Yusuf's new article: India Asserts Its Role in the Indian Ocean

sob

Mod
Country flag
Yes Yusuf is the great strategic thinker. His ideas are very good and I am aware that many people are now bouncing ideas off him, to write their articles.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@ Zafar Sareshwala, oops, @Yusuf,

Great one that.

Fantastic.

Never knew what India did.

You revealed it.

Thanks for educating us.

We feel proud as Indians, as you do with such an article.

Well done, young man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes Yusuf is the great strategic thinker. His ideas are very good and I am aware that many people are now bouncing ideas off him, to write their articles.
Kya sir le rahe ho

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
@Yusuf- cooperation in Indian Ocean is important but boots on ground I am not sure.

Unless there is an empty island or completely favourable local population like in the Falklands, I do not think having military base makes sense. I could not find the article why we specifically need military bases on foreign grounds.

Yes, denial of military bases to China must be the policy but do we need active Indian military bases? No.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Yusuf- cooperation in Indian Ocean is important but boots on ground I am not sure.

Unless there is an empty island or completely favourable local population like in the Falklands, I do not think having military base makes sense. I could not find the article why we specifically need military bases on foreign grounds.

Yes, denial of military bases to China must be the policy but do we need active Indian military bases? No.
Naval bases important both to keep enemy out and also to have control over the region

GUNS-N- ROSES

The tussle between India and China for dominance in Indian ocean region will is gonna continue. China knows it can put pressure on India by increasing activities in IOR. India on the other hand is trying desperately to ward off/limit Chinese influence in the region.

I say it is time now to take fight out to the south china sea. already india is making efforts to make its presence felt in the region. it is time now to adopt a more aggressive stance and do exercises with like minded countries.

I think it would make sense to acquire an island for commercial use. enough to provide a footstep to india in case of any need. presence of a military base will not be suitable at this juncture but a commercial acquisition can be made.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Naval bases important both to keep enemy out and also to have control over the region
But why Indian naval bases and not strategic denial to China? India has geographical superiority as compared to China when it comes to Indian Ocean. It would show non-imperial ambitions of India and no political interference in the islands generating more goodwill in the long run.

So, I do not see why India should not pursue strategic denial.

GUNS-N- ROSES

well not really. yes of course we would want to have a naval military base in the south china sea region but honestly speaking we are not in a position to antagonise china to this extent. also, I don't think Chinese neighbours would want to take this extreme step.

what is important to have a 02 - 03 submarines constantly patrolling south china sea. these can be nuclear or with AIP. these can give adequate force projection.

we can acquire commercial airstrip or one of the docking yard on one of the islands.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But why Indian naval bases and not strategic denial to China? India has geographical superiority as compared to China when it comes to Indian Ocean. It would show non-imperial ambitions of India and no political interference in the islands generating more goodwill in the long run.

So, I do not see why India should not pursue strategic denial.
China is actively looking to set up bases in IOR. It is courting Mauritius, Seychelles and east African countries for it. We just have had a scare of the prospect of Chinese base in SL which we have probably taken care now after the new government came in. Just relying on our geography isnt enough. By having bases in various countries, we will be able to effectively control the region.

Eg: Maldives wouldnt have happened if we had a base there and the country depended on us for security. We need to make sure that we are the only security provider/guarantor in the IOR

no smoking

Country flag
Funny!
After writing thousands words about the pathetic Chinese navy presence in India, there is not a single words for US navy--the No.1 force in Indian Ocean.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Funny!
After writing thousands words about the pathetic Chinese navy presence in India, there is not a single words for US navy--the No.1 force in Indian Ocean.
Did the fact that US has no territorial disputes with India unlike China enter your mind genius?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Funny!
Indian and US interests are converging. US has left the patrolling of Malaccas to India. Every increasing joint exercises between India and US points to the larger scheme of things between our two countries. We have no issues with the USN right now or in the near future.

no smoking

Country flag
Indian and US interests are converging. US has left the patrolling of Malaccas to India. Every increasing joint exercises between India and US points to the larger scheme of things between our two countries.
Unlike China, US already has her military base in Indian Ocean;
Unlike China, US can send an overwhelming navy force into Indian Ocean with a week;

In another words, India can only carry out her role within the range of the permission of USN.

We have no issues with the USN right now or in the near future.
I would say that India has no capability or potential to have issue with USN in the near future.
Under such a circumstance, it is laughable to talked about India's ocean.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Unlike China, US already has her military base in Indian Ocean;
Unlike China, US can send an overwhelming navy force into Indian Ocean with a week;

In another words, India can only carry out her role within the range of the permission of USN.

I would say that India has no capability or potential to have issue with USN in the near future.
Under such a circumstance, it is laughable to talked about India's ocean.
It is no more laughable than China's SCS policy.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Interest in island republics is necessary for balancing the pursuit of its strategic interests with the preservation of its regional relationships and alliances.

The necessity to have overreaching influence in the Indian Ocean republics is because it can become an "arc of instability", as seen recently in the Maldives, which can jeopardise Indian security interests.

Bases are essential for Proximity to pivotal regions and for having Pre-positioned equipment and personnel, for quicker response than what is feasible from Mainland India.

It is an undeniable fact that China's hegemonic pursuits will not fade, nor will China's malevolent, lascivious ogling on Indian territory fade, notwithstanding bogus disclaimers like what Liu Jianchao, China's assistant foreign Minister said about the Gwadar - Xinjiang economic corridor not transgressing any disputed territory between India and Pakistan since China has taken a neutral stand on that issue. Maybe, he thinks Gilgit Baltistan is already a part of China since Chinese troops are positioned there.

China practically gifting eight submarines to Pakistan will increase the potential of the Pakistan Navy being capable of firing nukes in the future. And it is and undeniable reality that China is increasing its footprint in the Indian Ocean.

Therefore, it becomes essential for India to preposition resources in bases on friendly overseas island republic so that surveillance signature becomes shorter and cost productive and sea denial (maintaining a fleet in being that threatens offensive operations without actually conducting them) become effective.

China's hegemonic greed is beyond redemption as is being seen in the South China Sea. It is converting reefs into island and building airstrips and bases. There is no guarantee that China will not undertake chicanery in the Indian Ocean. Already, she is busy enforcing her String of Pearls strategy.

It is time to nip the evil eye in the bud.

India and US have a common goal in the Indian Ocean and each have their tasks clearly chalked out in a complementary force multiplier matrix and neither is dependent on the other's go ahead to operate. However, it may please juvenile minds to surmise that the US runs the show.

The Chinese growth rate dramatically slowing down and India on the rise has put China in a spot and serious concern about her hegemonic high.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles