AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
New Wiki update: 23mm GSH-301 has been changed to 30mm GSH-301 canon. Wondering what planners of AMCA have in their minds? 23mm is suited for air-air burst where as 30mm is best suited for anti-vehicle purpose. 30mm canon has lower muzzle velocity, lower rate of fire and lesser ammunition to fire, but is the most accurate and causes heavy damage to both ground light/armoured vehicle and infantry. So which should be better? Should ADA design AMCA canon looking to aerial warfare or ground target?
Looking at test fire of GSH-301 whole plane is shaking

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Hmm...listening this for first time. How can AMCA be a 5th gen. program?! And 2 separate models for air superioty and ground attack! It is a multirole fighter, mean it can do all function in one sortie.
Stealth and high tech systems define 5th generation.
You may have not noticed in articles bro. AMCA is a program.
Just a LCA was to develop Tejas Mk- series.
Agree on rest of your post.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
May be a smart approach. As long as AMCA (using its superior stealth) detects first and take out adversary from beyond visual range, 23mm canon will be useless. I guess they will be essential for previous gen. unstealthy fighters. In case of a dogfight, pilot can use it. You can jam an AAM, but can't do the same with canon rounds. 30mm burst is accurate (though 1/3 or 1/4 ammo of 23mm canon), but way more lethal and can take out everything on the battlefield. So AMCA will be a true multirole bird.
I think AMCA can't dodge like F-16 in close counters.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I think AMCA can't dodge like F-16 in close counters.
AMCA will be a TVC equipped fighter with so greater thrust that it can supercurise. F-16 does't stand a chance provided these specifications are realized fully.

On other side note i am sadden to see IAF bending so much for Rafale that it refuses to see that its future is AMCA not Rafale. Any significant order of Rafale will cost 100 billion upwards. And infusion of 10 percent of it can bring AMCA as soon as 2025.

IAF needs to think future.

Superdefender

AMCA will be a TVC equipped fighter with so greater thrust that it can supercurise. F-16 does't stand a chance provided these specifications are realized fully.

On other side note i am sadden to see IAF bending so much for Rafale that it refuses to see that its future is AMCA not Rafale. Any significant order of Rafale will cost 100 billion upwards. And infusion of 10 percent of it can bring AMCA as soon as 2025.

How can we wake up someone if that fellow is acting to sleep? IAF knows that AMCA, being a 5th gen multirole bird, can easily outclass Rafale in every parameter. But alas, mentality of acquiring western fascinating stuffs fascinates them till date. What will we do with 36 Rafales when AMCA enters mass production?

[Fact: We can buy almost 130 MKIs with $12 billion budget!]

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
@Superdefender @Rahul Singh
Even if AMCA is superior to Rafale, even then ..IAF will be looking for foriegn maal.
I think big kickback is going on.If it doesn't ends here..let me tell you it gonna big problem for us..and also for future of our aeronautical industry.
Mark my words

Rahul Singh

Country flag
IAF has pride attached with Rafale "How can we let go after completing such complx evaluation ". But in favour of greater good it must. Piletus vs HTT-40 saga should serve as lesson.

Though it other thing that i also believe that there will be political implications of cancelling Rafale deal.

PaliwalWarrior

They are thinking about their ( personal) future

Superdefender

Any corruption in this scenario?
I don't know buddy about that. But as a science student, I am unable to understand how their minds work! Why is dear IAF so glued to Rafale like a life or death case? AMCA, being superior to Rafale and all MMRCAs, will come in next decade. Why can we not wait for a decade? What will happen? So much crying for sqdn. depletion!! Can anyone enlighten me what will we do with these 36 Rafales when AMCA comes? We can easily produce 36 AMCA in atleast 2 years then. So we are buying these - purpose only for a decade and some more!!!

Chinmoy

Country flag
New Wiki update: 23mm GSH-301 has been changed to 30mm GSH-301 canon. Wondering what planners of AMCA have in their minds? 23mm is suited for air-air burst where as 30mm is best suited for anti-vehicle purpose. 30mm canon has lower muzzle velocity, lower rate of fire and lesser ammunition to fire, but is the most accurate and causes heavy damage to both ground light/armoured vehicle and infantry. So which should be better? Should ADA design AMCA canon looking to aerial warfare or ground target?
Actually GSh-30-1 is 30 mm canon and what you are saying about the 23 mm canon is GSh-23, which is there in Tejas.

Chinmoy

Country flag
May be a smart approach. As long as AMCA (using its superior stealth) detects first and take out adversary from beyond visual range, 23mm canon will be useless. I guess they will be essential for previous gen. unstealthy fighters. In case of a dogfight, pilot can use it. You can jam an AAM, but can't do the same with canon rounds. 30mm burst is accurate (though 1/3 or 1/4 ammo of 23mm canon), but way more lethal and can take out everything on the battlefield. So AMCA will be a true multirole bird.
If someone either in designing team or from IAF is thinking like that, then they are biggest idiot IMHO. Its like taking away the side weapon from a rifleman since you have given him an accurate AR and tons of artillery support.
I think they might have (if) opted for GSh-30-1 is because of the weight and accuracy issue. GSh-23 which is build by OFB in India, being a double barrel, tends to be inaccurate then the single barrel GSh-30-1, which is a single barrel canon. Moreover with the range of rounds and its sheer size, the 30mm round packs more punch then the 23 mm one.

Superdefender

If someone either in designing team or from IAF is thinking like that, then they are biggest idiot IMHO. Its like taking away the side weapon from a rifleman since you have given him an accurate AR and tons of artillery support.
I think they might have (if) opted for GSh-30-1 is because of the weight and accuracy issue. GSh-23 which is build by OFB in India, being a double barrel, tends to be inaccurate then the single barrel GSh-30-1, which is a single barrel canon. Moreover with the range of rounds and its sheer size, the 30mm round packs more punch then the 23 mm one.
Have I mentioned something wrong? It seems we both are on same page to use GSH-30-1.

Superdefender

Yes we do, but to think that it would be used only for ground target is what I don't agree with.
No, I didn't say that 30mm canon could not be used in aerial combat. But here, 23mm will be more punch as they are lighter, rate of fire is more and have more ammo to shoot too. One more disadvantage of 30mm in air is that it will heat up very quickly as you have to engage in dogfight constantly.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles