Indian Army: News and Discussion

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Tractor is good for marshy fields. But I dislike Kugaad mentality. I mean how hard would have been to work with one of many small scale tractor companies in Punjab for better customized solution. Armored tractors are not rare. But fighting tractors like above are rare. An electric tractor for eg in above role would be much better than a racket producing diesel engine
an electric tractor would be very bad and apart from few cases electric powered vehicles are itself very bad for military usage firstly electrics have small range if range have to be increased bigger battery is to be fixed which would increase the weight in 100s of kilograms which itself defeats the purpose of a mobile vehicle for mardhy fields electrics maybe better for civillian on a good roads too

AnantS

Country flag
an electric tractor would be very bad and apart from few cases electric powered vehicles are itself very bad for military usage firstly electrics have small range if range have to be increased bigger battery is to be fixed which would increase the weight in 100s of kilograms which itself defeats the purpose of a mobile vehicle for mardhy fields electrics maybe better for civillian on a good roads too
Electric tractors are reality and even employed on paddy fields. Specialized tractors like this are carried on trailer and not really asked travel the long distance.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Electric tractors are reality and even employed on paddy fields. Specialized tractors like this are carried on trailer and not really asked travel the long distance.
ok you need a tractor mounted with atgm right now but it would charge for 3-5 hrs more so you are without anything for 3-5hrs

a 75hp tractor (diesel) cost same as a 40hp (electric) tractor

plus there maybe a case where you dont have electricity (whole pak maybe :rofl: )then you would be having problems too diesel is readily available though

the only thing electric tractors would get on the table is that its silent but if you are firing atgm silence may not be a big factor

plus a electric atv would be better than an electric tractor since we are talking bout makeshift vehicles which gets the job done

Samej Jangir

Country flag
Move aside bitches Tactical tractor is here

View attachment 253148
Military tractors have long been used by army for towing, logistics and construction/demolition acitivities. But this tractor looks funny & does not make much sense to carry just 5-6 small loads. Those ATGMs weight in total about 60-80kgs and is underloading the tractor by a huge margin.

Some of the military tractors are:
PZM2 (Russia):
1715843857626.png

WW2 tractors:
1715843936598.png
1715843997443.png
1715844022370.png

JCB defence consruction unit:
1715844276413.png

Blood+

Country flag
there are two ways to look at this:
1) apply gyan, be judgemental
If the situation calls for it, then YES, that's precisely what we should do and this one DOES qualify.

2) try to figure out what is the problem that "real end user" is trying to solve using these crude methods.
What is there to figure out, really?? Even a child can see what they're trying to do here, that being emulating the Russian ATGM tactics that decimated Ukrainian armored assaults even before they could reach the first line of defense, which in turn, is an evolution of the mobile recoilless anti-tank tactics which was put to devastating use by that absolute Gigachad of a Grenadier CQM and his comrades.

The tactics relies on speed and concealment and this particular contraption fails in both category!! Therefore, it must be pointed out before it ends up killing someone.

in my view, IA is doing the right thing by encouraging the soldier to come up with solutions.
Which is indeed a pleasant and commendable change, a change which had been long overdue. We should definitely nurture it. But that doesn't mean you can not point out a flaw that should be obvious to a complete lay person even.

Last edited:

Samej Jangir

Country flag
Tractor is good for marshy fields. But I dislike Kugaad mentality. I mean how hard would have been to work with one of many small scale tractor companies in Punjab for better customized solution. Armored tractors are not rare. But fighting tractors like above are rare. An electric tractor for eg in above role would be much better than a racket producing diesel engine
Why would you want electric vehicles for army? Army vehicles are meant to blow up and destroy enemy infrastructure, and asking them to be less polluting is ridiculous. Also, even if it is about noise reduction, it is still impractical as no one will have a charging station in the middle of a forest or a mountain. So, the tractor would be stuck on some mountain top with no charge to comeback.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Military tractors have long been used by army for towing, logistics and construction/demolition acitivities. But this tractor looks funny & does not make much sense to carry just 5-6 small loads. Those ATGMs weight in total about 60-80kgs and is underloading the tractor by a huge margin.

Some of the military tractors are:
PZM2 (Russia):
View attachment 253161

WW2 tractors:
View attachment 253162 View attachment 253163 View attachment 253164

JCB defence consruction unit:
View attachment 253165
But by defination all 3 are tractors too bu i guess we are discussing the smaller ones which are used plenty in india (3rd pic )
1715844836278.png
1715844882862.png

1715845171102.png

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
If the situation calls for it, then YES, that's precisely what we should do and this one DOES qualify.

What is there to figure out, really?? Even a child can see what they're trying to do here, that being emulating the Russian ATGM tactics that decimated Ukrainian armored assaults even before they could reach the first line of defense, which in turn, is an evolution of the mobile recoilless anti-tank tactics which was put to devastating use by that absolute Gigachad of a Grenadier CQM and his comrades.

The tactics relies on speed and concealment and this particular contraption fails in both category!! Therefore, it must be pointed out before it ends up killing someone.

Which is indeed a pleasant and commendable change, a change which had been long overdue. We should definitely nurture it. But that doesn't mean you can not point out a flaw that should be obvious to a complete lay person even.
as long as the takeaway from this discussion is that innovation should be encouraged i am fine with it.

and this pic below was from last year..
and there should be one more pic somewhere, where tractor bonnet is usual factory colour.

usually in improvised innovations category, they are usually trying to solve specific localised problems, not all of known problems. this sort of innovation path is linear in nature, because of limited resources and skills they have at hand.

1715845754455.png

if it's SW command again this new pic belongs to, from their point of view there seems to be improvement from last time.

one thing they are trying to solve is mobility, and unable to see the second one in salient features.
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 1.06.14 PM.png

karn

Country flag
This won't be ever used in attack only in defence during war around wet marshy fields of North or during coin situations. You are hoping too much from tractor as war platform. It's a jugaad and only being employed in the situations where big vehicles fails. Height of tractor has its own advantages .. think about sarkanda grass and you will understand. Batteries could be swapped. And electric tractors are being built with this in mind. But yeah we are just eating too much pixels for a debate which will not yield any value.
In defence the contact line infantry will have all the ammo it needs stockpiled in ammo bunkers and pits .. It is the assaulting infantry that needs some transport to bring up resupply .And to do this in an area where other vehicles cannot traverse is even better.

mokoman

Country flag
does any army in the world use farming tractors in combat roles , i could only find north korea .

pyongyangs-dreaded-wunderwaffe-tractors-v0-uttk4do34ip81.jpg_stripped.jpg

3hmk9hm1ffm71 (1).jpg_stripped.jpg

IA already have these. u can use these in any type of terrain .

indian-army-atv-with-konkurs-atgm-during-military-exercises-v0-nh2t70pnavf91.jpg_stripped.jpg

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
does any army in the world use farming tractors in combat roles , i could only find north korea .

View attachment 253195
View attachment 253196

IA already have these. u can use these in any type of terrain .

View attachment 253190
I think now I understand IA's viewpoint.

Look at both of these images, what do you notice similar (apart from ATGMs) ?

]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Both are good off-road, high-mobility platforms that can traverse difficult terrain with ease.

I think the spectacle might have been like this -

[Army Major showing off the new Polaris ATV] This platform can go anywhere even on tough hilly terrain or muddy floodplains, a great boost to our capability.

[Unit JCO scratching head] Ustaad yeh toh chota tractor hai ... ?

[Army Major, Laughing] Aree nhi, this costs 3 times more than your village tractor and move anywhere, can your Tractor climb these hills ?

[Unit JCO] Ustaad tractor pakka chala jayega, race lgaye kya ?

[Tractor Wins, soldiers laughing]

[Army Major, hesitatingly]
We need to buy tractors....

Mr.Evil007

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think now I understand IA's viewpoint.

Look at both of these images, what do you notice similar (apart from ATGMs) ?

]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Both are good off-road, high-mobility platforms that can traverse difficult terrain with ease.

I think the spectacle might have been like this -

[Army Major showing off the new Polaris ATV] This platform can go anywhere even on tough hilly terrain or muddy floodplains, a great boost to our capability.

[Unit JCO scratching head] Ustaad yeh toh chota tractor hai ... ?

[Army Major, Laughing] Aree nhi, this costs 3 times more than your village tractor and move anywhere, can your Tractor climb these hills ?

[Unit JCO] Ustaad tractor pakka chala jayega, race lgaye kya ?

[Tractor Wins, soldiers laughing]

[Army Major, hesitatingly]
We need to buy tractors....
Everything is fine but these type of vehicles should be stealthy no?the smoke?the sound?also if they get spotted how quick can they escape?

AnantS

Country flag
In defence the contact line infantry will have all the ammo it needs stockpiled in ammo bunkers and pits .. It is the assaulting infantry that needs some transport to bring up resupply .And to do this in an area where other vehicles cannot traverse is even better.
Defense doesn't mean you are always have luxury of fighting from bunkers... What if an armored assault ingresses in your area especially plains of north west.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Don't know whether to laugh or to cry
View attachment 253160
Sometimes I feel that UN Generals try to mock MoD by doing such stupidity. They want to Highlight that how poor they are prepared so government will give them money for shopping.

I don't know How UN Generals would have taken trials of these Tractors which are remotely not built for conflicts. How UN Generals would have decided Lowest bidder (L1 ) ??

Maybe, one of UN Generals owns tractor agency hence ordered multiple tractors to get some benefits.

Mr.Evil007

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Sometimes I feel that UN Generals try to mock MoD by doing such stupidity. They want to Highlight that how poor they are prepared so government will give them money for shopping.

I don't know How UN Generals would have taken trials of these Tractors which are remotely not built for conflicts. How UN Generals would have decided Lowest bidder (L1 ) ??

Maybe, one of UN Generals owns tractor agency hence ordered multiple tractors to get some benefits.
The funny part is they chucked some leaves over it like its gonna help :pound: (stealth+100)

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Funniest part is
Modification costed them just 6000rs

Global Defence

New threads

Articles