What do Indians think about Indians living abroad?

What do you think about Indians living in abroad?

• Total voters

ITBP

What do we think about Indian-American, Indian-Canadian etc?

I personally dont care and see them as common foreigners. I dislike when Indian media makes over hype over achievement of Indian-Americans(Sunita Williams) or Indian-British.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
What do we think about Indian-American, Indian-Canadian etc?

I personally dont care and see them as common foreigners. I dislike when Indian media makes over hype over achievement of Indian-Americans(Sunita Williams) or Indian-British.
Well for your question, I see them as fellow Indians and just like any of our people here. I also admire the achievements of Indians abroad. After all people like Satya Nadella,Sunita Williams have shown that Indians are not inferior to white people. Not only them but Indians in general are more prosperous and more educated than all other immigrants in most foreign countries. Indians kids also have been winning the spelling bee in USA for a long time now. I do not see any reason why we should dislike them. They have put in a lot of hard work and effort to go to US/UK and that is why they have been rewarded with a better life there. After all not everyone can go there if he just wishes to do so.

(P.S. Even though I see Indians abroad in the same light as people here in India I do make a few exceptions. I really hate people who live in US/UK and start spreading all kind of nonsense about that country. After all one should have something called gratefulness)

prohumanity

Country flag
I would like to inform Indian people that people like me who live here in USA feel a very strong unbreakable bond of love for India. India lives in our hearts each day even though the passport may not be Indian. It's a sense of gratitude and respect we have for our native motherland for making us strong and smart that we are valued everywhere in the World. It's not possible to pay that debt back to Bharat Mata. A person like me who received free college and professional education in India is specially indebted. Most people of Indian origin here in US feel a very close and loving connection with India and wish the best for India. The pride and celebration in the hearts of Indian origin people during and after the recent elections was intense and palpable.
We read and watch Indian news every day and hope that the people of this great civilization be happier and more prosperous. Our Indian civilization believes in ":Vasudev Kutambkam" there is no room for hate as we believe that the entire World is our family.

ITBP

Oh sorry, this thread was created only for those Indian origin people, like Sunita Williams, who has Indian ancestry but not Indian citizen. Persons Of Indian origin, not NRIs.
@Singh can this line be added in the first post?

I would like to inform Indian people that people like me who live here in USA feel a very strong unbreakable bond of love for India. India lives in our hearts each day even though the passport may not be Indian. It's a sense of gratitude and respect we have for our native motherland for making us strong and smart that we are valued everywhere in the World. It's not possible to pay that debt back to Bharat Mata. A person like me who received free college and professional education in India is specially indebted. Most people of Indian origin here in US feel a very close and loving connection with India and wish the best for India. The pride and celebration in the hearts of Indian origin people during and after the recent elections was intense and palpable.
We read and watch Indian news every day and hope that the people of this great civilization be happier and more prosperous. Our Indian civilization believes in ":Vasudev Kutambkam" there is no room for hate as we believe that the entire World is our family.
For blue part, all immigrants felt the same, when Germans, Spanish, Italians, Pole or Irish migrated to US or Canada they also felt same, but it not stop them from being American, Canadian or Brazilian etc. Why Indian Americans supported US during Devyani khobragade case? Showing love for India on internet and when it comes to US vs India then support US?

For bold part If all doctors, engineers and bright students go and settle in West, how India can prosper? India dos not need sympathy or well wish, India needs talented people.
@Peter too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voldemort

Country flag
I second that @ITBP. I see them as foreigners.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Thanks for your wishes, but no thanks.

We are getting up and growing, little by little, day by day and that's no thanks to the Indian diaspora overseas. I always welcome the fellows who go out to the world for a while and then come back in India, as everyone has full right to earn the good money - but I detest fellows who go out for a greener pasture and then preach us of how we can better ourselves. Particularly, there's a class like my uncle who worked there and after retirement comes here for winter season to express his love for his country and criticism for everything that is poor in here! Well, the country which sponsored his M. Tech in JU should have received back his service after that! No,he went out to have his Ph. D. in US and stayed back there for 35yrs for earning a living that is better than an Indian living.

And, I don't like the term 'vashudaiva kutumbakam' any more as the 'vashudaiva' has been proving to be not so much of a 'kutumbaka' for last 1000 years for us Indians.

Frankly, only we Indians who have to work, live and breath in Indian cities, townships or villages, and face the troubles and pleasures of evryday, feel the same disgust or pride for the same thing - are the only family we need. Not some people who has the mind like -"Yes, I love India, but it is unlivable.'

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Oh sorry, this thread was created only for those Indian origin people, like Sunita Williams, who has Indian ancestry but not Indian citizen. Persons Of Indian origin, not NRIs.
@Singh can this line be added in the first post?

For blue part, all immigrants felt the same, when Germans, Spanish, Italians, Pole or Irish migrated to US or Canada they also felt same, but it not stop them from being American, Canadian or Brazilian etc. Why Indian Americans supported US during Devyani khobragade case? Showing love for India on internet and when it comes to US vs India then support US?

For bold part If all doctors, engineers and bright students go and settle in West, how India can prosper? India dos not need sympathy or well wish, India needs talented people.

@Peter too.
You think there are enough opportunities in India. The reason talented people migrate is because there are no opportunities. Had they stayed back in India, they would have neither become talented nor sent any money back to their family.

Btw, a lot of people come back and try to do the best possible for the country.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Why there is a poll with an option to hate another person, Indian or otherwise, seems bizarre to me.

Voldemort

Country flag
Why there is a poll with an option to hate another person, Indian or otherwise, seems bizarre to me.
But nobody has voted for the 'hate' option. Indian media raises a storm whenever a Person of Indian Origin living abroad does something significant. What they dont realise is that the person is not Indian.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
They left India because there's not enough opportunity. They couldn't create opportunity through entrepreneurship because of corruption, bad policies, and crime. Even if both those factors checked out, there's simply much more money you can make out of your skills abroad.

So, no. I can't blame them.

My generation of Indians (80s-90s urban educated) are those who are beginning to develop entrepreneurship by playing by the rules set by this system of corruption, bad policy and crime (thankfully not crime in my case). Our businesses are increasingly engaging with the world around us. The more I see the world, the more I come to the conclusion that "look east" was not something politicians pulled out of their arses. There are genuine merits to engaging with the east, if you overcome the language barriers.

Country flag
India has not capitalized on the Indian diaspora like china has. Maybe modi will change things?
Remember many people of Indian origin may have left india generations ago like my family
They are not All first generation immigrants. The more time that goes by the less the attachment
Or connection to india.

Dhairya Yadav

Its not about Indians living in foreign, its about many indians who live here and try to speak English with accent, even with auto drivers!
They are just throwing their culture away because they think speaking English is 'cool'.
I dont understand how they come to such bizarre conclusion.
I have many relatives living abroad too but I think they are more "Indians" than some of the people living here in India .

Always value your culture and others culture too, but dont throw your own culture for the sake of being "cool" .

(PS- Half the times people who try to show off while speaking English look very funny while doing so :lol: )

Last edited:

Ashutosh Lokhande

Its not about Indians living in foreign, its about many indians who live here and try to speak English with accent, even with auto drivers!
They are just throwing their culture away because they think speaking English is 'cool'.
I have many relatives living abroad too but I think they are more "Indians" than some of the people living here in India .

Always value your culture and others culture too, but dont throw your own culture for the sake of being "cool" .

(PS- Half the times people who try to show off while speaking English look very funny while doing so :lol: )
You are too mature for a 17 year old. :p

Ahsan Bin Tufail

India offers a myriad set of opportunities in every field. Looking down at the history of UK in the 11th century, I found India to be far better than UK. Nation building is a slow process sometime even taking centuries. But fortunately, these times are a bit too much fast as we see rapid technological change everywhere especially in India. Indians staying abroad would realize that it is indeed a good time to return home. The skills they would bring from abroad would act as a catalyst in India's Development. Let's hope for the best.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag

Yo Kiddo......what makes you think Indian Culture is so great. There are so many aspects of Indian culture that are just utter garbage....to put it politely.
So before you talk about culture......go travel the world and compare your great Indian culture with others...then talk.

Do you ever wonder why nothing changes in India.....it doesnt matter how many different parties they are, or how many times you change governments, or how many elections you have - the corruption is still the same. That's a function of culture. Corruption is ingrained in Indian culture....another wonderful aspect of Indian culture.

jmj_overlord

most of them went to support their families back at home, also earnings made by them is good for our economy. So i see no reason to hate them, but just see them as fellow indians (not everyone)....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles