Oil Exploration and reserves in India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I have always wondered why India being such a large country with varied geography has so little oil of its own.

I learnt that western oils exploration as well as a soviet ones said there can be no oil in India based on their studies. Was this a deliberate attempt back then to keep India an oil importing country so that we kept losing valuable foreign exchange in importing oil? Is this going to prove to us as a blessing in disguise as modern exploration techniques will help us find oil on Indian soil as much as off shore?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
ALL POST-RIFT FORCES act to deepen the pile of sediments (yellow) accumulating along the continental margins. Rivers deliver sediments to create deep sedimentary basins, like the one shown here in the Gulf of Mexico, that accumulate the source rock that matures into oil and gas after rapid burial and heating (see also: http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/ wwwr_thinkresearch.nsf/pages/quest198.html).
Image: COURTESY OF ROGER N. ANDERSON
Roger N. Anderson, a professor at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University, explains.

Plate tectonics determines the location of oil and gas reservoirs and is the best key we have to understanding why deserts and arctic areas seem to hold the largest hydrocarbon reserves on earth. But there are other important locations of large reserves: river deltas and continental margins offshore. Together, these four types of areas hold most of the oil and gas in the world today.

Oil and gas result mostly from the rapid burial of dead microorganisms in environments where oxygen is so scarce that they do not decompose. This lack of oxygen enables them to maintain their hydrogen-carbon bonds, a necessary ingredient for the production of oil and gas. Newly developing ocean basins, formed by plate tectonics and continental rifting, provide just the right conditions for rapid burial in anoxic waters. Rivers rapidly fill these basins with sediments carrying abundant organic remains. Because the basins have constricted water circulation, they also have lower oxygen levels than the open ocean. For instance, the Gulf of California, an ocean basin in development, is making new oil and gas in real time today. The Gulf of Mexico is also a great example of new oil and gas formation in a restricted circulation environment (see image at right above).

The same plate tectonics that provides the locations and conditions for anoxic burial is also responsible for the geologic paths that these sedimentary basins subsequently take. Continental drift, subduction and collision with other continents provide the movement from swamps, river deltas and mild climates--where most organics are deposited--to the poles and deserts, where they have ended up today by coincidence. In fact, the Libyan Sahara Desert contains unmistakable glacial scars and Antarctica has extensive coal deposits--and very likely abundant oil and gas--that establish that their plates were once at the other ends of the earth (see image at right).

Plate tectonics is also responsible for creating the "pressure cooker" that slowly matures the organics into oil and gas. This process usually takes millions of years, giving the oil and gas deposits plenty of time to migrate around the globe on the back of plate movements. Because these hydrocarbons are much more buoyant than water, they eventually force their way to the surface. Alternatively, rifting, collisions between land masses, and other tectonic forces can free the mature oil and gas from deep within sedimentary basins and then trap these organic fluids in reservoirs before they escape to the earth's surface. We know these reservoirs as oil and gas fields.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
From the previous post, I can say that India has had on of the intense tectonic activity in the world. One that led to tr rise of the Himlayas. Also huge water systems flowing from the himalayas. Why ha oil never been hunted with intensity in the gangetic plains?
A country like Azerbaijan which is made up of mountainous terrain has huge oil reserves. Why has India not gone after black gold with intensity? Like I said earlier, it may prove to be a blessing in disguise if we hit "gold" in the future in these areas.

sky

Well said ,i don't think India has really tried to find hydrocarbons and the policy of GOI has kept major oil companies away. Shale gas exploration in the canbay basin of the Gujarat coast is taking place at the moment.

The GSPC has 55% stake here and its said there is scope for finding large reserves of gas which will make the KD 6 block look tiny. As a gujarati i really hope they do find what there looking for.

ashicjose

We do have hydrocarbon reserves but the cost of production is high or same as imported oil and gas that's why we are not investing money to explore.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We do have hydrocarbon reserves but the cost of production is high or same as imported oil and gas that's why we are not investing money to explore.
If you have data on oil exploration on onshore reserves and the fact that it is expensive to drill, please post here.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Maybe GoI wants to keep it secret ? Loads of oil is an incentive for some countries to 'spread democracy' :D

ashicjose

If you have data on oil exploration on onshore reserves and the fact that it is expensive to drill, please post here.
in my knowledge drilling onshore is expensive than offshore.

ashicjose

hydrocarbons located in indian offshore is 6 to 10 times deeper than other oil producing nations.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
hydrocarbons located in indian offshore is 6 to 10 times deeper than other oil producing nations.
I am talking onshore. My contention, we have not seriously explored the length and breadth of the country to explore oil.

ashicjose

yes we are, thats why we recently stopped explorations in many places like malabar coast.

H.A.

Sir its just a connection that you are making here...however there would be a lot more reasons as to why oil has not been hunted or found, specially the time required and the investment required for drilling purposes....just imagine searching and mapping the whole Himalayan region kilometer by kilometer......it would take ages not counting how sensitive the region is politically, but yes the option will/might be explored when India has exhausted all the NELP's and there is no room for further Offshore drilling, then will come time for Onshore OIl searching.

H.A.

Oh my God.....!!!!! Did you read all the 262 pages?????

Good find....however the SL Sah link does mention that it is becoming difficult to find any oil in the region because it would have been percolated to regions which are not accessible at the moment.

Probably newer methods have to be found to find it or ONGC or any other company will need to have enough funds to tap that resource.

Sunder singh

i dont think we hav huge reserve as said bcoz their are lot private companies happy to tap it so we should concentrate nuclear and hydill power to reduce dependency on fosil feul import

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i dont think we hav huge reserve as said bcoz their are lot private companies happy to tap it so we should concentrate nuclear and hydill power to reduce dependency on fosil feul import
The government has not even sold all the blocks or exploration. The entire nation has not been scanned for oil.

Sunder singh

The government has not even sold all the blocks or exploration. The entire nation has not been scanned for oil.
yusuf can u enlighten us wat r blocks wat is criteria behind blocks how gov tell these blocks hav oil plz

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
yusuf can u enlighten us wat r blocks wat is criteria behind blocks how gov tell these blocks hav oil plz
-
An oil exploration block is a large area of land, typically in 1000s of sq. kilometers, that is awarded to oil drilling and exploration companies by a country's government. It is either awarded by the government and paid for by taxes on the company, or it is auctioned by the government that owns the land.

Companies who bid for land do so using calculated probabilities of striking oil in the land. However, in most auctions, the company does not have definitive proof that oil exists in the land for which it bids.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles