SSBN S-5 - India's next Generation nuclear submarine

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag

Drdo has shown glimpses of India's next generation SSBN S-5 illustration and related sonar development activities released by DRDO's Kochi-based Naval Physical & Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL). This will be built after current three Arihant class Submarine S-1, S-2 and S-3 submarine constructions are over.

Next Generation Nuke submarines will be much longer and will be carrying more power full reactor , but major development will be on weapons front which means new submarines will have more Launch tubes , which will enable it to carry more Ballistic missiles then the current capabilities of Arihant class Submarines .

Construction work on Next Generation submarine should start by 2020 has soon has work on construction of Arihant class submarines are over .

Drdo shows glimpse of India”s New Next Generation nuclear submarine | idrw.org

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
This will be built after current three Arihant class Submarine S-1, S-2 and S-3 submarine constructions are over.
:nono:

S-1 was the Prototype ... S-2 is Arihant and rest S-3 and S-4 is follow on Arihant Class
and wtf do they meant by construction will start by 2020 .. iirc S-3 will be launched by next year and hull of S-4 is ready too so if assume it takes 4 years to complete one Arihant Class SSBN then by 2016 all 3 would be ready then why wait for 4 full years to resume the construction

or they meant by SSS I-12 2020 it will be ready for deep sea trials ... :hmm:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
S2 is out for sea trials hope to see launch of S3 in one year and S4 in one half or two years, so they can start comstruction of next version of ATV wich will take 2-3 years. So by 2018 or so for sea trials.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Some what resembles the Delta class submarine and what is I-12? 12 SLBM?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Looks like it will have 8 tubes on one side. By that time A6 would be operational with MIRV. That will have major nuclear weapons under sea capable for any launch at short notice. I am talking about 16X3 nukes at sea in one sub.

agentperry

i think right now submarine construction facility in cochi is very small and no one is looking to expand it. it is constructing one sub at a time and more over its components are coming from far away places. it is also indicated that a single unit is looking after submarine construction and piece wise approach is being adopted- submarine construction starts-launched-taken to sea-trails-reactor starting-operationalizing and then cycle is repeated again- so one thing at a time this means subs will come out one by one and 2020 deadline(with this thing in mind) seems legit

trackwhack

Looks like it will have 8 tubes on one side. By that time A6 would be operational with MIRV. That will have major nuclear weapons under sea capable for any launch at short notice. I am talking about 16X3 nukes at sea in one sub.
Saya take a closer look. Looks like 12 tubes, six on either side behind the sail.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
That's why the name I-12 ... :nod:
How did he find 12 tubes in it? Those lines look like a print error, anyway this looks like an Ballistic Submarine and meant to compliment the Arihant which would be a Attack Submarine. This is going back to the old Soviet Cold war dual sub ideas.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
We really need to concentrate more on SSN's and build Fewer SSBN's!~
An amalgamation of both is what is necessary, instead of 12 tubes a Attack sub with 6 tubes and better speed would be good option for modern times.

trackwhack

We really need to concentrate more on SSN's and build Fewer SSBN's!~
I am sure after the first three that assures minimum deterrent, we will focus more on SSN's. Either way, we are already out of the league of either this or that. We need both and soon.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
An amalgamation of both is what is necessary, instead of 12 tubes a Attack sub with 6 tubes and better speed would be good option for modern times.
I would rather say we need an SSN with SLCM launch capability , simultaneously we need an SLCM with a 1000km+ range and nuclear weapon carrying capability!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we need multi subs like arihant, then we need superfast subs like ssk, then we need fully loaded boomer class with about 30 or more nukes per sub.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
btw what happened to our indigenous SSK .. iirc DRDO has developed AIP
The indigenous SSK is still some way off the original plan was to first buy 6 scorpenes and absorb the TOT then buy six more state of the art SSK's and absorb TOT from another submarine line as well before amalgamating the two with domestic research and Input to create our own SSK.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles