India to set up gas line to Pakistan

Blackwater

India's plans of exporting gas to Pakistan via a pipeline from Jalandhar inPunjabto the Wagah-Attari border will soon become a reality.

In his maiden Budget presented in the Lok Sabha on Thursday, finance minister Arun Jaitley exempted liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports from customs duty if it is meant for onward sale to the neighbouring nation.

"Exemption from basic customs duty (of 5%) is being granted on re-gassified LNG for supply to Pakistan," the Budget said.

This will set the stage for the state-run Gail India Ltd, which plans to build a `500-crore pipeline to export five million units per day of regassified-LNG to Pakistan, to start work on the ground.

"Its an important project that will help improve bilateral diplomatic and economic ties between the two neighbours,"Dharmendra Pradhan, minister of state for petroleum, told HT.

"Broad parameters have been agreed to and a contract will also be signed shortly between the two sides after which it will take one year to build it," Gail CMD BC Tripathi told HT.

Interestingly, citing security concerns,New Delhihas put on hold a plan to be part of a `10,000-crore pipeline originating in Iran, passing through Pakistan and terminating in India to carry gas from Iran's South Pars gas fields. Security experts felt that being dependent on gas coming via Pakistan could compromise India's energy security.

But the Gail pipeline will be built entirely on Indian territory and terminate at the border, thus, making it relatively safer.

Faced with a serious gas shortage, Pakistan wants to import gas from India. Gail will import LNG in ships at ports on the Indian west coast and then pipe the gas to Jalandhar. The proposed 110-km pipeline will then carry the fuel to the Wagah-Attari border, from where Pakistan will supply it to Lahore.

The source added that Gail, which imports LNG at $13-14 per unit, would sell the gas to Pakistan at around $21. The cut in customs duty will bring down the cost.

India to set up gas line to Pakistan - Hindustan Times

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pakistan media headline read - Pakistan gassed by India!

Neo

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pakistan media headline read - Pakistan gassed by India!
I expect some srnsational Indian journos to do the same. :laugh:
We have idiots on both sides. :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I expect some srnsational Indian journos to do the same. :laugh:
We have idiots on both sides. :)
I wonder if they would paint such an aggressive picture of India's benign action.

Voldemort

Country flag
Don't pay attention to my replies to Blackwater, Jus and other trolls. It would.be waste of yout and my time. My ref to beef was a matching reply to an absurd but flaming question in post #2

I will ignore your remark about Jinnah because if one ate pork, his counterpart was in.bed with Lord Mountbatten. What was more pathetic in that timeframe?
Your country was founded on the basis of religion and it turned out that the founder was the most un-Islamic man. There is no comparison. Dont start being idiotic.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
@Neo Leaving Pork and beef ....
How will your media or even you think about India helping you out with Gas(Our interest is also involved)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pulkit

Country flag
@Voldemort @Neo world knows who ate what? who slept with whom and who wanted to but couldn't?...
Please back to topic....

Voldemort

Country flag
@Voldemort @Neo world knows who ate what? who slept with whom and who wanted to but couldn't?...
Please back to topic....
Then you must ask your dear friend to not flaim/troll by mentioning beef in a topic on gas.

Neo

@Neo Leaving Pork and beef ....
How will your media or even you think about India helping you out with Gas(Our interest is also involved)?
If the rumors are true and India is charging $21/btu I think its a no.go. Qatar is offerring $18 FOB and transportation or storage is not a problem.

If I were incharge, I.would reject it.

Neo

Then you must ask your dear friend to not flaim/troll by mentioning beef in a topic on gas.
I have already explained and defended why I mentioned beef. Control your trolls and you won't have any problems with.me.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If the rumors are true and India is charging $21/btu I think its a no.go. Qatar is offerring $18 FOB and transportation or storage is not a problem.

If I were incharge, I.would reject it.
You can still make Pakistan reject it.

Return to Pakistan as a Neo Mullah Qadri, the Toronto-area Mullah who catapulted onto Pakistan's Political stage.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have already explained and defended why I mentioned beef. Control your trolls and you won't have any problems with.me.
Maybe he was meaning it from the point of view that cows emit immense amount of methane! ;) :)

And by eating cows, Pakistan has a self created shortage in energy.

Biogas is the energy of the future, especially in developing nations, or maybe it does not apply to Pakistan since they feel they are a highly developed nation.

Pulkit

Country flag
@Voldemort @Neo Nobody has problems with no one... stop feeding the trolls....

Pulkit

Country flag
@Ray Sir please then we must change the topic and I will also jump in....

Voldemort

Country flag
You explained and then you edited your post and started flaiming again by drawing a stupid comparison.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles