth minute, the happy recipient of a text-book training ground move executed to clinical perfection.

After Oezil had played in Mueller, the Bayern Munich right winger cut the ball back across the face of the goal for Podolski to hammer home left-footed, with Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer getting a hand on it.

Klose, top scorer in the 2006 World Cup, made it 2-0 in the 27th minute with a well-taken goal - and his 11th in World Cup finals - rising between Australian captain Lucas Neill and Schwarzer to head powerfully home from a Lahm cross.

"Everything worked well and it is important that things went well in the first game," Klose said.

"We have earned some respect. You could see that we had fun playing football out there. I know what I can do. I feel great."

Germany coach Joachim Loew was delighted too.

"I am very happy about the performance, we showed some quick passing and good speed," he said.

The Socceroos paid a heavy price for the dismissal of Tim Cahill, shown a straight red card in the 56th minute by Mexican referee Marco Rodriguez for a very clumsy challenge on Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Two goals in a matter of minutes from Mueller (67) and Cacau (70), on as a replacement for Klose, sealed Australia's dismal start to their third World Cup campaign.

Mueller, who started the season in Bayern Munich's reserves, looked like he'd overrun a Podolski through-ball it but he dragged it back and shot accurately past Schwarzer, in off the post.

With the Australian defence in disarray, Caucau then had a simple tuck-in from another inch-perfect pass into the box by the 21-year-old Oezil.

It was Australia who had the first real chance of the game, Lahm clearing a close-range effort by Richard Garcia in the fourth minute.

And for all their fine attacking instincts, Germany did at times look slow to close down at the back, allowing time and space for both Garcia and replacement Brett Holman to have shots on target.

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hr4trMiLZzTnxBlN97KShdHWq1qQ

Ghana delivers a win that all Africa can celebrate

By Jim Slater (AFP) – 7 hours ago

PRETORIA, South Africa — Inspired by a sense of playing for all of Africa, Ghana's Black Stars became the first Africans to win a World Cup match on their home continent by downing Serbia 1-0 in their opener Sunday.

Asamoah Gyan blasted in a penalty kick in the 84th minute after a handball by Serbian Zdravko Kuzmanovic, then joined in a dance-filled team celebration that saw even a security guard hug Gyan.

"Everyone is happy, not only in Ghana but the whole of Africa," Gyan said. "I'm so happy, not for Ghana winning but for an African team winning in the World Cup. It's not so easy.

"We knew all Africa would support us. I really drove off that."

Ghana coach Milovcan Rajevac, a Serbian, was excited his team could pull off the historic triumph after the hosts, Nigeria and Algeria had failed to bring Africa a World Cup triumph in South Africa.

"This was the first time the World Cup was held on African soil and so I'm happy an African team beat a great European team and I'm happy that the whole of Africa is pleased about this win," Rajevac said.

Ghana was the only African team to reach the round of 16 at the 2006 World Cup, losing to Brazil in the knockout stage, and the victory over Serbia boosted the Black Stars' chances to advance again in 2010.

"It was big for Africa. It means a lot. We showed we could beat them," said Ghana midfielder Andre Ayew.

"I don't know if this means we have arrived. Our dream is advancement."

While that dream is not yet secured, any notion that all six African teams might fail to advance on African soil seemed put to rest with the victory, Ghana captain John Mensah said.

"Forget what you have heard," Mensah said.

"We played with our hearts. We don't have to do anything else. It's beautiful. To win the first game out is very important. We're happy now. Tomorrow we will go back to working."

The Black Stars will need to train hard. Next up is a Saturday matchup with Group D rivals Australia at Rustenburg with the mighty Germans to follow.

For Gyan, patience was critical in beating Serbia, which in addition to the handball saw Aleksandar Lukovic red-carded after a second yellow card 10 minutes before Gyan's goal.

"We knew what the Serbians were going to do," Gyan said. "We were patient and waited for them to make mistakes and that's what happened.

"It's not the first time I have taken a penalty in front of a huge crowd. There was no pressure on me."

Gyan said his team gives defence a greater priority than in 2006 and that has been a key to success.

"Now we make sure we defend our goal before we attack," he said. "In 2006, we were attacking more without doing that."

Pintu

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hxA2Zeo4i9gpz5_zFDqg9l_ODvYA

Gift Koren goal gives Slovenia first World Cup win

By Emmanuel Barranguet (AFP) – 9 hours ago

POLOKWANE, South Africa — Captain Robert Koren snatched the soft late goal that gave Slovenia a 1-0 victory over 10-man Algeria on Sunday and top place in Group C of the World Cup.

Goalkeeper Faouzi Chaouchi should have saved a curling shot from outside the penalty area on 79 minutes, but let it slip into the corner of the net soon after striker Abdelkader Ghezzal was sent off.

It was the first World Cup win for Slovenia after three losses in their only previous appearance eight years ago and will offer hope ahead of tougher assignments against the United States and England.

Slovenia coach Matjaz Kek said that winning their first match would be celebrated accordingly.

"This is the first victory for Slovenia in the World Cup. We suffered in the closing minutes on the bench," said Kek, who failed to win in his first five matches in charge before guiding them to the finals.

"That is not going to change our lives, but we will celebrate it in our fashion."

Koren, who was named man of the match, admitted his goal had been lucky with the semi-artificial pitch surface coming into play as well as Chaouchi following England's Robert Green into the limelight as a blundering goalkeeper.

"Even before the match, we had said that our target was to reach the second round, and this win will only boost our confidence in ourselves," said the 29-year-old.

Algeria coach Rabah Saadane praised his players but conceded his side were still learning to compete at this level.

"There are only small details that can make the difference, that is the blatant truth at this heady level," said Saadane. "My only regret is that we didn't shoot enough, which I had asked my team to do."

Among the crowd at the 46,000-seat Peter Mokaba Stadium in this northern city was former superstar Zinedine Zidane, born in Marseille to Algerian parents and a World Cup winner with France 12 years ago.

Warm, clear conditions greeted the outsiders in a mini-league pundits believe will be dominated by 1966 champions England and the USA, who drew 1-1 in Rustenburg the previous night.

A free kick in front of goal and outside the penalty area offered the North Africans the first chance and goalkeeper Samir Handanovic did well to tip over a Nadir Belhadj shot.

Chaouchi and Portsmouth midfielder Belhadj were fortunate starters for the 'Desert Foxes' as bans stemming from 2010 African Nations Cup red cards were dropped only this week by the African Football Confederation.

Chaouchi came to the rescue as half-time approached, acrobatically tipping over a dipping Valter Birsa shot as Slovenia moved up a couple of gears and also forced a couple of corners.

Hassan Yebda, a starter at the expense of off-form captain Yazid Mansouri and sporting peroxide blond hair, was at the heart of an impressive early second-half Algerian move that ended with a shot straight at Handanovic.

With no sign of a goal the coaches introduced new strikers, Ghezzal replacing Rafik Djebbour and Zlatan Ljubijankic coming on for Zlatko Dedic, whose goal eliminated Russia.

Halfway through the half and the game remained goalless although Italy-based Ghezzal was making an impact, getting on the end of several crosses only to be let down by high headers.

But the Algerian substitute did the 'Desert Foxes' no favours by getting sent off 17 minutes from full-time for a second yellow card after deliberately handling a cross.

plugwater

Japan 1-0 Cameroon

Japan edged out Cameroon in a dour encounter at Bloemfontein's Free State Stadium which produced little in the way of goalmouth action.

A far from capacity crowd witnessed two out-of-form teams struggle to find any inspiration in another tepid World Cup encounter.

After a dire opening half-hour the Japan took the lead against the run of play when Dalsuke Matsui's cross looped over Stephane Mbia and was met by Keisuke Honda, who fired in coolly at the back post.

Japan almost doubled the lead when Makoto Hasebe crashed an effort towards goal but it was well saved by Souleymanou Hamidou before the offside Shinji Okazaki clattered the post as he followed up.

Cameroon finally found some urgency in the closing stages as Mbia rattled the crossbar from 25 yards but the well-drilled Japan side were able to hold on and go level with the Netherlands at the top of Group E.

The Blue Samurai, who had lost four straight games in their World Cup build-up before drawing 0-0 with Zimbabwe, set out so defensively it seemed they would be happy with a point from the opening whistle.

And although Cameroon showed more endeavour, the fact that star striker Samuel Eto'o was played wide on the right and was often found lurking very deep, they lacked any sort of cutting edge.

A 37th-minute shot from Eyong Enoh was the first goalmouth action of the game and, although it was comfortably collected by Japan goalkeeper Eiji Kawashima, it did finally suggest Cameroon may start to find gaps in the Japanese defence.

But the opposite was true as, despite their lack of attacking intent, Japan took a surprise lead one minute later.

Matsui's deep left-footed cross was completely missed by the Cameroon defenders and Honda had time to control the ball before passing into the net.

The Indomitable Lions are the most successful African side in World Cup history having qualified for the World Cup six times, but the pride and passion shown by previous incarnations was sadly lacking in this first tournament on their own continent.

Immediately after half time however, it suddenly seemed Cameroon had roused themselves from their slumber.

Three-time African Footballer of the Year Eto'o finally showed a glimpse of his ability when he picked the ball up on the right and beat two men on his way into the area before squaring to Maxim Choupo-Moting but the striker could not control his finish and blasted over the bar.

But that impetus was not to last and it was not until the 85th minute that Cameroon found two efforts which could have stolen them a point.

In a moment of inspiration totally out keeping with the rest of the game, Mbia hammered a stunning effort towards goal from 25 yards which crashed off the crossbar and following that Kawashima saved from Pierre Webo in injury time.

In fairness to Japan the Asian side's tactics worked almost perfectly as they defended solidly but on this evidence the Netherlands and Denmark will have little to worry about going into the tournament's second week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_10/default.stm

plugwater

Netherlands 2-0 Denmark

A freak own goal from Denmark defender Daniel Agger helped Netherlands on their way to victory in the World Cup Group E contest at Soccer City.

After a tight first half, the crucial breakthrough came moments after the break as Simon Poulsen tried to head a Robin van Persie cross clear only for the ball to strike Agger on the back and fly past a wrong-footed Thomas Sorensen.

At the time the goal was harsh on Denmark after Morten Olsen's side matched the Dutch in the opening period, but they offered little having fallen behind and can have few complaints about the result.

The Dutch wrapped it up with five minutes left when lively substitute Eljero Elia raced on to a through ball and after his shot struck the post, Dirk Kuyt tapped in the rebound to add gloss to the scoreline.

But in truth, the ninth game of the tournament followed many of its predecessors as both teams struggled for any sort of fluency and neither could find any real attacking momentum in the Johannesburg sunshine.

With World Cup greats Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini and Zinedine Zidane watching on from the stands, it provided another sharp reminder that, Germany apart, so far this tournament has significantly failed to provide the entertaining, creative football many had expected.

Netherlands were many people's dark horses coming into the competition, but, missing the wing play of the injured Arjen Robben, they struggled to find a way through a dogged Danish defence.

Rafael van der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder and Van Persie all threatened to deliver in the early stages, but the Dutch build-up was too laboured and with Denmark getting men behind the ball they managed to frustrate Bert van Marwijk's side.

After Van der Vaart had a shot deflected behind and then curled narrowly off target it seemed as though Netherlands had found their feet, but that only prompted the best spell Denmark had in the game.

The Scandinavians burst into life as Nicklas Bendtner headed a gilt-edged chance wide from six yards, Dennis Rommedahl shot straight at Martin Stekelenburg and then Thomas Kahlenberg forced a fine save from the Ajax stopper.

Unfortunately for Denmark, that was as good as it got as, seconds after the restart, Poulsen and Agger's calamitous moment gave the Dutch an initiative they never looked likely to surrender.

Denmark had no answer to falling behind and the Netherlands began to press for a second they knew would put the result beyond doubt as Van der Vaart brought a sprawling save from an increasingly extended Sorensen.

When the Dutch brought on Elia his pace and directness presented another problem the Danes could not deal with and after Sneijder's shot was deflected on to the bar, the goal that killed the game arrived soon after.

Elia's pace took him clear of the static Danish backline and after his shot stuck the post, Kuyt was only hand to wrap up the three points for the jubilant Dutch.

The nearly had another in the closing stages, only for Poulsen to produce a fabulous clearance with an overhead kick, but the damage had already been done and the Netherlands' World Cup campaign got off to a winning start.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_09/default.stm

plugwater

Italy 1 Paraguay 1

World champions Italy had to fight back from a goal down to earn a point against Paraguay as they began the defence of their crown with an unconvincing draw.

Marcello Lippi's side looked like they would be on the wrong end of the first major shock of the 2010 World Cup when they fell behind to Antolin Alcaraz's first-half header but an error from the South American side's goalkeeper Justo Villa gifted Daniele de Rossi an equaliser.

The ageing Azzurri, who featured five of their 2006 winning team in their starting line-up, looked short of ideas going forward and also have a concern over the fitness of legendary goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, who was forced off at half-time with an apparent back injury.

Italy did avoid their first defeat in their opening game of a World Cup since losing to the Republic of Ireland in New York in 2004 but this was not a performance to reassure their army of travelling fans that they are in any sort of shape to defend their title.

In the absence of the injured Andrea Pirlo, who is expected to return later in the group stage, it fell on Simone Pepe to try to open up the Paraguayan defence, but it was only in the closing stages of the game that he and his side managed any sustained spells of pressure.

Lippi's men dominated possession but their opponents' disciplined and regimented approach, in some ways reminiscent of many cautious Azzurri sides in the past, held firm.

Italy's best opening of the first half hour actually came on the break when Riccardo Montolivo dispossessed Salvatore Bocchetti on the half-way line but, after running to the edge of the area, his low shot barely tested Villar.

At the other end, Paraguay were growing in confidence and they had already wasted a couple of decent shooting chances when they stunned the world champions by taking the lead after 39 minutes.

Aureliano Torres curled in a wicked free-kick and Alcaraz leapt to beat Fabio Cannavaro and De Rossi and power home his header into the corner of the net.

Things got even worse for Italy at half-time when goalkeeper Buffon, another survivor of 2006 and still the anchor of their side, had to be replaced by Federico Marchetti.

Paraguay continued to look comfortable after the break and Enrique Vera came close to adding a second when he drove a fierce shot over the bar when the ball broke to him in the area.

But Italy were gifted an equaliser by the sort of goalkeeping howler that we have become used to in the opening days of this World Cup.

Villar flapped horribly at Pepe's corner and missed his attempted punch, allowing the onrushing De Rossi to force the ball the home from close range.

Italy looked a lot sharper after equalising and ended the stronger side but they were still finding things frustrating in the final third and had to settle for shots from distance.

Pepe fired wide after cutting in from the right and Montolivo had a low effort turned round the post before the end but the Paraguayans held on for the draw that their performance merited.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_11/default.stm

plugwater

Ivory Coast 0-0 Portugal

Ivory Coast and Portugal contested a goalless draw in a cagey opening game to the World Cup's so-called group of death at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

With Brazil also in Group G, it was obvious that both sides were desperate to avoid defeat and there was an extent to which both teams cancelled each other out.

It was the first competitive fixture of Sven-Goran Eriksson's short spell in charge of the Elephants and he can be pleased with the unity and discipline his side showed, particularly with talismanic striker Didier Drogba missing from the starting line-up.

The Chelsea striker, who broke his arm on 4 June, came on after the break to huge cheers from the far-from-capacity Port Elizabeth crowd, but he had limited chance to make an impact on the game.

Ivory Coast were courageous in defence - Didier Zokora, for example, receiving a kick in his arm after bravely heading a cross that Liedson tried to volley - and showed an organisation and discipline in their play that suggested talk of fractures in their squad are wide of the mark.

Portugal, third in the Fifa rankings but who only made it to South Africa after a play-off victory over Bosnia-Hercegovina, should perhaps have tried to capitalise on Drogba's absence.

They did come closest to scoring when Cristiano Ronaldo struck a post, but there was little to suggest an upsurge from their patchy form during qualifying.

It was a match that desperately needed an early goal to force one team to abandon the tactical caginess that has been a feature of the opening round of fixtures.

It almost arrived when Ronaldo's 25-yard strike after 10 minutes swerved and dipped, easily defeating Boubacar Barry but finding the woodwork an altogether more difficult opponent.

It would have been a stunning end to a precise and swift build-up from the Portuguese - but it proved to be the high watermark in the match.

There were glimpses of real attacking intent from both sides, but all too often defensive and midfield players remained pinned back.

It left little room for the opposition to exploit with swift counter-attacking moves, while Ronaldo soon started to become frustrated with the close attention he received.

The Portuguese captain and Guy Demel were both booked after a brief confrontation, with Ronaldo perhaps a little unfortunate after referee Jorge Larrionda failed to spot a clear foul by the Ivorian moments earlier.

Portugal, who only managed 17 goals in their 10 qualifying games, failed to test Barry again after Ronaldo's early shot until the Elephants keeper stopped a weak header from the largely anonymous Liedson after 57 minutes.

Raul Meireles, industrious in midfield, had a shot deflected wide, while Ronaldo, who has not found the net for Portugal since February 2009, missed the target with a free-kick.

Ivory Coast, who conceded twice in every game during their debut appearance at a World Cup in 2006, had only mustered errant long-range strikes from Siaka Tiene and Ismael Tiote during the opening 45 minutes.

However, they made a more incisive opening to the second half and the impressive Gervinho drilled a strike across the face of goal, while Salomon Kalou was inches away from connecting with a cross from the right and finally forced Eduardo into action with a low shot from the edge of the box.

And it was the Ivorians who finished the game on top, without actually managing to break the deadlock.

Drogba stretched to reach a through ball but his attempted shot ended up being more of a cross even though he was little more than eight yards out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_13/default.stm

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles