Researchers in Hawaii find lost Japanese WWII mega-sub

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Researchers in Hawaii have found a mammoth World War II-era Japanese submarine scuttled by the U.S. Navy in 1946 to keep its advanced technology out of the hands of the Soviet Union.

The Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory at the University of Hawaii discovered the I-400 in 2,300 feet of water off the southwest coast of Oahu, according the school.

"Finding it where we did was totally unexpected," lab operations director and chief submarine pilot Terry Kerby said in a university statement. "All our research pointed to it being further out to sea."
Researchers in Hawaii find lost Japanese WWII mega-sub - CNN.com

In this 1940s photo provided by PBS, U.S. Navy personnel inspect the watertight hangar of the I-400 aircraft carrier submarine

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Yesterday I was Checked in the wiki about WW2 Ships ..It's totally amazing 74000 , 65000 Tons of AC from the Japs , and 35000+ Tons of Battle Ships by Japan US germens UK and More ..Really a worst piece of Analog machines

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
This will rejig the WW II nostalgia for many Japanese. Perhaps a bit of it is needed as well .. like a pill.
I'm wondering how much the Americans benefit from the technology used in the sub, before they scuttled it.

Waffen SS

It was an submarine aircraft carrier.

In WW2 several nations made this type subs, only Japanese used them in large scale.

I-400-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Type B1 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This submarine was scuttled by US after WW2 near Ohau. It is Type AM Submarine., and the plane is Aichi M6A1

Type AM submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aichi M6A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japanese submarine I-14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was Japanese Submarine I-14. Type AM submarines all though had a long range, but were less maneuverable making them easy targets, a problem which most Japanese submarines had in WW2. But had a great fire power. Type 93 Long Lance Torpedo was truly devastating.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
This will rejig the WW II nostalgia for many Japanese. Perhaps a bit of it is needed as well .. like a pill.
I'm wondering how much the Americans benefit from the technology used in the sub, before they scuttled it.
Ten years later the most advanced technology for subs was nuclear propulsion, but the submarine-launched Regulus missile may have benefited from the I-400 design.

First Regulus Missile Launched From A Submarine 1953 | Patriots Point News & Events

W.G.Ewald

Professional
why is there an aircraft on top of the sub ? seems more like a destroyer than a submarine........
The forward part of the I-400 superstructure (forward of the conning tower) was the hanger for the seaplane. It's shown open in the photo in the first post.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Because it is a submarine aircraft carrier.

[video=youtube_share;fgfZPjHENCM]http://youtu.be/fgfZPjHENCM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;WClE3A7BEXU]http://youtu.be/WClE3A7BEXU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;DpqWEAr6u9I]http://youtu.be/DpqWEAr6u9I[/video]

[video=youtube_share;BnqDl9ud9KI]http://youtu.be/BnqDl9ud9KI[/video]

why is there an aircraft on top of the sub ? seems more like a destroyer than a submarine........

Last edited:

Waffen SS

The forward part of the I-400 superstructure (forward of the conning tower) was the hanger for the seaplane. It's shown open in the photo in the first post.
It is not I-400 submarine, it is a Type AM submarine. It is I-14.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles