India's Nuclear Doctrine

Should India have tested a Megaton warhead during Pokran?

• Total voters

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
How fast and massive will be india's reaction to a paki nuke?
And i heard sometime ago that india's nuke doctrine has shifted from NFU to NFU against non-nuclear states.is it true ?
:0 :eek:
To prevent our deterrent to be taken out in a first strike by the enemy, all our nukes are in component form and separate from the missiles that will deliver them. So the core of the nuke is separated from the trigger and if the decision to go nuclear is taken, then first the bomb has to be assembled and then moved to the delivery platform and then launch. 72 hours at the least is what I read somewhere. Probably enough time for world leaders to stop us from retaliating. Though I doubt they would or if we would listen to them either.

Oracle

To prevent our deterrent to be taken out in a first strike by the enemy, all our nukes are in component form and separate from the missiles that will deliver them. So the core of the nuke is separated from the trigger and if the decision to go nuclear is taken, then first the bomb has to be assembled and then moved to the delivery platform and then launch. 72 hours at the least is what I read somewhere. Probably enough time for world leaders to stop us from retaliating. Though I doubt they would or if we would listen to them either.
In case of a major escalation of a conventional war, I guess the missiles are mated with the core and kept ready, side by side with the delivery platform|launch vehicle. Then it is just the trigger pressing the red button. And even if 72 hours are needed for all this, my hunch tells me that India can strike back within a couple of hours, after the first of the nukes fall on India. Afterall, it would take time for a conventional war to go nuclear.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
How fast and massive will be india's reaction to a paki nuke?
And i heard sometime ago that india's nuke doctrine has shifted from NFU to NFU against non-nuclear states.is it true ?
:0 :eek:
we are not on hair trigger alert for nukes, but rest assured the counter strike shall be massive, so much so that Pakistan as state would ceased to exists from the face of world.

about the bold part our doctrine says "No use against non nuke states" it is assurance to all the non nuke states that we will not force them with nuke war. These weapons are for defence and deterrence and not for aggression.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Pak's nuclear arsenal deterred India from carrying out attacks: Nawaz Sharif

Pakistan's nuclear arsenal deterred India from carrying out any attacks and made the country's defence impregnable, former premier Nawaz Sharif has claimed.

"India could have attacked Pakistan many times but due to Pakistan being an atomic power, India could not gather the courage to do so," said Sharif, who heads the main opposition PML-N party.

Pakistan emerged as a nuclear power after conducting a series of nuclear tests in 1998, when Sharif was the premier.

Addressing a gathering yesterday to mark the anniversary of Pakistan's nuclear tests, Sharif said that conducting the atomic explosions during his tenure made the defence of Pakistan impregnable.

Since then, this capability has discouraged "enemies" from casting an evil eye on Pakistan, he said.

Sharif recalled that when India conducted its nuclear test in May 1998, he was on an official visit to Kazakhstan.

He said he had then immediately decided that Pakistan would conduct a nuclear test.

It took 17 days for Pakistan to successfully carry out its nuclear tests on May 28, 1998, he said.

Sharif said he had rejected a economic aid package of Rs 15 billion and decided to go ahead with the nuclear tests.

Pakistan, by becoming a nuclear power, broke the "beggar's bowl", he claimed.

"It was not easy to test the nuclear bomb and I waited for 17 days," Sharif said, adding Pakistan's security was strengthened by the explosions.

"I was told that I would be blown away if I gave a befitting reply to the Indian atomic explosions. I conducted the explosions, the nation did not make me explode but (former military ruler Pervez) Musharraf blew up my government," he said.

Sharif said President Asif Ali Zardari had a discussion with him to give indemnity to Musharraf when he decided to step down in 2008.

He said Zardari had shown no interest in "becoming the president back then" and took over the presidency through deception.

"I was shocked when he became the President and so were the people of Pakistan," he said.

He further said the PML-N did not vote for Zardari as the president.

The gathering was organised by the Nazria-e-Pakistan Trust, which is headed by Majid Nizami, the editor-in-chief of The Nation newspaper.

Nizami said the nuclear tests silenced threats that Pakistan's "arch enemy" India had begun to hurl immediately after its nuclear tests in 1998.

Pak's nuclear arsenal deterred India from carrying out attacks: Nawaz - Indian Express

lcatejas

Rassi jal gayi par bal nahi gaya ... ga@#$@ me dum nahi hum kisi se kam nahi ...:laugh:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Since 1999 alone Pakistan's nukes have successfully deterred india from taking war into pakistan.be it 1999 kargil war where india was forced to make it a localized conflict under the shadow of nukes.or be it 20001 parliament attack after which india amassed its army at border but couldnot dare to cross it for fear of nukes. or be it 2008 mumbai attacks after which india all together left option of millitary action under the threat of nukes.In a way Pakistan has successfully attacked india using its strategic assets and simultaneously was able to deter india from militarily attacking pakistan.Its in a way huge success for pakistan that it can attack its 7-times bigger enemy without fear of retribution now.I would rather say pakistan has strategically won over india using its assests only think if pakistan use its army along with assets wat will happen to india then.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Since 1999 alone Pakistan's nukes have successfully deterred india from taking war into pakistan.be it 1999 kargil war where india was forced to make it a localized conflict under the shadow of nukes.or be it 20001 parliament attack after which india amassed its army at border but couldnot dare to cross it for fear of nukes. or be it 2008 mumbai attacks after which india all together left option of millitary action under the threat of nukes.In a way Pakistan has successfully attacked india using its strategic assets and simultaneously was able to deter india from militarily attacking pakistan.Its in a way huge success for pakistan that it can attack its 7-times bigger enemy without fear of retribution now.I would rather say pakistan has strategically won over india using its assests only think if pakistan use its army along with assets wat will happen to india then.
Really? So tell me one war before Nuclear deterrence where India started it? Bring in a neutral source as evidence.

We know all the negative propaganda you get in your country against kafirs that leads you to war.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Really? So tell me one war before Nuclear deterrence where India started it? Bring in a neutral source as evidence.

We know all the negative propaganda you get in your country against kafirs that leads you to war.
nawaz sharief here talked about deterrence after 1998 nuke test and for which i already mentioned 3 incidents where nuke deterrence had successfully worked for pakistan with in last 13 yrs.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
nawaz sharief here talked about deterrence after 1998 nuke test and for which i already mentioned 3 incidents where nuke deterrence had successfully worked for pakistan with in last 13 yrs.
yeah it has worked for Pakistan, but if we escalate the ladder their is nothing much they can do,but we have sane people here.

lcatejas

Its not because of nukes India got scared and drop the idea to war with Pak.. but the main reason is pak has noting to lose ..people of pak can survive eating grass .. but not Indians... citizen of pak are fools (jahil) not indians.. You punks dont have vision you can't see beyond defeating India but we have visions..Our politicians don't use NUKES as agenda to foll the people ...:frusty:

Last edited:

latsar

Pakistan should be very careful in foolishly provoking India.India can still afford to loose 200 million of It's population and bounce back even stronger could Pakistan afford to loose 200 million.

trackwhack

Q: what exactly has pakistan won since 1999?
A: Nothing

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Deterrence is till it works.
What if is it does not?
Are you all prepared for that collective mass suicide and the national Shahadat? That will be a shame for Islam and its tenets..

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Subah ho gayi mamoo... jag jao ab.

Pakistan got slapped badly not just by India but also by your new bf China who asked you to back off in 1999. Pakistan was heart broken at last and surrendered by backing off LoC and we saw Nawaz Ganja crying and begging to India to ceasefire. :lol:
India used it's jets and cooked 4000 pakis while Pakis couldn't respond and refused to even take dead bodies back.And after 10 years put the list of dead soldiers on it's websites. What a besharam kaum Pakis are.... cheee cheee :tsk:

Whatever else you are making up is to satisfy your false ego of "1 Paki= 10 hindoos" and claiming clear defeats into "wins".

India took a wise decision in a long term by not attacking Pakistan... look the result... 35,000 Pakis butchered and sovereignty BRUTALLY RAPED each day by your old bf US by drone dicks. :lol:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Since 1999 alone Pakistan's nukes have successfully .........
since the early 1990's pak's nukes have succeeded in accomplishing PM Bhuttos vision of making the people eat gr .....not he himself nor his family nor the political class, but the people .......the software genius girl ranhdhwa is one casualty , the poverty among the NWFP allows continued talebanization , the breakdown of civil society , the list goes on and on ........

.... all for the sake of rabble-rousing ability of a philosophy kept alive by a few who exempt themselves from paying the same price as the commoners

pak's continual blaming the neighbour for everything and anything is a classic case of FEEDBACK CONTROL SYSTEMS which is studied in a n umber of faculties eg maths , engineering science ........ APPLIED to society ....

they generate the ( irrational ) fear and keep multiplying it via feedback systems ( never mind the control ) till now it is out of control into a state of frenzy and all of pak society pays the price

in comparison , india's better thought out NFU is more suitable , at least to date - if and when it needs tweaking, then we'll see about it !

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
i am one of the very few who voted against the idea of a megaton test in 1998

main reason being the TIMING - not the concept of having the megatons

by testing what were essentially tactical nukes and neutron-radiation deices of limited and controlled
strength, i believe the vajpayee administration succeeded very shrewdly to achieve multiple objectives

one of them was forcing pak's hand to declare their capability to the world - and thus the BEWARE attitude and awakening the west to pak !

if india had gone megaton it would have sent undue shock-waves and all the nuke cooperation we're now getting from canada , australia usa france etc etc would have been unnecessarily delayed and restricted in scope ...let alone charges of irresponsibility ( yes hypocritical but that was the reality ) .... today india is the big winner for her patience and is undergoing an IMAGE -RENAISSANCE worldwide as a most responsible up-coming revived great nation - not in a small way due to the wise patience of the scientists and top leaders . .

AFAIK the Indian scientists could readily have done a megaton but wisely chose against ! goood strategy ! jai hind !

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think Indian scientists have tested battle ready nuke bombs this is clearly reflected in the pics showing them lowering the bomb in the shaft .

this bomb, fit perfectly into this RV cone of the Agni 2 missile

It also appears that Indian scientists and defence planners calculated that they have only one window to test the device therefore they tested all the designs with them.
Since they tested on May 11, 1998, India tested three devices at the Pokhran underground testing site, followed by two more tests on May 13, 1998. The nuclear tests carried out at 3:45 pm on May 11th were claimed by the Indian government to be a simultaneous detonation of three different devices - a fission device with a yield of about 12 kilotons (KT), a thermonuclear device with a yield of about 43 KT, and a sub-kiloton device. The two tests carried out at 12:21 pm on May 13th were also detonated simultaneously with reported yields in the range of 0.2 to 0.6 KT.

It appears that they have tested all the 5 in weapon mode and from the data it appears that they were playing with sub-kiloton, which means they were that time working on tactical nukes. Later when we have tested Agni series missile with low circular error probability (within single digit), it looks like they are going to make light weight nukes with good accuracy, so as to limit the damage caused. These small nukes will also become handy for MIRVs for Agni 5 series and Agni 3+ and Agni 4. Focus is now on accurate delivery with small nuke rather then large city busters type thermo nukes.

Neil

Country flag
@ saya sir.....:: sir why do we need tactical nukes...?? considering no first use policy we need nukes that can wipe a city with a sing warhead....and a megaton warhead achieves the objective superbly add to that pinpoint accuracy of our missiles...

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@ saya sir.....:: sir why do we need tactical nukes...?? considering no first use policy we need nukes that can wipe a city with a sing warhead....and a megaton warhead achieves the objective superbly add to that pinpoint accuracy of our missiles...
true that city buster type of thermo nuke is for deterrence, but at the end of the day those city busters dont take out enemy nukes, for that you need tactical nukes which can damage enemy storage of missiles and nukes, plus at the end of the day it is not civilians but the military which is going to take decision, so you need tactical nukes for military which is real deterrence. That is why it appears that our planners have tested and played with sub kiloton nukes more then the regular and thermo nukes. If you see the images of the impact after the blast, it will make it clear that they are going for pin point accuracy with small tactical nukes.

lets say for true deterrence enemy should know that we are going to take out 80% of their military, 60-75% of their industrial capacity and about 30-40% of their population, then he will think that risk with nukes are not worth taking, only then deterrence will work (we are not talking about Pakistan here, Pakistanis are insane and they will end up out of world map).

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
True war has not cross Pakistani border, but it is equally true that since after 1971 it is only in 1999 and after that Pakistan has come close to be wipe out of world map any other miscalculation and ajtr you will see Pakistani flag in museum and Pakistan in only history books as the stupidest nation of the wold.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles